+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree819Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Has any seen the 2008 Masterpiece Modern miniseries, The Last Enemy? I just found it in my Amazon Prime Instant Video collection and watched the first of five episodes. It's another Masterpiece excellent show. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Carlyle. What could be bad?

Just curious if anyone has seen it all.
    I know, right? I haven't watched it yet, but my husband did recently and raved about it (and he mentioned what an incredible actor Benedict is). So, I will be sure to watch when I have a second. Thanks for reminding me!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Downton toughs it out against the Super Bowl!

‘Downton’ Celebrates Third Super Bowl Runner-Up Finish

By LISA DE MORAES, TV Columnist | Monday February 3, 2014 @ 12:48pm PST

While an estimated 111.5 million viewers watched the Seattle Seahawks pulverize the Denver Broncos on Fox on Sunday (up from last year’s 109 million Super Bowl viewers) , 6.8 million viewers opted instead to watch PBS’s Downton Abbey – celebrating its third consecutive year as The Show That Did Best Against The Super Bowl.

According to Nielsen early stats, Downton’s 6.8 million viewers is a 3% climb compared to last year’s 6.6 million opposite the Super Bowl – no surprise, given the washout-ed-ness of yesterday’s football game and the been-there-done-that-ed-ness of the Super Bowl ads.

To put Downton’s 6.8 million viewers in some perspective, this season — Downton’s fourth — ,opened on January 5 with 10.2 million tuned in – up 22% compared to the Season 3 debut of 7.9 million.

PBS and MASTERPIECE kicked off the #DramaBowlPBS rivalry with the Big Game on Wednesday, January 29, with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and posts on other social media platforms asking fans “which team are you on?” The campaign posts and images saw tens of thousands of user interactions, generating 31.5 million potential impressions on Twitter and nearly 1.2 million post views, PBS said, citing Topsy and Facebook.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Have you heard what Time Warner Cable is doing with PBS? They are moving it to a high channel, so you have to have a box or mini box in order to get it. That means more money for them. Those people are so greedy. I'm praying for the day I can switch from that company.

We have a DVR box on one tv and I have a mini box on one, but the mini box is defective and they can't fix it, so I haven't them on the other tvs. They will start charging for the mini boxes in 2015. That's when I'm turning all of ours in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl View Post
    I know, right? I haven't watched it yet, but my husband did recently and raved about it (and he mentioned what an incredible actor Benedict is). So, I will be sure to watch when I have a second. Thanks for reminding me!
    I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and I hope you do, too, Mike'sgirl.
    Mike'sgirl likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Have you heard what Time Warner Cable is doing with PBS? They are moving it to a high channel, so you have to have a box or mini box in order to get it. That means more money for them. Those people are so greedy. I'm praying for the day I can switch from that company.

We have a DVR box on one tv and I have a mini box on one, but the mini box is defective and they can't fix it, so I haven't them on the other tvs. They will start charging for the mini boxes in 2015. That's when I'm turning all of ours in.
    Are you sure it's public (PBS) channels, or public ACCESS channels that they are talking about? The public/leased access channels on my grid are moving to the bottom of the heap around the 1900's, but my PBS channels are staying put (13, 21, etc.)
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Are you sure it's public (PBS) channels, or public ACCESS channels that they are talking about? The public/leased access channels on my grid are moving to the bottom of the heap around the 1900's, but my PBS channels are staying put (13, 21, etc.)
    Last night they ran a message at the bottom of the screen for over an hour that said ALL Time Warner areas would have this change. (I hope they are wrong.) UNC- which is our PBS, is moving to a high channel somewhere in the 2000 range. If yours are not moving, that's great.

That's terrible Debb

For you fellow Benedict Cumberbatch fans here he is on Sesame Street, with some glimpses of a real life smile Benedict Cumberbatch must solve a mystery of his own on Sesame Street

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    That's terrible Debb

For you fellow Benedict Cumberbatch fans here he is on Sesame Street, with some glimpses of a real life smile Benedict Cumberbatch must solve a mystery of his own on Sesame Street
    I just got a kick out of his real parents playing his Sherlock parents in the last episode. They are both experienced and talented actors and it really was fun for them and for us.
    Mike'sgirl and Duckyface like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

All of the stuff with the Holmes family this season was fabulous. I loved every scene.
    Florimel, Duckyface and ladygreco like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    All of the stuff with the Holmes family this season was fabulous. I loved every scene.
    Oddly, my husband hasn't been thrilled with it so far. I don't really watch it (call me a purist, I love Jeremy Brett) often so I just don't know.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread