+ Reply to Thread
Page 104 of 155 FirstFirst ... 454949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1548
Like Tree839Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

CCL

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

^ It (Sherlock, ep 2) was so funny at times, however. I was rolling at
    Click to see Spoiler:
    drunk Sherlock. People have been speculating about Mary, whether she is evil or is somehow in thrall to Magnusson (sp?). Most people seem to think she's going to end up getting killed off.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

America is more Downton-mad than ever:

'Downton Abbey' Season Four Premiere Delivers 10.2 Million Viewers

Two-Hour Premiere of “Downton Abbey, Season 4” on MASTERPIECE Highest Rated Drama Premiere in PBS History

Written By Sara Bibel
    January 6th, 2014

ARLINGTON, VA; January 6, 2014 -- PBS and WGBH announced today that the premiere of “Downton Abbey, Season 4” on MASTERPIECE enchanted viewers nationwide as the Crawley family faced changes in the wake of last season’s shocking finale. An average audience of 10.2 million viewers tuned in for Sunday’s premiere. (Nielsen Fast National data, 6.2 household rating.)

The fourth season premiere of the Emmy®, Golden Globe® and SAG Award®-winning series, a Carnival Films/MASTERPIECE co-production, improved upon the average rating of the third season premiere of “Downton Abbey” by 22 percent (based on Fast Nationals, both seasons). Between 9:00-11:00 p.m., PBS tied with CBS as the most watched network on Sunday (based on weighted metered market averages).

“As this captivating drama continues, our audiences have been eagerly awaiting this new season to see what’s next for these beloved characters,” said PBS president and CEO Paula Kerger. “I’m so pleased that millions of viewers have returned to ‘Downton Abbey’ on their local PBS stations for what has become a post-holiday tradition.”

“I’m delighted to see that the Crawley family’s intrigue continues to beguile our viewers,” said MASTERPIECE executive producer Rebecca Eaton. “Julian Fellowes has written every word of all four seasons of ‘Downton,’ and I toss him a huge bouquet on behalf of his American fans.”
    Full press release here.
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    ^ It (Sherlock, ep 2) was so funny at times, however. I was rolling at
    Click to see Spoiler:
    drunk Sherlock. People have been speculating about Mary, whether she is evil or is somehow in thrall to Magnusson (sp?). Most people seem to think she's going to end up getting killed off.
    I really hope the people who think
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Mary will be killed off are wrong. I love her! Drunk Sherlock was excellent.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

^ Yes, I agree
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I like Mary, too. I guess everyone thinks she throws a wrench in the Sherlock-Watson relationship and so has to go to revert things to status quo. I agree she makes it different but I don't think that necessarily means it's worse/she needs to go.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Sherlock, Series 3, Episode 2...

Click to see Spoiler:
    I'm convinced Mary will be killed off for two reasons...

1) As Mrs Hudson says, marriage changes everything. Even if he consciously didn't want it to, the knowledge that he has a wife and child to care for would keep a man like Watson from putting himself in the requisite danger for his character. I doubt the writers will want to deal with that hinderance.

2) Like the Scandal in Belgravia episode I've already watched this episode multiple times. And, as was the case with The Woman, I have fallen madly in love with the character of Mary, and the spirit and humor with which Amanda Abbington imbues in her. This is a surefire death knell for any character.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Full press release here.
    Sigh! Yes, the first episode was quite wonderful! I'm SOOOOOO glad Downton Abbey is back with us for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Sigh! Yes, the first episode was quite wonderful! I'm SOOOOOO glad Downton Abbey is back with us for a while.
    I thought it was wonderful, I love it, warts and all
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

re: Downton - I thought it was curious that they slapped the first 2 episodes together to make a "2-hour premiere" in the US. Those two episodes were shown separately in the UK. (The first ep ends with Mary sitting in on the farmers' meeting in the dining room; the second ep starts with Mrs. Hughes sharing the letter from Gwen to the staff)

I would think that PBS would want to stretch out the season as long as possible.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    re: Downton - I thought it was curious that they slapped the first 2 episodes together to make a "2-hour premiere" in the US. Those two episodes were shown separately in the UK. (The first ep ends with Mary sitting in on the farmers' meeting in the dining room; the second ep starts with Mrs. Hughes sharing the letter from Gwen to the staff)

I would think that PBS would want to stretch out the season as long as possible.
    Maybe PBS put the 1st two episodes together because there is some kind of scheduling issue coming up in the near future ---- with some other programming, perhaps.

I thought that was odd too, MFW. I think they were just trying to kick the season off in a big way.

I plan on watching on PBS, but it feels weird, since I saw it months ago. It's like watching re-runs and I keep going "Oh, yeah. I remember when that happened!"

I'll be watching tonight and drinking my special Downton Estate Blend tea out of my Sherlock Holmes mug
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread