+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree704Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

I loved seeing Mrs. Patmore (Lesley Nicol ) on The View, who said she couldn't boil an egg .
    redsox girl likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I missed it. It was on, but I was obviously not paying it any mind. I guess I'm used to trying to tune out Babs. lol
    AZChristian likes this.

I saw about 6 cast members on with Andy Cohen. They all looked great and very different from DA, but I have never seen Miss Hughes in real life before.
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Let me get this straight. When the new man proposed to Mary he explained to her that he could break off his relationship with his present "ALMOST" fiance as long as he got immediately engaged to Mary, but he couldn't just break if off with the "almost" fiance to do nothing and not have any prospect. Is that right? Sounds odd to me. It seems that breaking it off with the other lady would be MORE insulting if he ran into the arms of another woman rather than did nothing for awhile. Hmmmm....

I did a sigh of relief though. The guy dodged a bullet. I don't care for Mary. I think he could do much better.

I'm an Edith fan myself and agree with Edith's aunt. She is playing with fire. She doesn't seem to understand that he can't marry her no matter how much he wants. Have they ever actually shown the man's wife? Is she in a hospital?
    His wife is in an asylum-she's been there for years. Edith is the first woman to touch his heart over those years. He is going to Germany to establish residence because Germany is the only country that allows for a divorce under those circumstances. Hence, him leaving Edith with legal papers that allow her to run things at the paper while he is gone. I too, don't like Mary. I'm glad to see Edith coming into her own and gaining self confidence. I'm afraid though, that Edith being Edith, something terrible is around the corner to ruin her relationship. I'm also thinking Rose and the band leader who rescued her from her drunken date are going to start a relationship-which won't go over well when the Crawleys find out, judging from their reaction to "The black band leader." Or perhaps it will enlighten them.
    Last edited by Critical; 01-21-2014 at 01:06 AM. Reason: fixed broken quote tags
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

Sherlock:

Just found out that Dr. Watson's fiance is his wife in real life. Also that Sherlock's parents are his parents in real life.
    redsox girl and ladygreco like this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    Sherlock:

Just found out that Dr. Watson's fiance is his wife in real life. Also that Sherlock's parents are his parents in real life.
    I have yet to watch this series, but I'm enjoying the posts so much all of you are slowly but surely piquing my interest. I do know Benjamin Cumberbach but only because my friend has a crush on him But, definitely going to check out the series soon, thanks to you Sherl fans on this thread

I have a question about last nights Downtown episode. Or more of a question regarding folkds opinionsabout the Ivey storyline. What are your thoiughts about it? I would rather Fellowes focus on Daisy's father-in-law and how he and Daisy are getting along. Isn't he leaving her his farm/land when he dies? Or did I get that wrong? I thought the storyline in which we see Daisy beginning to bond with him would have made for some more in depth and far more interesting storytelling than whatever this weird love triangle thing is going on between her, Ivey and the two guys. It seems to me Daisy was to learn about running a farm properly? It would be nice to see her do something other than mope about. I feel like Fellowes has brought in some needless plots at the expense of developing established storylines. Not that I'm griping because Downtown is dstill one of the finest shows on television.
    I',m also impressed with the clothing, I asmit. I adore the eras in fashion shown on Downtown. Right now I'm in heaven looking at the intriquite, deco/flapper fashions. Whoever is in charge of costumes and styling is doing a fabulous job. I also like how the color choices reflect Edith and Mary's changing roles. No more drab Edith-wow, a total fashion plate in London-great pops of color, the fabulous gold arm bands. The headpieces. While Mary is dressed quite conservatively, in clothing and color, which is understandable. She's not on trend, either, at least not as much as Edith. It's such a switch , total role reversal.
    I'm taking to Rose-and I do think there is something more to her, in a good way, than meets the eye. She is only 19, so I can understand her feeling trapped at Downtown (and last year getting to meet her awful mother made Rose more sympathetic in terms of understanding her). Again, the clothes reflect Rose's youthful roaring twenties anything goes attitude beautifully The blues in many of her flapper clothes are perfect for her hair, complexion and the idea of Jazz. Her head bands are to die for. I was definitely born in the wrong era

Quote Originally Posted by mom2 View Post
    Sherlock:

Almost - Martin Freeman and Amanda Abbington aren't married. They have kids and have been together for many years, but they aren't married.

I think Benedict looks like both of his parents. Fun to see them all together.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    There's more Holmes family togetherness to come this season!
    I remember BC talking about when he first started in the business and how his mom was upset because he insisted on using his real last name. She didn't think "Cumberbatch" was such a great name for an actor. Neither of his parents use it.

Another fun fact. BC's mom and Una Stubbs (Mrs. Hudson) are close friends, so she's known him most of his life. That explains their chemistry!

Mycroft having to take their parents to see Les Miz That phone call was excellent.
    Mike'sgirl and mom2 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Redsox girl,
    It seems the writers have forgotten about Daisy and her deceased husband's father's farm. I'm so over the downstairs love triangle. I just don't find it amusing at all. And I'm over Miss Patemore's insecurity about her cooking. I wish they would move on with those storylines. It's overdone, IMO.

I enjoy the costumes as well. I do think it's a little funny when the characters freak out at the thought of not having someone dress them. lol
    redsox girl likes this.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Mycroft having to take their parents to see Les Miz That phone call was excellent.
    "You can take over at the intermission".

Downton:
    I do think that Fellowes has a tendency to flog some storylines over and over - such as those mentioned above i.e. downstairs love triangle/quadrangle etc. Bit of a shame.
    Mike'sgirl and mom2 like this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread