+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree802Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

I just finished the first episode of Last Enemy. Not as enamored as others. It's interesting enough to continue watching, but some of the premises are a bit hard for me to swallow. Probably a comparison thing for me. Sherlock is so tight in it's storyline that little things in Last Enemy glare to me. For instance, I find the instantaneous love/obsession to be a little far fetched. Still, I'll stay with it.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Oddly, my husband hasn't been thrilled with it so far. I don't really watch it (call me a purist, I love Jeremy Brett) often so I just don't know.
    I think Jeremy Brett will always be my favorite Sherlock. As a lover of the books, and a purist, I find his Holmes to be the one I read about, and I love everything he does by way of playing him. Watson is spot on as well.

I am enjoying this series, just really trying to see it as something loosely based on Holmes.
    libgirl2 likes this.

I did love Jeremy Brett, but I think my favorite is the one I grew up with, Basil Rathbone. Those movies did make Watson look quite foolish, but they were fun and they were set in England and in the right time frame.

I rarely like the modernization of classics, but there's also one exception that breaks my rule. Cumberbatch and Freeman are so good that I just enjoy them for what they are.

I do not watch either Elementary or Sleepy Hollow, whether or not they are well-acted or well-written, because I find both of them insulting to their classic and revered authors. That's just me, though.
    redsox girl likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

RE: Downton Abbey

Uh-oh. Mr. Green talking about having gone downstairs to miss the opera singer's screeching . . . where Anna was raped. And the look on John Bates' face showed that he added up one and one and got . . . "Watch out, Green!"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Did anyone watch "The Making of a Lady"? It looked like was good, but I had to go to bed. Is it worth my time?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The downstairs romantic comedy involving Daisy and Ivy is just so annoying. I'm so over that. I thought the guy was going to London to chef school and that would be it. Why do they keep dragging this out. It's just too much. This is one storyline I want resolved. It's like they are out of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    The downstairs romantic comedy involving Daisy and Ivy is just so annoying. I'm so over that. I thought the guy was going to London to chef school and that would be it. Why do they keep dragging this out. It's just too much. This is one storyline I want resolved. It's like they are out of ideas.
    I agree. The downstairs story lines with Carson/Mrs. Hughes and Anna/Bates are much more interesting and entertaining. I loved Violet and Isobel this episode and I'm looking forward to what's going to happen with Paul Giamatti's character.

I did read that Julian Fellowes is doing a new period show set in the U.S. called The Gilded Age. I'm eager to see that one develop though I think it means that Downton will have only one or two more seasons at most. I keep thinking that the fantastic Upstairs/Downstairs went on for many seasons, but I looked it up and it was only five.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I did read that Julian Fellowes is doing a new period show set in the U.S. called The Gilded Age. I'm eager to see that one develop though I think it means that Downton will have only one or two more seasons at most. I keep thinking that the fantastic Upstairs/Downstairs went on for many seasons, but I looked it up and it was only five.
    Fellowes has said that Downton could continue for up to 7 seasons or so (as long as it keeps getting renewed), and if his new American show takes off, he will let other writers take over the Downton scripts, and he would only supervise them.
    Florimel likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Oh my!! That look Bates had on his face when the episode ended. He is not a man to be messed with. That Mr. Green is about to get his a$$ stomped! Better run dude!

I am so over the kitchen help. At this point I'm hoping the Spanish flu comes back and wipes them out. I love Mrs. Patmore. I can actually relate to how she's feeling about the new technology and the younger crowd having an edge on her. Plus she's funny and has a soft heart.

So what is up with Thomas and the new lady's maid? She seems like a decent woman and yet she's done something that he is holding over her. This seems like a better storyline then the kitchen kooks. And Thomas is so much more interesting and entertaining then most of the other characters on the show.

I am sooooo glad that Edith didn't have an abortion. Her aunt was awesome in this episode. Exactly what an aunt should be at a time like that. Very well done.

I can't wait to see more Shirley Mc Clain(?). If she can't make dull, boring Robert more interesting, then his return ship might as well just sink. We'll never even notice him missing.

I am liking Mary more and more every episode. I love it!! This is one character I couldn't stand since the beginning. I have despised her for the last three seasons. I didn't like her even when she was married to Mathew. I love that they have been able to turn a character around for me.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

... I am liking Mary more and more every episode. I love it!! This is one character I couldn't stand since the beginning. I have despised her for the last three seasons. I didn't like her even when she was married to Mathew. I love that they have been able to turn a character around for me.
    You, are me. I knew I was in the minority but I couldn't stomach Mary and was never rooting for the Matthew/Mary coupling. Beginning to warm to her this season.
    CantGetNuf and Debb70 like this.

+ Reply to Thread