+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Spartacus on Starz

Re: Spartacus on Starz

2/25/10

OK another show that has my head scratching. Who is more despicable Batiatus or Asher. Asher deliberately set up Barca to be murdered. What really got me was Batiatus saying that Barca was disloyal for wanting to be free and no longer Batiatus's slave. That is a load of crap. In the Roman system slaves could buy their freedom. I really don't like it when writers rewrite history. There is so much they can do without changing stuff. Then that gruesome scene at the end where Sura, Spartacus's wife lay dying in his arms and Batiatus say's to Lucretia that he fulfilled his bargain to Spartacus by reuniting husband and wife with major eye staring indicating major subtext that Batiatus was behind the attack on the cart carrying Spartacus's wife. Just a icky, backstabbing mess. I am rapidly losing anyone to like in this show.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I've watched all of the episodes back to back and I have to say this is a blue collar Rome, right down to the relationship between Spartacus and the blond cherub looking gladiator
    Leaves me feeling kinda meh
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

March 5, 2010

Episode 108 - Great and Unfortunate Things

Finally, an episode I liked. It makes sense. I finished with episode thinking OK now I see what the critics are raving about. It has taken this long for Spartacus to be born. It was a painful and messy incubation period and now we have the birth of the character Spartacus. I need a stiff drink having to endure 7 episodes of painful labor.

Yes, there are painful and bloody and brutal aspects to the story but they mainly push the story along, especially the flashbacks to Spartacus and his wife Sura. There is a bit of a standing joke that the main character's name is not really Spartacus but he actual name is never revealed. Also if you are an actor and get a part on Spartacus that does not mean any job security, not with the way the characters back stab each other in this show. At this point in the series I do not feel as if I had been wasting my time watching and I do look forward to seeing where the next 5 episodes will take me.

Currently, Starzz is having a mid season marathon showing all 8 of the Spartacus episodes. Enjoy!

I was hooked on this show from day one!!! Love it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3841491;
    2/25/10

Who is more despicable Batiatus or Asher.
    Batiatus...Ashur is a close second!!

Quote Originally Posted by bill'swife;3850615;
    Batiatus...Ashur is a close second!!
    After realizing that Batiatus arranged to have Sura killed I agree. But then again Ashur fooled Batiatus doesn't that make Ashur the bigger schemer?

Batiatus scares me more as he loses it and Ashur doesn't let anything touch him, even death, see him eating nuts during the funeral as if it is all entertainment for him.

Yes, Ashur is pretty cold blooded too. Now Doctore is playing detective regarding Barca's exit and he's throwing Naevia's name in there. Crixus and his sweetie need to be careful because Ashur is always sneakin' around spying on ppl.!! I'm sure he's onto the whole thing with the necklace.

eta...I wonder who will be Batiatus' bodyguard now that Barca is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by bill'swife;3850965;
    Yes, Ashur is pretty cold blooded too. Now Doctore is playing detective regarding Barca's exit and he's throwing Naevia's name in there. Crixus and his sweetie need to be careful because Ashur is always sneakin' around spying on ppl.!! I'm sure he's onto the whole thing with the necklace.
    That had me worried cause I like the Crixus and Naevia story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by bill'swife;3850965;
    eta...I wonder who will be Batiatus' bodyguard now that Barca is gone?
    Good question, especially with Barca gone and Crixus laid up and with Spartacus throwing the other one we knew over the cliff. (I have to admit I thought that was funny.)

One of my siblings came over this weekend and we ended watching Spartacus together and it was nice to share with someone. Thing was we laughed. It was so over the top. Then I realized that Spartacus is a really hoped up Hercules/Xena show and just to sit back and relax and enjoy. Hopefully Joxer will not show up. Comic relief we do not need. That's what all the buckets of blood is for.

With all the mouth hits on this show; doesn't it make you wonder how the gladiators even have any teeth left?

+ Reply to Thread