+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden Globes 2010

Re: Golden Globes 2010

I got 12 out of 24 correct. Darn!
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave;3799501;
    Doesn't anyone think Avatar is a little over-rated? I thought it was visually amazing, but too long, kinda boring, and much of the dialogue was corny and canned. The best part of the movie was the early part as we are introduced to all the creatures of Pandora. After that...meh.
    Yes, yes, totally yes. The visual aspects of it were amazing. But the story was overly predictable, the dialog--especially the lingo--was old even for now (let alone 150 years in the future), and it needed to be at least 40 minutes shorter. I was talking about this with my BIL this weekend. He's a bigger sci-fi nerd than me (which is almost hard for me to believe ) and we both concluded that while it was great to see once in the theaters for the effects, it's not something we want to buy and watch again. I really wanted Inglourious Basterds to win. That's my favorite movie from last year, though I haven't yet seen Moon (Amazon should deliver that very soon) nor Up In The Air.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3799506;
    ...I really wanted Inglourious Basterds to win. That's my favorite movie from last year, though I haven't yet seen Moon (Amazon should deliver that very soon) nor Up In The Air.
    Good movie.

I actually want to see what the big deal is about Up In The Air.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me

Yay Glee!!! <--- Emma Pillsbury voice

Jane Lynch was robbed! I can't stand Chloe Sevigny, so I was especially annoyed that Jane didn't win. I though Lea deserved the win in her category too. It was so cool to see all the Glee "kids up there on stage, although I missed Mark Saling. Diana Agron looked especially pretty.

Yay for Michael C. Hall! It's clear now that he probably came out about his illness because of how he looks and he knew he'd be going to the awards show. You can explain away a bald head ("It's for a role" or "I wanted a change") but no eyebrows or lashes is obvious. I was so happy for him and for John Lithgow.

Yay also for Mad Men! No kudos for Christina's Hendicks's horrible peach-colored nightmare of a dress. She usually looks incredible, so I was shocked to see her in that thing. She needs to fire her stylist.

I wasn't all that thrilled with most of the winners, but I never am with these things. I tend to like the things that aren't as mainstream popular, at least with movies, so I wasn't happy with Sandra Bullock and Avatar winning.

Also, could James Cameron please get a damn haircut? Jeez, it's the Golden Globes, dude. You look like a homeless person. Suzi Amis is starting to look exactly like Linda Hamilton. No one can say Cameron doesn't have a type.

I wanted someone to hand Julia Roberts a barrette to get her hair out of her eyes. NOT attractive.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm aghast at The Hangover winning. I mean, really? really? I wasnt expecting half of the people who won to win.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3799514;
    Yay also for Mad Men! No kudos for Christina's Hendicks's horrible peach-colored nightmare of a dress. She usually looks incredible, so I was shocked to see her in that thing. She needs to fire her stylist.
    She actually designed that herself with Christian Siriano of Project Runway fame. She gets the blame.

And I agree with you about The Hangover, AmyLee. Not impressed at all... such an odd movie for an award.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3799512;
    I actually want to see what the big deal is about Up In The Air.
    It's a good movie - it touches upon different things like the current recession - but it falls apart in the last 10 minutes, in my opinion. I don't see what the fuss is about either, other than the movie going experience really leaves a lot to be desired lately.

Wish I'd seen Robt Downey Jr's speech but I liked Monique's speech.

Loved when Grey Gardens won, but why is there always one total microphone-hog when ten people go up? (In that case, not one but two!) I'd love to have heard what Drew Barrymore or Jessica Lange had to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3799647;
    Loved when Grey Gardens won, but why is there always one total microphone-hog when ten people go up? (In that case, not one but two!) I'd love to have heard what Drew Barrymore or Jessica Lange had to say.
    Actually, it was generosity on the part of the producer(s) that Drew, Jessica and the others were up there at all. The award was actually technically being picked up by the woman who did most of the talking, and they only have a limited amount of time to get their thanks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3799628;
    And I agree with you about The Hangover, AmyLee. Not impressed at all... such an odd movie for an award.
    I don't know - if a drama had a lot of people crying and made a lot of money, it would be a no-brainer if it won in the drama category. The Hangover had a lot of people laughing (including me) and made a lot of money, so it's only fair that it won in the comedy category.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3799654;
    I don't know - if a drama had a lot of people crying and made a lot of money, it would be a no-brainer if it won in the drama category. The Hangover had a lot of people laughing (including me) and made a lot of money, so it's only fair that it won in the comedy category.
    Also, it was the best reviewed of the films in its category, at least of all the reviews I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    She actually designed that herself with Christian Siriano of Project Runway fame. She gets the blame.
    Ouch. Well, then to quote Christian, that was a hot mess! A good designer should know when to say NO to a client!

The Hollywood Foreign Press has always been a bit odd. The Golden Globes has become a big deal, but it's really a fairly small group of people. I don't expect most of the winners at this GG's to be winning at the Oscars. Monique probably has the best chance of all the actors.

On a completely shallow note, Colin Firth looked dreamy

Cameron Diaz looked awful. She needed more powder and anyone wearing a red dress should know that, if they wear red lipstick too, it needs to match the dress.

Nice to see Jeff Bridges finally get some recognition. Looks like the audience felt the same way. The acceptance speech was just sweet.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast