+ Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 140 FirstFirst ... 757979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1392
Like Tree876Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

I really didn't think the actual scene was that graphic compared to what I've seen on most tv shows. I really think the reason it was so disturbing to people/me was because it was Anna. And its Downton Abbey. I read an article that called it, "Downton Abbey: SVU". After I watched it I sent a message to my friend saying, "Don't you miss the days when the nastiest thing that happened on DA was O'Brian tripping Bates?"

I am really tired of the Daisy, Iva, Jimmy, other dude romance thing. Boring and continuing to go nowhere.

I think the dowager should be in at least 80% of the scenes. I don't care that she wouldn't be caught dead downstairs. They should still work her into every single storyline. What did she say to Tom? Something like, "If I wanted logic I wouldn't look to the English upper crust for it." There is no denying that she is a caring person. And as a mama bear myself I have really applauded her the times she has come to the defense of her granddaughters. Like when Sir Richard said, "I won't be coming back." and she says, "Oh do you promise?" And again at Ediths wedding when she just got up, grabbed Edith, and got her out of there. I was yelling, "Go granny! No one messes with our kids!"

Speaking of Sir Richards, who I thought was the absolute perfect suitor for Mary, Iain Glen is the best actor working today. Yeah I don't state that as my opinion. That is fact. I rank him right up there with all of the greats. Richard Chamberlain being the first actor that came to mind when I first saw Iain Glen on Game of Thrones. There is one scene that starts with, "Until my last breath I will remember...." Gives me chill bumps when I watch it. I almost wet myself when he showed up on DA. This guy is so good I don't understand why I'm not seeing him everywhere and on everything. Is he super popular in England and can't find time to come to America to do shows? Or is he just to busy with GOT? If I was the writer/producer/director or whoever decides these things, I would have paid him any amount of money to keep him on DA. I would have fired Robert, Mary, Edith, and half the kitchen staff just to keep him and give him bigger storylines. Sir Richard and the dowager would have been all I needed to keep me interested in DA.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

But Thomas is capable of deep feelings and empathy which became evident in season two when he was helping to rehabilitate wounded soldiers. That he cared for his charge was evident-and it had to do with a complex set of reasons-first he could identify with the soldier because he too had seen battle. Second, there was a genuine trust and friendship forming between them. And yes, there was the sad undercurrent of Thomas being unable to display any form of romantic feelings, if they existed. Thomas and Sybil worked hard to help this soldier physically and emotionally. When the soldier died ( I believe it was suicide) Thomas shattered into a million pieces, crying uncontrollably. It wasn't born of selfishness, his grief, it sprang from losing someone he cared deeply for and that person had accepted Thomas as his friend, viewed him as decent, because he was being decent for the sake of it. Will Thomas continue to cause trouble. Of course. That's the point of his character. I'm simply saying Thomas has more layers to him. There's been glimpses of it. And that's why I find him fascinating.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You will never convince me that Thomas was not romantically interested in that blind soldier. Thomas doesn't seem to do anything that is not, generally, self-serving.

The most reaching out he has done was when he ran to defend Jimmy, got beat up, and asked that Jimmy just be his friend.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm going only by what the actor said in a recent interview of the cast and Fellowes. He said that he sees Thomas as being motivated solely by the compelling need to improve his status in life and that's the way he's playing him. He added that he doesn't see Thomas as changing for the better. Maybe that will change over time, but that what he sees now and I believe I recall Fellowes agreeing. I wish I could recall what show that was, but I'm afraid I can't. It might have been on PBS.
    Uncle David likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I like the actor who plays Thomas, he was on Coronation Street, so we get a kick out of his playing Thomas
    redsox girl likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Oh, I agree with you. But, for some reason I can't explain, I want to believe Thomas can change, if even a little. I was thinking, when people are so damaged emotionally they continue to reject and consciously set up situations in which those who have shown kindness will reject them so they (or in this case Thomas) can reinforce the belief that good people will turn on you. He'll find a reason to set up a situation to prove this. I was thinking about Anna, how she showed him such empathy when she found him crying in the rain. No judgments from her, only human kindness. So, why would he turn around and set her up? To drive her away? Or is there something else coming along that leads us in a different direction than what we expect? Perhaps he is setting up the rehired maid? I don't know, his mind works in mysterious ways lol I'm also a bit confused about the incident involving the nanny. Know, I know Thomas resented her for bossing him around. But, I also know he caught on to her not feeding baby Sybil the same food as George. Did he tell Cora this information out of spite,only? Or because that spite was mixed with at least a wee sense that what the nanny was doing was a tip off to potentially bad behavior that he felt should be stopped?
    Interesting points, Redsox Girl! It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Interesting points, Redsox Girl! It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
    Well, apparently I'm wrong after reading subsequent posts in which the actor who plays Thomas and writer Julian Fellowes state he's nothing more than a self-serving jack wagon. So, no more talk from me wondering what the future holds for Thomas in terms of possible growth. I now know the character is pretty much a one note creation. I think there's a missed opportunity here. Part of the reason I watch these types of shows is because I find myself caught up in wondering how characters might evolve as seasons go on. Will we see them from a different perspective that will give us a better or at least more complete picture of who they are and how they got that way?
    it's a shame the character is apparently being presented as nothing more than a scheming villain, as a writer I like to delve deeper into why people turn into who they are. I still think the character of Thomas is more complex than what Fellowes has stated. I keep going back to Thomas reaction to Carson calling him twisted and abnormal due to his homosexuality. Thomas replied (and I'm paraphrasing)" I'm not an abomination." To me the actor said it in such a way I could feel his reply was not meant only for Carson but for the world he lived in as a response to how it passed repulsive judgment on him. It didn't even have to be a specific experience-he knew his whole life that people would be disgusted by him if they knew he was gay. And British law considered it to be a crime, worthy of jail tome. I can't imagine what it is like to have to lie about who you are, to live unable to safely express feelings, your existence viewed as an affront to God and society as a whole. Nope, not buying he simply wants to get ahead, something else is driving that desire. I also think he resents seeing Bates and Anna being able to express their love for one another. He will never be able to do that.
    I find myself emphasizing with the servants, fascinated by them oft times more so than the people they work for. Although both groups are compelling.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

RedSox Girl,
    Characters who are sociopaths can change over time with the whim of the writer. I know that happened with the character of Dexter on that show.
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Well, apparently I'm wrong after reading subsequent posts in which the actor who plays Thomas and writer Julian Fellowes state he's nothing more than a self-serving jack wagon. So, no more talk from me wondering what the future holds for Thomas in terms of possible growth. I now know the character is pretty much a one note creation. I think there's a missed opportunity here. Part of the reason I watch these types of shows is because I find myself caught up in wondering how characters might evolve as seasons go on. Will we see them from a different perspective that will give us a better or at least more complete picture of who they are and how they got that way?
    it's a shame the character is apparently being presented as nothing more than a scheming villain, as a writer I like to delve deeper into why people turn into who they are. I still think the character of Thomas is more complex than what Fellowes has stated. I keep going back to Thomas reaction to Carson calling him twisted and abnormal due to his homosexuality. Thomas replied (and I'm paraphrasing)" I'm not an abomination." To me the actor said it in such a way I could feel his reply was not meant only for Carson but for the world he lived in as a response to how it passed repulsive judgment on him. It didn't even have to be a specific experience-he knew his whole life that people would be disgusted by him if they knew he was gay. And British law considered it to be a crime, worthy of jail tome. I can't imagine what it is like to have to lie about who you are, to live unable to safely express feelings, your existence viewed as an affront to God and society as a whole. Nope, not buying he simply wants to get ahead, something else is driving that desire. I also think he resents seeing Bates and Anna being able to express their love for one another. He will never be able to do that.
    I find myself emphasizing with the servants, fascinated by them oft times more so than the people they work for. Although both groups are compelling.
    I don't think he IS presented as just a scheming villain. Just because he generally does the "bad" thing, he's still written and acted as a person and not an archetype. He's not just an evil person. He does have feelings. I think that stuff makes his choices more interesting and it makes me want to know more about him. Frankly, I'm bored with the "his heart grew three sizes" turnaround we see with villains OR the vanquishing/removal-of-the-villain storylines. I like seeing Thomas reacting to new situations, even if I still think he's kind of a s&*@.
    redsox girl likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thank you everyone who took the time to share their opinions with me about Downtown and Thomas. I'm pretty much bed ridden for the next few months, and my husband is facing complex surgery next week. This forum is a great place to temporarily escape the realities and stresses we are experiencing. Because I don't want to always talk to friends and neighbors about our situation, as they need a break from it, as well. Even though they are very supportive. It's amazing how reading your posts acts as a much needed temporary salve. Thanks to each of you. And while my husband is in the hospital he is more concerned with missing Downton Abbey than he is with his post surgery prognosis lol It's the kind of humor that helps us cope.

+ Reply to Thread