+ Reply to Thread
Page 106 of 149 FirstFirst ... 65696979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1484
Like Tree802Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I've read the spoilers on IMDB, so I knew the rape was going to happen. But when he hit Anna, and then the sounds were heard, I was nearly in tears. She's so sweet that when things like that happen, it seems more wrong (if that's possible).
    The part that really made me sick was when he was dragging her from the kitchen to the other room and she is just screaming bloody murder as he pulls her by her hair and flings her into the furniture. So disturbing. And like you said it is made all the worse because she is such a good woman. And I root for Bates and Anna so much it is almost like it happened to a friend.
    A friend of mine said she hopes Bates doesn't blame Anna. What a horrifying thought. I have no doubt Bates will figure it out. He believed her when she said she fell but he started to become concerned because it was so obvious she was shaken up. Then he called to her after she rushed out and started down the walkway. She didn't respond. So I'm guessing he'll figure it out very quickly. Plus they have such a close relationship. She's traumatized and trying to be strong right now but she'll lean on her Bates soon enough.
    So I always think about how the characters would act because I "know" them so well. Had she called that guy out I bet Lord Grantham would have challenged him to a duel.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Sherlock:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Wow, Mary. Who knew? Didn't see that one coming, although, of course, the clues were all there. Makes her a little more interesting.

I kind of like Janine for Sherlock. At least she doesn't buy his crap. She's a nice foil for him. "Sherl and Myc." I love it.

The Holmes family Christmas was excellent.

Mrs. Hudson's husband ran a drug ring and she was an exotic dancer. Because, of course. I love Una Stubbs. I think she's an adorable person. She did an episode of the UK version of Who Do You Think You Are? and she was just delightful....and she actually was a dancer, although not an exotic one.

Moriarty! Perfect set up for next season!

These seasons are MUCH too short! I want more!

I feel like anything I say about Downton will be a spoiler. I didn't watch last night because it was so hard to watch, knowing what was coming. Kind of like last season when Sybil died. Hard enough to watch just once.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Edith is not set in the old ways. She never really was. I recall Branson teaching her how to drive a few seasons back because she wanted the independence. She's been overshadowed by Mary, `the chosen one.'Then overshadowed by Sybil, the saintly rebel. Most of her family constantly put her down, even when her writing was published. Now, she's living two separate lives. She's a cosmopolitan woman working a real job in London-wearing bright, beautiful clothing. Her hair and make-up are in stark contrast to the dull, bland Edith of the past. Throw in her relationship with a married man, one she refuses to give up for her fathers sake and we have Edith finding her self confidence and bucking the moral traditions at Downton and society. She is near scandalous. I do notice she dresses more sedately at Downtown, in order to avoid conflict with her Father, The Dowager and perhaps a snarky Mary Then again, I've never liked ice cold Mary. If Downton were to fall into ruin tomorrow, Edith would be the one who could make her way in the world. But alas, Edith being Edith, I'm sure Julian Fellowes will yet again destroy Edith's relationship. Because God forbid Edith have anything go right in her life lol Although I hope her writing career takes hold-that would be a triumph of independence.
    Poor, dear Mosley. His situation makes me sad. He's a good fellow and I particularly enjoyed the scene with his Dad, as they stood looking at the moon together in their yard. I like small moments such as that.
    I wish they would , at some point, delve deeper into Tom's background. it's clear he has lived a lifetime of cruel rejection and damnation from those who know of his sexuality. I never believed him to be evil for evil sake, but more because he's never experienced true acceptance, real love from family or in a relationship. I remember Carson calling him perverted and an abomination. I'm sure that's not the first time he's been judged as such. To be seen that way, and to live in a world in which you cannot express or receive love. To not experience gentle human contact. I would like to see him find someone to relate to, whether it be romantically or more appropriate for the times, a real friendship with someone, male or female who sees the good buried deep within him. Or perhaps, he becomes a protector to someone who reminds him of himself in his younger years of being bullied. That's not to say I don't want to see some of his scheming still take place
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Edith is not set in the old ways. She never really was. I recall Branson teaching her how to drive a few seasons back because she wanted the independence. She's been overshadowed by Mary, `the chosen one.'Then overshadowed by Sybil, the saintly rebel. Most of her family constantly put her down, even when her writing was published. Now, she's living two separate lives. She's a cosmopolitan woman working a real job in London-wearing bright, beautiful clothing. Her hair and make-up are in stark contrast to the dull, bland Edith of the past. Throw in her relationship with a married man, one she refuses to give up for her fathers sake and we have Edith finding her self confidence and bucking the moral traditions at Downton and society. She is near scandalous. I do notice she dresses more sedately at Downtown, in order to avoid conflict with her Father, The Dowager and perhaps a snarky Mary Then again, I've never liked ice cold Mary. If Downton were to fall into ruin tomorrow, Edith would be the one who could make her way in the world. But alas, Edith being Edith, I'm sure Julian Fellowes will yet again destroy Edith's relationship. Because God forbid Edith have anything go right in her life lol Although I hope her writing career takes hold-that would be a triumph of independence.
    Poor, dear Mosley. His situation makes me sad. He's a good fellow and I particularly enjoyed the scene with his Dad, as they stood looking at the moon together in their yard. I like small moments such as that.
    I wish they would , at some point, delve deeper into Tom's background. it's clear he has lived a lifetime of cruel rejection and damnation from those who know of his sexuality. I never believed him to be evil for evil sake, but more because he's never experienced true acceptance, real love from family or in a relationship. I remember Carson calling him perverted and an abomination. I'm sure that's not the first time he's been judged as such. To be seen that way, and to live in a world in which you cannot express or receive love. To not experience gentle human contact. I would like to see him find someone to relate to, whether it be romantically or more appropriate for the times, a real friendship with someone, male or female who sees the good buried deep within him. Or perhaps, he becomes a protector to someone who reminds him of himself in his younger years of being bullied. That's not to say I don't want to see some of his scheming still take place
    I'm sure all of what you say about Thomas is true, and I do empathize with his situation, but I was really angry with him last week for sabotaging Anna like that, when she and Bates are the only reason he's back at Downton Abbey, and I should think that would mean at least a little something to him.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

The rape of Anna was for me so bad, I left the room. The minute I saw him clock her hard in the face, I was gone until it was over. I'm not sure what she can do, considering the era and attitudes toward rape by the authorities. Her biggest fear is Bates finding out, not because he'll reject her, but as she said, that he'll kill the guy and wind up in prison again. Someone up thread mentioned Bates murdering the guy and Thomas getting rid of the body. That could work and Thomas owes Bates big time. I know it won't happen (only the women of Downton are man enough to dispose of or at least move a corpse lol) . Which strikes me as ironic, since his lordship and Carson are under the delusion that women are delicate, helpless creatures. If they only knew the shenanigans of season one after Mary's lover died in her bed lol
    I am an admirer of Mathews mother. What a good heart that woman has. She has in the past, been an equal sparring partner for The Dowager and I've enjoyed that aspect of their relationship. But, it's good to see The Dowager showing her some kindness. underneath the pithy one liners is the heart of a kind woman. I'm hoping Mathew's mother perhaps reconsiders her relationship with the doctor. They are complimentary companions, true friends and inherently tender hearted toward those in need. Wouldn't it be nice for them to change their minds and settle into life together? Then they could hire back Mosley
    Bit concerned Branson will find himself in some sort of trouble again with the awful maid that was rehired. Last nights episode eluded to that. Though, it was heartening to watch the Dowagers warm and approving reaction to Branson when he comforted Mathews mother. I think that single act , which was absolutely genuine (and considering how uncomfortable Branson was in that social setting it showed he could put his own discomfort aside in order to ease another's suffering in a deeply genuine way)opened The Dowagers eyes to the fact she's shortchanged him in the past and not seen him as a whole person. She saw a good man last night.
    Hey, looks like next week the only black person living in England circa the 1920's will finally be seen for the first time. I say that half jokingly because like so many shows set in that period we rarely see anyone who isn't white. Not that it's the duty of the show to show that, but it is a bit unrealistic to never see minorities. Not even in passing! But, that is just my opinion based on my family history. You become hyper aware of the lack of characters that reflect part of your families skin color, whether it's realistic to a story or not.
    Also, I think poor Mrs. Patmore, who I adore to pieces is more anxiety ridden than ever due to the arrival of modern technology into the kitchen and her openly expressed fear she may find herself replaced by both machines and younger people who , as is natural, take to them quickly and without fear, unlike older people, like Mrs. Patmore. So, I think that's what's added to her already constant anxiety. I do love her in that she fusses over Daisy so much because she loves her in her own way. The Valentines card is something a mother would do to protect her daughter, but it backfired a bit.
    I was also thinking again about Anna being raped. I think she knows how the police will look upon it-that is, they will conclude she was flirting with him, laughing with him, leading him on when they were playing cards and talking. That's definitely not what she did-but that's how it will be interpreted by authorities in accordance with the thinking of the day (that hasn't necessarily changed nearly a hundred years later). I can also imagine Carson, for all his sometimes stick in the mud attitude, joining Bates in throttling the attacker. It's in him.
    Coco46 and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I'm sure all of what you say about Thomas is true, and I do empathize with his situation, but I was really angry with him last week for sabotaging Anna like that, when she and Bates are the only reason he's back at Downton Abbey, and I should think that would mean at least a little something to him.
    Oh, I agree with you. But, for some reason I can't explain, I want to believe Thomas can change, if even a little. I was thinking, when people are so damaged emotionally they continue to reject and consciously set up situations in which those who have shown kindness will reject them so they (or in this case Thomas) can reinforce the belief that good people will turn on you. He'll find a reason to set up a situation to prove this. I was thinking about Anna, how she showed him such empathy when she found him crying in the rain. No judgments from her, only human kindness. So, why would he turn around and set her up? To drive her away? Or is there something else coming along that leads us in a different direction than what we expect? Perhaps he is setting up the rehired maid? I don't know, his mind works in mysterious ways lol I'm also a bit confused about the incident involving the nanny. Know, I know Thomas resented her for bossing him around. But, I also know he caught on to her not feeding baby Sybil the same food as George. Did he tell Cora this information out of spite,only? Or because that spite was mixed with at least a wee sense that what the nanny was doing was a tip off to potentially bad behavior that he felt should be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    I can also imagine Carson, for all his sometimes stick in the mud attitude, joining Bates in throttling the attacker. It's in him.
    Can't you just see that. I'm saying there isn't a man in that house that wouldn't have killed him instantly. Even Thomas, who just the week before tried to get Anna fired, would have joined in the killing. I'm thinking Carson and Robert would lead the charge. The way they always want to protect their little women folk, they would have gone bat shat insane on the fool.

I think the reason my friend mentioned that Bates might put blame on Anna is because he told her that he didn't have a good feeling about the guy. And he was obviously jealous when he saw her playing games with him. I don't think he would think that Anna invited the guy in any way but that she put herself in that position. Which is hockey puck. But I remember it was the 80's when guys were being told that just because a woman dresses provocatively doesn't mean she's "asking for it". I can only imagine what they said about it in the 20's.
    Debb70 likes this.

Thomas won't ever change. It was just chance that his narcing on Nanny West ended up being a good thing. Unless it happened off-screen, he had no idea of her true nature. That was just a happy accident. He just didn't like that she was ordering him around.

Thomas is always going to be only out for himself. He likes causing trouble for the people he sees as his enemies. I think he just enjoys being a s_stirrer. While he may have tender feelings for a few people, I'm sure he'd happily throw them under the bus to save himself. I think it makes him more interesting. He's still capable of doing nice things from time to time, but he actually isn't going to change.

As to all the rest, NOPE, not going to comment. Too hard to discuss all of that without spoilers.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

So I'm mad at myself. I did something I never do. I spoiled it. I can't find a way to watch the uk version online so I read recaps.

For those of you who have watched already:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I only read the next two episodes. That's how long it took me to gain satisfaction on how Bates would treat Anna. The article I read said Bates acted like a Prince towards Anna. Not that I ever doubted Bates would act that way, but there was no telling how the writers felt Bates would act. The article also said, "You forget how scary Bates can be. I love me a nice guy who can be a bad ass when needed.
    Florimel likes this.

I believe Thomas is the way he is because he's so dissatisfied with his status as a servant that it colors everything he does. He wants more and will do anything to get it. I doubt we'll see any change in him, at least for this season.

I knew that the rape of Anna was going to happen though I didn't know in what episode. I admire Fellowes for not holding back in showing how violent and despicable it was. I'm hoping so much that he gets what's coming to him in spades, doubled and redoubled, and that it happens sooner rather than later so that Anna can begin to heal.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread