+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree854Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Mary is okay, but I'm an Edith fan. I feel for her now and am anxious to know how her situation is resolved. I wonder what she and her aunt have in mind. Oh, never mind. I saw the previews for the next episode and see what they have in mind. That's really extreme though. It would be difficult to do too.

We're not quite done with season 4, but news is already being released about cast additions for season 5 of Downton Abbey:

Richard E. Grant, Anna Chancellor Among ‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5 Additions

By NANCY TARTAGLIONE, International Editor | Friday, 14 February 2014 15:27 UK

Carnival Films and ITV have set a handful of new names to join the cast of Downton Abbey as it heads into its 5th season.

Richard E. Grant will play Simon Bricker who visits the estate as a guest of the Granthams. Anna Chancellor (The Hour), fresh off a West End production of Private Lives, is also coming aboard in the guest role of Lady Anstruther. Rade Sherbedgia (Snatch, Taken 2) will play Russian refugee, Kuragin, who has fled the Russian revolution after World War I.

Downton executive producer Gareth Neame said, “We are delighted to welcome these talented actors to the world of Downton. The characters they play are set to bring yet more excitement and intrigue to the show.” Returning guest cast member Dame Harriet Walter will also reprise her role as Lady Shackleton, and Peter Egan will return as Lord Flintshire. Last season, the series added a host of actors in key roles, including bringing Paul Giamatti on for the Christmas movie.

Season 4 of Downton saw the period drama’s strongest ever launch in the UK, with 12M viewers and a 40% share. It averaged 11.8M viewers across the run. In the U.S., its January bow hit a record high of 15M viewers. Season 5 will run for the usual eight episodes and a two-hour Christmas special. Returning stars include Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville, Michelle Dockery, Elizabeth McGovern, Jim Carter, Penelope Wilton, Phyllis Logan, Samantha Bond, Laura Carmichael, Lily James, Allen Leech, Brendan Coyle, Joanne Froggatt, Lesley Nicol, Sophie McShera, Rob James-Collier, Ed Speleers, Kevin Doyle, Raquel Cassidy, David Robb, Tom Cullen, Julian Ovenden, Daisy Lewis, Douglas Reith, Jeremy Swift and Andrew Scarborough.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Mary is okay, but I'm an Edith fan.
    I know Mary did a lot of evil things to Edith but the one thing I just can't forgive Edith for is writing to the Turkish embassy to tell them that Permooke(sp?) died in Mary's room. That was just so disloyal to the whole family. And I really thought that something besides Mary's ruined reputation was going to come from it. Especially when Lord Grantham himself thought it possible the Turk had been poisoned. So I've never really been able to "warm up" to Edith even though I do feel sorry for her at times. This being one of them. I have been curious about the papers her boyfriend had her sign before he left. I'm worried that some how she's going to be labeled a traitor. I don't quite believe that he's trying to become German just to get a divorce.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

I've never been able to warm up to Edith either. I've really never seen any warmth from her. I don't much like her boyfriend either though I guess I can't be appalled about his wanting to become German since in this time period, I guess fewer people were really aware of what was to happen there in a few years. On the other hand, a lot of British were not ant-Hitler in the beginning and the boyfriend, whose in the news business, might not be unaware of it or might be a sympathizer.

I'm just speculating here, but I have to say that would not astonish me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I thought the same thing Florimel when he first said he was going to become German but then Edith said something like, "You'd be willing to become one of the most hated nationality to marry me..."
    Debb70 likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

I think Edith's comment was more about the fact that they had just fought WW1 against Germany, and not about what Germany would become in the years ahead.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Yes, I agree, that Edith was probably referring to WWI which had ended only a few years earlier. I'm not sure what part of the '20's they're in right now, but I think it's closer to the early years.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I only hope they don't drag out the Mr Green sudden death, and did Mr Bates do it..... I'm just glad that Green is gone! I like both of Mary's suitors and especially like that she isn't ready to entertain the thought of remarriage. For some unknown reason I favor Lord Gillingham.
    Edith is growing on me, her pregnancy may be as scandalous as Mary's was with the dead Turkish Ambassador scandal. We all make mistakes in life, I do think that Edith's character has learned from some of hers through out this series just as Mary did. I love that Rosalind and Granny are supportive, but I wish that somehow the sisters would begin to trust each other enough to hold such a confidence. I think they could really grow from this experience together. But, we will probably have to wait and see what Julian plans for season 5.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I haven't forgotten how seasons ago Mary told Edith's suitor that she wasn't really interested in him so he left the event thinking he should. Edith was so disappointed. She wanted to marry that man. That was cruel, IMO, especially since Edith is so desperate for a mate. Plus, she got left at the alter.....how horrible is that? So, I have quite a bit of empathy for Edith. Mary is definitely the favorite and it shows. Poor girl.

I had read spoilers up until last night. I have no idea what happens from here on out.

I pray that we are finally done with ALFRED and the Ivey/Daisy situation. Enough.

I really don't care for Rose. I wonder if that character was just miscasted. I don't care for her at all.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Yep, when Bates wanted the day off, and with all the "friendly" questioning of Green as to where he lives in London, I heard the "dun dun DUNNNNNNNNNN" music playing in my head. And then his comment to Anna that he would "always do what is right" . . . hmmm. I'm thinking those two need to emigrate to America to live with Shirley MacLain!
    Punkin and Florimel like this.

+ Reply to Thread