+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Spartacus on Starz

Re: Spartacus on Starz

Interview with Lucy Lawless.

Uinterview | U Q&A: Lucy Lawless

U Q&A
    Lucy Lawless

She was the almighty Xena. Now, Lucy Lawless is having fun in and out of her clothes on Starz' hit Spartacus.

Q: Have you had a chance to talk to your Spartacus co-star Andy Whitfield since he was diagnosed with cancer? - Erik Meers
    A: Yes, he is going strong. He's a bit bored and he's doing a bit of photography work. I think it's going really well. He's doing better than he was last month. You know once the treatment is all under his belt, and he'll be raring to go in September when we start shooting again.

Q: What has been your favorite scene to work on in the show so far? - Erik Meers
    A: I always like the scenes with women because they're so dangerous. What people say and what people mean are completely different things. They're keeping these very polite smiles on their face, but really they're just stabbing you in the back. Don't turn your backs in Ancient Rome.

Q: Your husband is one of the creators of the show. What does he think about all the nude scenes that you're in? - Erik Meers
    A: It's nice to see him at work. I don't know, you'd have to ask him.

Q: You have a merkin [a pubic wig] for the show. Have you gotten to use it? - Erik Meers
    A: I think everyone's got [a merkin] just for fun. Mine, I haven't had to break it out yet. Though [laughs] next season, maybe! Yeah, wait for it!

Q: They gave the men prosthetics as well. Who's using one? - Erik Meers
    A: I don't know, a couple are stapled to the wall. I'm not sure if they've used them yet. Nobody's telling!

Q: In preparation for all these scenes where you get to expose yourself, have you felt the need to go back to the gym and get into fighting shape for the show? - Erik Meers
    A: My character is not supposed to be ripped. She's a woman. It's Ancient Rome. It's not like they were popping off to the gym every two seconds, but they were very image conscious, that's for sure. I must admit that I have beefed up my exercise routine in the interim. Since I finished the show, I'm doing a lot more squats and even running now.

Q: The show has brought movie-like production values to TV. What's the feedback you've gotten from the network? - Erik Meers
    A: They were supportive right from the start. They really had the conviction that we had made a show that was very brave. And you've got to be, to get attention these days to penetrate the market, you've got to be pretty outrageous and prepared to go there. I think they pushed us to go there until we found the boundary of what the show wanted to be and then we sort of pulled back and went, 'Oh yeah, okay, we don't need to go past that point...' The show really found it's place.

Q: Do you still have a very big following from your Xena days? - Erik Meers
    A: Oh, yeah, they're amazing. I couldn't be luckier. They're the most incredibly loyal fans, they're incredible supportive even though I go off on wild tangents. They understand the difference between Xena and Lucy and they love me anyway. I'm very grateful for the bold support they've given me. It's a great stage to jump off from.

Q: Would you ever consider going back and doing a follow-up to Xena? - Erik Meers
    A: Well, I would, but apart from me and Rob, there doesn't seem to be anyone else interested in doing that. And Renee, I think Renee [O'Connor] would be into it.

Q: What are you doing in your time off before you go back to working on Spartacus? - Erik Meers
    A: Well, I'm doing sailing lessons today with my kid's school because we live in Auckland, New Zealand, the "city of sails." And I'm having a good life. At some point, I need to get back to work and I'm on the look out for a project to keep me busy in the interim.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

A review of tonight's episode:

Ilithyia delivers dagger to Spartacus' heart this Friday - Monsters and Critics

Ilithyia delivers dagger to Spartacus' heart this Friday

By April MacIntyre Mar 24, 2010, 14:39 GMT

On Starz' "Spartacus: Blood and Sand," the tale of our Thracian hero under the heel of Rome and Batiatus's sandal, you know all too well his suffering and patient wait for a chance, a moment, anything to return home a free man. His old life he tries hard to not dream of, commanded to forget.

The inequities of life abound in this period of history; the women - even the nobility - are all still the chattel of men, fearful of their judgement and ire, their only survival skill their wiles and alliances. The slave class merely are pieces of flesh commanded to do anything at their master's whim. Their lives are but a bag of coin, including the venerated Gladiators.

This episode of Spartacus brings home these facts of life for the era as our favorite Gladiator tale Friday night unfolds the chapter called "party favors."

A young boy turns the milestone age of 15, and we find the wide-eyed Gladiator obsessed-lad being led by the nose. On his 15th birthday, Numerius (Lliam Powell) is given a special present---control over Batiatus' gladiators as though the patrician teen was their master.

Spartacus and Crixus are set up to fight in an exhibition match for Numerius' birthday party - but Crixus is intent on blood. The hidden evil strikes out and places another dagger in Spartacus' heart.

This episode will bring you to tears.

Party Favors stars Andy Whitfield, Lucy Lawless, John Hannah and Viva Bianca and Liam Powell. Directed by Chris Martin-Jones.

It did bring me to tears!!! I freaking couldn't believe it....I think I was in shock for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bill'swife;3864377;
    It did bring me to tears!!! I freaking couldn't believe it....I think I was in shock for a moment.
    While last weeks episode shocked me (Ilythia killing Licinia). I still don't know how to properly describe what I feel about this weeks episode. Utter shock and disbelief are the main feelings.

April 2, 2010 - episode 11 "Old Wounds"

Again another brilliant episode. This show has better blindsides than Tribal Council on Survivor.

To be honest I had high hopes for this show just from listening to all the hype and then I was a bit disappointed after the premiere but the last 3 episodes have really been outstanding. Very interesting use of visions, dreams, inner voice and pacing and editing and meshing it all with very graphic visuals and music. Seriously, this show makes me want to go workout just so I can wear all the brief costumes the actors wear and go fight in the arena. Now the feeling doesn't last too long but it is fun while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3868834;
    April 2, 2010 - episode 11 "Old Wounds"
    This show has better blindsides than Tribal Council on Survivor.
    Ah, if you mean the double cross, I saw that coming.

I am enjoying the show more now than at the beginning. I still appreciate the Shakespearean cadence to the dialog. They are making a whole group of viewers watch theater without knowing it

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3869112;
    Ah, if you mean the double cross, I saw that coming.

I am enjoying the show more now than at the beginning. I still appreciate the Shakespearean cadence to the dialog. They are making a whole group of viewers watch theater without knowing it
    You mean to the other ludus owner??

April 9, 2010 - "Revelations"

I have thoroughly been enjoying the last several episodes the twists at the end have been mind blowing. The Revelations episode is more of a setup for the season finale but again there are priceless moments. Batiatus kissing the head of Numerius in the arena right before Solonius's execution. Ashur sleeping with Naema to get back at Crixus. Glaber trying yet again to have Spartacus killed or humiliated. Batiatus blackmailing Galber with the knowledge that Ilithyia killed his cousin Licinia.

I must admit all the men are in fine shape on this show even Solonius has a killer 6 pack. Who knew that was under his toga.

Just a reminder that April 16th, 2010 is the season finale for Spartacus.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3877593;
    Just a reminder that April 16th, 2010 is the season finale for Spartacus.
    Just watched it.

O.M.G.

+ Reply to Thread