+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree819Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Good luck to both you and your husband over the next few months redsox girl!!
    redsox girl and Dragonlady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Well, apparently I'm wrong after reading subsequent posts in which the actor who plays Thomas and writer Julian Fellowes state he's nothing more than a self-serving jack wagon. So, no more talk from me wondering what the future holds for Thomas in terms of possible growth. I now know the character is pretty much a one note creation. I think there's a missed opportunity here. Part of the reason I watch these types of shows is because I find myself caught up in wondering how characters might evolve as seasons go on. Will we see them from a different perspective that will give us a better or at least more complete picture of who they are and how they got that way?
    it's a shame the character is apparently being presented as nothing more than a scheming villain, as a writer I like to delve deeper into why people turn into who they are. I still think the character of Thomas is more complex than what Fellowes has stated. I keep going back to Thomas reaction to Carson calling him twisted and abnormal due to his homosexuality. Thomas replied (and I'm paraphrasing)" I'm not an abomination." To me the actor said it in such a way I could feel his reply was not meant only for Carson but for the world he lived in as a response to how it passed repulsive judgment on him. It didn't even have to be a specific experience-he knew his whole life that people would be disgusted by him if they knew he was gay. And British law considered it to be a crime, worthy of jail tome. I can't imagine what it is like to have to lie about who you are, to live unable to safely express feelings, your existence viewed as an affront to God and society as a whole. Nope, not buying he simply wants to get ahead, something else is driving that desire. I also think he resents seeing Bates and Anna being able to express their love for one another. He will never be able to do that.
    I find myself emphasizing with the servants, fascinated by them oft times more so than the people they work for. Although both groups are compelling.
    Slip of the finger, redsoxgirl? I'm guessing you meant to type "empathizing," instead of "emphasizing."

My own empathy is kind of divided between the upstairs and downstairs characters. I love Anna, Bates, Mrs. Hughes, and even Carson for being true to who he is. I also adore Violet, Isobel, and often Cora, but Robert frequently gets on my last nerve, which I imagine he is designed to do. I'm interested in seeing how the new characters develop over the season, and I'm eager to see Paul Giamotti when he shows up.
    redsox girl and AZChristian like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't think he IS presented as just a scheming villain. Just because he generally does the "bad" thing, he's still written and acted as a person and not an archetype. He's not just an evil person. He does have feelings. I think that stuff makes his choices more interesting and it makes me want to know more about him. Frankly, I'm bored with the "his heart grew three sizes" turnaround we see with villains OR the vanquishing/removal-of-the-villain storylines. I like seeing Thomas reacting to new situations, even if I still think he's kind of a s&*@.
    I guess my complaint over Thomas' return to scheming this season is, there's not much logic behind it anymore. Bates saved his bacon when O'Brien was pushing Jimmy to get him fired, so why is he targeting Bates and Anna again? He's an underbutler now, he outranks a valet. If he wants to move up in the house, the only job left for him to poach is Carson's. After nearly getting himself canned (and thrown in jail) more than once, and losing Lord Grantham's trust repeatedly over the years, he is now in a cushier job, and has risen as high as he is ever going to at Downton. Is he just amusing himself now? Or is Julian Fellowes getting sloppy, and making Thomas a villain because he's the most convenient one around to avoid hiring a new actor? I'm starting to see why the actress playing O'Brien left...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I guess my complaint over Thomas' return to scheming this season is, there's not much logic behind it anymore. Bates saved his bacon when O'Brien was pushing Jimmy to get him fired, so why is he targeting Bates and Anna again? He's an underbutler now, he outranks a valet. If he wants to move up in the house, the only job left for him to poach is Carson's. After nearly getting himself canned (and thrown in jail) more than once, and losing Lord Grantham's trust repeatedly over the years, he is now in a cushier job, and has risen as high as he is ever going to at Downton. Is he just amusing himself now? Or is Julian Fellowes getting sloppy, and making Thomas a villain because he's the most convenient one around to avoid hiring a new actor? I'm starting to see why the actress playing O'Brien left...
    Great points! I'm feeling the same way. And I also was confused as to why he would be believed by the Crawelys before even checking with Anna. Makes no sense, IMO. I really hope the writing on this show doesn't go downhill. I love it so.

I'm still upset about the attack on Anna. It's really spoiiled the rest of the season for me. Nothing else seems to have much of a point. I shouldn't feel this way as a fan so early in the season.
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Great points! I'm feeling the same way. And I also was confused as to why he would be believed by the Crawelys before even checking with Anna. Makes no sense, IMO. I really hope the writing on this show doesn't go downhill. I love it so.

I'm still upset about the attack on Anna. It's really spoiiled the rest of the season for me. Nothing else seems to have much of a point. I shouldn't feel this way as a fan so early in the season.
    Wow that was quick, I am just starting to love it again..love love love. I am waiting for the other side of Bates to show, I think he will find out
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I just think that Bates and Anna have already undergone so much and now more pain......it's just cruel, IMO.
    Miss_Griss and AZChristian like this.

They do seem like the Heathcliff and Catherine of their time, destined for sorrow though much more likeable.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I guess Julian Fellowes is following the old (and I don't think entirely true) TV adage about happy couples being boring. I just think not that many people know HOW to write a happy couple.

Really though, drama isn't interesting without conflict.

A friend of mine was still lamenting Matthew's loss at the beginning of this season. I told her that, honestly, I didn't miss him at all in season 4. Maybe it would have been different if they'd picked up the action immediately after his death. Don't get me wrong - I always liked Matthew, but he was a bit bland.
    redsox girl and AZChristian like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I guess Julian Fellowes is following the old (and I don't think entirely true) TV adage about happy couples being boring. I just think not that many people know HOW to write a happy couple.

Really though, drama isn't interesting without conflict.

A friend of mine was still lamenting Matthew's loss at the beginning of this season. I told her that, honestly, I didn't miss him at all in season 4. Maybe it would have been different if they'd picked up the action immediately after his death. Don't get me wrong - I always liked Matthew, but he was a bit bland.
    I think that makes a big difference, when there is a big break in-between. I liked Mary being in love, but it could have been with anyone
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Thank you everyone who took the time to share their opinions with me about Downtown and Thomas. I'm pretty much bed ridden for the next few months, and my husband is facing complex surgery next week. This forum is a great place to temporarily escape the realities and stresses we are experiencing. Because I don't want to always talk to friends and neighbors about our situation, as they need a break from it, as well. Even though they are very supportive. It's amazing how reading your posts acts as a much needed temporary salve. Thanks to each of you. And while my husband is in the hospital he is more concerned with missing Downton Abbey than he is with his post surgery prognosis lol It's the kind of humor that helps us cope.
    I'm glad that talking about things here acts as an escape from the realities and stresses. I really like that aspect of FoRT. Good luck to your husband with his surgery and to you as you deal with the challenges of being bedridden for a while.
    redsox girl likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread