+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 145 FirstFirst ... 5090919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1444
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

CCL

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Downton Christmas special question

Click to see Spoiler:
    I missed the last twenty minutes or so. My feed cut off after Mary burned the train ticket. If you've seen it can you tell me what happens? Thanks.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Downton Christmas Special:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Overall I enjoyed it -- finally, the days of OMG EVERYONE IS DYING AND WE'RE GONNA LOSE THE ESTATE are gone, and the characters are finding themselves in less melodramatic situations. I like how they even attempted involving the family is a "caper" -- saving the Prince of Wales from scandal by stealing a stolen love letter? It was like Downton meets A Fish Called Wanda. And it was written well, except for the one plot hole where Sampson would eventually find out that the Crawleys were sneaking around in his flat, which would mean he could still cause trouble for them, but I guess that is just being ignored.

I was particularly happy that several moments of possible forced romance turned out to be false, especially that last bit with Carson and Mrs. Hughes at the beach, which I loved -- the "risque" hand-holding was anything but, and I loved her affirmation at the end that, look, this is the life we've locked ourselves into, we may as well extract as much enjoyment out of it as we can. They don't need to hook up, they're already platonically married in a sense. They are the downstairs Crawley family.

"Mary's Men" -- -- I like that this still isn't settled. Mary is still the center of the show, so Julian Fellowes should allow her to live life for a while before getting tied down again. And based on her speech to Gillingham, that's what she has decided for herself. But I like that Charles is the frontrunner, especially with his newly revealed "secret".

I'm not so sure about the directions that Tom and Edith are heading toward. The document that Edith signed turned out to be power of attorney over Editor Man's affairs, so I guess she's going to be editor of the newspaper? Mmmkay. I think the baby storyline was a little rushed; they could have waited for next season to have her decide to bring the baby back from Germany and have it raised in the village. Are the German adoptive couple just going to roll over and accept this? As for Tom, his story got the short end of the stick. 8 months have gone by since he started flirting with the schoolteacher, and nothing? And now Thomas is trying to frame Branson somehow for giving the lady a tour of the house? And after stirring that up, there's no resolution to it all?

And Barrow's sudden bursts of evil are starting to become cliche -- suddenly he now has a problem with Tom's position? What happened to Thomas' love and respect for Sybil's memory? This was some really cheap plotting. I love Rob James-Collier, but from a logical standpoint, Thomas should have gotten the heave-ho a long, long time ago. The logic behind him still being there has turned silly. But he's a popular character, so it's the price the show pays. But overall, this was a pretty thin subplot that should have been wrapped up quickly. And if they are going to keep Thomas around, give him some more gaybait to play with!

I have to watch it again, but overall I was happy with it as a light-hearted, standalone episode.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Uncle David, I happily watched the first four episodes of Season 2 on YouTube, When I got email that showed Episode 5 had been uploaded, I went and found that it had been removed from the site. I can't seem to get a regular stream from anywhere else that works for me. Have you heard anything? I'm so missing it.

Thanks.
    I cannot find them, when I do find something its not available in this country( BBC)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

CCL

Downton
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I have to disagree about Mary and her suitors. Her charmed life is almost too ridiculous at this point. Oh, no, she can't inherit the estate....that's ok, she'll fall in love with the heir. Oh, no, the estate faces ruin...that's ok, her beloved's fiancée's father will conveniently die (after the inconvenient fiancée dies) and leave a pile of money. And now she's got three suitors and the one who is "inconvenient" turns out to have a pile of money on the line. Of course. Rolling my eyes.

The scene with Mr Truitt and Edith....now there's an uncommon man. I feel the bringing over of the baby won't turn out well.

It's not that I mind that Tom has a potential romance but I can't get behind this Sarah Bunting with her "Where is the current Mrs Grantham's shield with the dollar symbol?" Oh, how scandalous of her. Sibyl did it better.

I quite liked Madelyn. She can stay. Of course now that the season is done we shall never see her again.

So now that the other cook is out of the picture is Alfred coming back in?

The letter caper was entertaining. Enjoyed Bates's role.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Downton Christmas Special... It was my favorite episode of the Series 4!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Click to see Spoiler:
    OK, so what were the pills that the doctor's son took from his father's case? It was obvious that the child was scheming to be disruptive to the wedding, drinking the red juice, "vomiting red", and then coming down with what looked like polio? I'm confused, but I've also only watched the Midwife Holiday Special once.

Thought I'd better go back and add spoiler tags because of the west coast time difference!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 12-29-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

OK, so what were the pills that the doctor's son took from his father's case? It was obvious that the child was scheming to be disruptive to the wedding, drinking the red juice, "vomiting red", and then coming down with what looked like polio? I'm confused, but I've also only watched the Midwife Holiday Special once.
    I didn't think he was scheming to be disruptive to the wedding. I actually thought the complete opposite. He seemed to be very happy with the impending marriage and had promoted the relationship in earlier episodes. I think he was taking pills from his father's case because he wasn't feeling well, didn't want to become a bother during this happy time, and was self medicating. (I will admit I don't know the significance of the red juice.)

He did come down with polio.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What struck me was that he WAS happy at the thought of the marriage, earlier on, but it seemed to me that the closer the time came for the wedding, the more jealous he became. He got nasty/snippy with Shelagh(?) about her wedding dress when she asked him for his opinion, snapping that he was not a woman, or even a girl. He was sneaking into his father's case, when he wouldn't have had to do that had he talked to his dad. He was making a point to be quiet. He perked up when his dad told him that he wanted him to be his best man, and that he would get him some Brylcreem for his hair. They made a point of showing the red liquid in the glass that he had been drinking, for a reason. I just think there was more to his actions than one would ordinarily think.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What struck me was that he WAS happy at the thought of the marriage, earlier on, but it seemed to me that the closer the time came for the wedding, the more jealous he became. He got nasty/snippy with Shelagh(?) about her wedding dress when she asked him for his opinion, snapping that he was not a woman, or even a girl. He was sneaking into his father's case, when he wouldn't have had to do that had he talked to his dad. He was making a point to be quiet. He perked up when his dad told him that he wanted him to be his best man, and that he would get him some Brylcreem for his hair. They made a point of showing the red liquid in the glass that he had been drinking, for a reason. I just think there was more to his actions than one would ordinarily think.
    I was confused by all of that, too.

I initially thought like you did that he was trying to do something that would make him appear ill to disrupt the wedding. As for the red drink, I think part of what that was about was that they showed the boys sharing the drink, which would be a great way to spread polio, and if they were doing it in that instance, you know they did it frequently.

It was all very confusing, but I think in the end, it was a case of the boy trying to self-medicate and not let anyone know he wasn't feeling well, and by doing so, he suppressed symptoms that made it so he was much more ill by the time he couldn't cover it up anymore.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

CCL

I agree that he was trying to self- medicate. While he was snippy with Sheila, he wasn't feeling well and that was surely part of it. And I agree that the drink was emphasized to show them sharing drinks and having the disease spread in turn.

I liked that they showed more of Trixie's background - how there was a sadness behind her good time girl image. Now we need more background on the other one whose name escapes me at the moment. Actually, thinking of it, we don't really know a lot about any of their lives outside of/before their time at Nonnatus House. I think Chummy's background is the one we know most about. Speaking of her, I wonder if Chummy will rejoin the nurses or if she will remain out of the workforce. If the latter they will have to work in ways for her to keep being present. And what happened to the really shy woman who started at the house when Chummy went off to Africa?

+ Reply to Thread