+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 145 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater

I just saw the news about Shirley MacLaine and I have mixed feelings. I LOVE her, but this feels like stunt casting. I hope this doesn't turn into Glee with all kinds of people wanting on the show. It distracts. They renewed the show in November, when season 2 was still airing in the UK last fall, so I think they should be starting to shoot any time now.

Last night was the first time when it felt like a bad edit there at the end. I'm almost positive that the UK version didn't end with a shot of William. I just can't remember what came next. I know PBS edits the episodes down, but it hasn't been too noticeable up until last night. It may just have shortened the shot, but it felt really abrupt.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I bawled during that wedding, that was so sad. I felt so bad for William, but I felt even sorrier for Daisy. You could tell she felt such a fraud, but she had no way out of it.

Even though I hate the character of Vera Bates, I love the actress who plays her, Maria Doyle Kennedy. She was awesome as Queen Catherine in The Tudors. And I remember her from when she played one of the girl singers in the movie The Commitments. She's been around for quite a while. I wonder what mischief she will cook up next for Mr. Bates and Anna.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie View Post
    I bawled during that wedding, that was so sad. I felt so bad for William, but I felt even sorrier for Daisy. You could tell she felt such a fraud, but she had no way out of it.

Even though I hate the character of Vera Bates, I love the actress who plays her, Maria Doyle Kennedy. She was awesome as Queen Catherine in The Tudors. And I remember her from when she played one of the girl singers in the movie The Commitments. She's been around for quite a while. I wonder what mischief she will cook up next for Mr. Bates and Anna.
    I never got into The Tudors, but I remember her from The Commitments. Vera is pure evil, but I like MDK a lot.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Lovely, lovely episode. I had a feeling something would happen to Matthew and William after the big happy ending in the last epi. After all, something has to happen to The Heir, or it would be boring show. Overall, I thought it was well written and acted.

I had the opposite reaction about Daisy. I did feel sorry for her when it came to the proposal, but when the doctor made it clear that William was going to die, I just wanted to shake her. Really? You couldn't have grinned and beared it for just a little while to make a dying man happy?

I forgot to say this last week. I'm so glad Bates is back. I love the friction between him and Thomas. He said one of my favorite lines from this show so far. (After finding out that Thomas is now a hoity-toity acting seargeant and clearly loving reminding the servants of it. ) "Well, that's reason enough to pray for peace." I just about died laughing when he said that.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I forgot to say this last week. I'm so glad Bates is back. I love the friction between him and Thomas. He said one of my favorite lines from this show so far. (After finding out that Thomas is now a hoity-toity acting seargeant and clearly loving reminding the servants of it. ) "Well, that's reason enough to pray for peace." I just about died laughing when he said that.
    That was a great line I also liked Cora to Robert when Edith and Mary were performing together: "A unicorn if there ever was one."

"If You Were the Only Girl in the World" is like the un-removable earworm. It's been in my head for weeks!

I agree about Daisy, however, right before William died, she refused to leave his room, stating that she belonged in there with him. I am wondering if she will realize that she cared more for him that she was willing to admit.

Critical, how were you able to watch the UK episodes ahead of time? Are they on a dvd that you were able to order? When is the Christmas episode? Is it coming up in the next week or so?

Quote Originally Posted by ladygreco View Post
    I agree about Daisy, however, right before William died, she refused to leave his room, stating that she belonged in there with him. I am wondering if she will realize that she cared more for him that she was willing to admit.

Critical, how were you able to watch the UK episodes ahead of time? Are they on a dvd that you were able to order? When is the Christmas episode? Is it coming up in the next week or so?
    They're all available online, since the show aired last fall in the UK. Just google and you should be able to find them pretty easily.

The Christmas episode is the final episode of the season. I think it will air on PBS (probably with episode 8) on February 19th.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I ordered the DVDs, but they won't be sent until the season is over here. I do read spoilers ahead of time, but haven't taken the time to watch online.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I just saw that SHIRLEY MacLAINE is going to play Cora's mother during Season 3 of Downton Abbey. Which brings up a HUGE question. When she and Maggie Smith are on the screen at the same time, WHO will be the primary scene stealer??? I don't know how they plan to portray Shirley's character, but my first thought it would be a "Molly Brown" type of character - rich, but raunchy.

And the best news of that announcement . . . THERE WILL BE A SEASON THREE!!!!
    I don't think we have much to worry about as far as Shirley MacLaine intentionally trying to be a scene stealer from Maggie Smith --- They are both extraordinarily fine actresses, and deserve every bit of attention they get. Remember Shirley in Steel Magnolias? She was a FABULOUS ensemble player in Steel Magnolias -- and all of the women in that film had shining moments -- with each other and on their own. I think of it more as scene "enhancement" rather than scene "stealing"!
    Florimel and AZChristian like this.

I think she did realize this right after the wedding/before he died and also realized that she had made the right decision.

+ Reply to Thread