+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Golden Globes 2010

FORT Fogey

Re: Golden Globes 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3799647;
    Wish I'd seen Robt Downey Jr's speech but I liked Monique's speech. Loved when Grey Gardens won, but why is there always one total microphone-hog when ten people go up? (In that case, not one but two!) I'd love to have heard what Drew Barrymore or Jessica Lange had to say.
    As Rattus already mentioned, the cast was on stage with the Producers b/c of tradition. The award was for "Best Mini Series or Motion Picture Made For Television." Drew Barrymore did win for her performance as Little Edie for the "Best Performance by an Actress In a Mini Series or Motion Picture Made For Television," though. Her acceptance speech actually mentioned Monique's acceptance speech. Sorry you missed it! They usually re-run the Golden Globes, at least they used to, when it was televised on other networks. Not sure if they still do that or not.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3799514;
    I wasn't all that thrilled with most of the winners, but I never am with these things. I tend to like the things that aren't as mainstream popular, at least with movies, so I wasn't happy with Sandra Bullock and Avatar winning.
    I tend to like things that aren't "mainstream popular," too, but I have read/heard that Sandra Bullock is really great in "The Blind Side." I haven't seen all of the other movies in her winning category to compare it to, though. I really do like Sandra Bullock. She's so not the "typical Hollywood celebrity." She's also extremely generous in her charity work. She, alone, gave 1 million dollars to 'Doctors Without Borders,' so that the Haitian victims would receive immediate help. A lot of other celebrities partnered with other celebrities to give similar amounts, but she soley gifted that amount (I know they probably give to other charities, too, but I'm sure Sandra does as well). I just really like her. I loved her acceptance speech - serious, yet sprinkled with humor, too. And I loved how she mentioned to her husband, Jesse James, that she "never really knew what it felt like for someone to have her back, until she met him."

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3799506;
    Yes, yes, totally yes. The visual aspects of it were amazing. But the story was overly predictable, the dialog--especially the lingo--was old even for now (let alone 150 years in the future), and it needed to be at least 40 minutes shorter. I was talking about this with my BIL this weekend. He's a bigger sci-fi nerd than me (which is almost hard for me to believe ) and we both concluded that while it was great to see once in the theaters for the effects, it's not something we want to buy and watch again. I really wanted Inglourious Basterds to win. That's my favorite movie from last year, though I haven't yet seen Moon (Amazon should deliver that very soon) nor Up In The Air.
    Wow, am I glad to read this...I'm going to the movies this weekend and I was thisclose to getting sucked into picking Avatar over Daybreakers (which I wanted to see because I like vampire flicks and helloooo, Willem Dafoe). I'll live without the 3D effects and rent it later.

It would have been nice for Inglourious Basterds to win. I loved it but at least Christoph Waltz got his well-deserved award. I thought The Hangover was hilarious so their win was a pleasant surprise. I was also glad to see Michael C. Hall win, but as a fan of his (since Six Feet Under, my most-favourite TV show ever) I was upset to see the effects of his chemo - I guess it just seemed so soon after the announcement of his illness.

On a completely shallow note of my own, I thought Robert Downey Jr. looked spectacular, besides being utterly charming and witty in his acceptance speech.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3800228;
    Wow, am I glad to read this...I'm going to the movies this weekend and I was thisclose to getting sucked into picking Avatar over Daybreakers (which I wanted to see because I like vampire flicks and helloooo, Willem Dafoe). I'll live without the 3D effects and rent it later.

It would have been nice for Inglourious Basterds to win. I loved it but at least Christoph Waltz got his well-deserved award. I thought The Hangover was hilarious so their win was a pleasant surprise. I was also glad to see Michael C. Hall win, but as a fan of his (since Six Feet Under, my most-favourite TV show ever) I was upset to see the effects of his chemo - I guess it just seemed so soon after the announcement of his illness.

On a completely shallow note of my own, I thought Robert Downey Jr. looked spectacular, besides being utterly charming and witty in his acceptance speech.
    He did look really well didn't he??

I really have no urge to see Avatar, but Daybreakers sounds interesting!!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The show was pretty boring, if you ask me. The awards definitely went to the mainstream picks. It just shows how far name recognition will go with these awards.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I saw Jon Hamm being interviewed on the pre-show by Ryan Seacrest and Guilianna. In real life, he is so unlike Don Draper on Mad Men.
    Shows me what a great actor he is.
    I figured Michael C. Hall would get it, but I wished it had gone to Jon.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3799654;
    Actually, it was generosity on the part of the producer(s) that Drew, Jessica and the others were up there at all. The award was actually technically being picked up by the woman who did most of the talking, and they only have a limited amount of time to get their thanks in.
    Okee. But aside from Drew and Jessica wasn't there three or four other people up there too? It just seems common courtesy. Maybe this time the person who talked the most worked the most in that capacity but I was speaking in general too. Who hasn't seen an Oscar ceremony without that happening at least once. I think they should at least let the other ones say 'hi mom.'

The second woman didn't have much time alloted once the first was done, and they both went over time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123