+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Spartacus on Starz

Re: Spartacus on Starz

After the last episode I cant imagine how they are going to top it for the season ender--which has come up much too fast.

I started watching this on Netflix once it started suggesting it. AWESOME show. And the new episodes come to Netflix the same day!
    "I bet that a lot of people are b!ithing right now and they don't want me to be here but....I'm here to crush dreams! What can I say?"
    ----Janelle after winning 3rd HOH out of 6 possible

Sad News:

'Spartacus' star Andy Whitfield, 39, dies of lymphoma | News Briefs | EW.com

'Spartacus' star Andy Whitfield, 39, dies of lymphoma
    by Annie Barrett
    Categories: In Memoriam, Television

Andy Whitfield, who starred in the first season of Starz’ Spartacus: Blood and Sand, has died of non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in Sydney, Australia. Spartacus was the Wales native’s first big break; most of his previous work was in Australian television.

Whitfield was diagnosed 18 months ago while preparing for the second season of Spartacus. Starz announced in January that Liam McIntyre, another Australian actor, would take over the role.

In a statement, Whitfield’s wife Vashti called her husband a “beautiful young warrior” who died on a “sunny Sydney morning” in her arms.

“No words to express the depth of such a loss. You will be deeply missed, my brother,” said Spartacus creator Steven DeKnight on Twitter.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Further news about season 2:

Liam McIntyre is the new Spartacus! | Inside TV | EW.com

Jan 17

Liam McIntyre is the new Spartacus!
    by James Hibberd

Australian actor Liam McIntyre will take over the role as the fierce Thracian warrior in Starz’ cult hit series.

The decision comes after a lengthy and difficult process to find a new lead on the show after star Andy Whitfield had to depart the series to resume treatment for cancer. Earlier this month, Starz decided to move forward with a second season as the number of contenders for the role narrowed.

“Since no one can really replace Andy, we realized that we should instead find an actor who can truly lead Spartacus forward,” said Starz president and CEO Chris Albrecht in a statement. “It was important to us to have Andy endorse the idea of recasting this part, which he did in the same heroic manner that he’s dealt with his whole ordeal. And that, coupled with our fortune in finding a young actor with the gladiator credentials and the acting ability of Liam, makes it easier for us to keep this hit franchise going.”

The actor, who was recently seen in HBO’s The Pacific, beat out a field of contenders that included Stephen Amell and Aiden Turner. McIntyre also appeared in Aussie series Neighbors and Rush. The Spartacus saga returns on Jan. 21 with the premiere of prequel series Gods of the Arena (trailer here). Season two of Spartacus: Blood and Sand will debut next year.

Very sad news. I had hoped with his youth and physical condition, he could beat this awful disease. And it looked like he was going to be alright for awhile, and make it back to the show!
    An amazing actor who put a lot of tender emotion into the role of a wild fighting gladiator.

I too was very surprised and sadden that he did not survive.

Thank you for posting this here. I posted it in the Celeb forum because when I searched for this thread I couldn't find it. It is very, very sad. One question though is that I am seeing reports that he was 37 and some that he was 39. I wish they'd fix that.

A tribute has been planned too:

Starz has announced plans to pay tribute to Spartacus: Blood and Sand star Andy Whitfield, who died last Sunday at age 37 of non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.

The network will showcase five of the late actor’s standout episodes from the series this October, including both the premiere and finale. The mini-marathon begins at 9/8c on Sunday, Oct. 2.

Additionally, Starz is set to re-air the entire season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand on December 16, 2011.
    Source: Starz Pays Tribute to Spartacus' Andy Whitfield, Ringer Lands MIOBI Star, and More - TVLine

The show is back in its final season.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789