+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree876Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I guessed as well Debb, I was so pleased sister Monica Joan knew what it was. I love this show
    I didn't guess, but it made sense. I think its just the time period and discovering the real causes of sickness more and more. Kudos to Sister Monica Joan! I just knew she would help. Great episode. Loved Chummy!
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

When I saw those dirty diapers in the sink I just cringed. What in the world did they disinfect the sink with, before placing food or dishes in it? They also bathed from it right? Did they have access to bleach? So disturbing.
    tinderbox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    When I saw those dirty diapers in the sink I just cringed. What in the world did they disinfect the sink with, before placing food or dishes in it? They also bathed from it right? Did they have access to bleach? So disturbing.
    Such were the times for some people. CTM hasn't shied away from the squalor people lived in or the habits they had. It was disturbing.
    Florimel likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Such were the times for some people. CTM hasn't shied away from the squalor people lived in or the habits they had. It was disturbing.
    Exactly!!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I love this show. So happy to see them all on my tv screen again last night.
    Florimel and libgirl2 like this.

OK. So, I finally got around to watching the new episode of Mr. Selfridge and I'm not so sure how I feel about it. It's either been too long since I saw the finale of Season One, and I've forgotten a thing or two, or they've advanced the timeframe further than I expected so I'm surprised by what's going on with the characters. It took me a bit of time to figure things out.

That said, I'll continue to watch the show but, as of now, I do like Call the Midwife, The Paradise, and Downton Abbey a lot more than Selfridge.

It took me a while to recall a lot of what came before in Mr. Selfridge, but by the end of the episode, most of it had come back to me. I still like it and will continue to watch though some of the new stories aren't my favorite. I don't really care for Rose being so easily manipulated by her new friend; nor do I care for Lady Mae being so dominated by her despicable husband. She clearly married him for money and position, but it seems to out of character for her to crumble. I suspect she'll manage to destroy him sometime during the season.

Still, this is all based on the reality of their lives, so I guess much of what we're seeing really did happen.

I'm really eager for the new season of The Paradise. Do we have an air date yet on PBS?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I LOVED the first Season 2 episode of Mr. Selfridge!!! Right before I watched it, I re-watched the last episode of Season 1, so I'd be caught up on where they left off last season, and I'm so glad I did because it refreshed my memory of all that had happened last season, and it was fascinating to see what had happened on the show, in the 5 years since they left off at the end of Season 1. This show grows on me with every episode. And thank you PBS for ALL of the great shows you bring us!!!!! (No need to fight over which one we like better. We can enjoy and appreciate them ALL!)
    prhoshay, Florimel and AZChristian like this.

Anyone watch the show Scot and Baily? It's about female London Police Detectives. I've only seen one episode, but it was really good.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    It took me a while to recall a lot of what came before in Mr. Selfridge, but by the end of the episode, most of it had come back to me. I still like it and will continue to watch though some of the new stories aren't my favorite. I don't really care for Rose being so easily manipulated by her new friend; nor do I care for Lady Mae being so dominated by her despicable husband. She clearly married him for money and position, but it seems to out of character for her to crumble. I suspect she'll manage to destroy him sometime during the season.

Still, this is all based on the reality of their lives, so I guess much of what we're seeing really did happen.

I'm really eager for the new season of The Paradise. Do we have an air date yet on PBS?

I don't agree that Rose is being manipulated by her new friend. What I see is Rose deciding to do her own thing and establishing her own interests; what I see is in response to her dillydallying husband's behaviors. "Her new friend" has even tried to discourage Rose's interest in investing in the club. Rose is proving to be her own person. Good for her....and, if it doesn't work out, at least it is her own mistake.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread