+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 317172737475767778798081828384 LastLast

Thread: Lost - season six (final)

Re: Lost - season six (final)

i don't know why anyone thought the plane pieces was part of the show in the first place

it was just backdrop while the credits rolled

jack died then we got the silent LOST

the end... i did see people analyzing that plane wreckage and i was dumfounded as to why

Networks always interject their stuff anyways, they work as partners with the show producers, so when stuff leaves the edit room the network people will watch it and say well go back and change such and such or add this etc

speaking of ABC, i did see GMA the next morning and they didn't even know what they were talking about and basically said everybody was dead the whole time.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg;3915035;
    i don't know why anyone thought the plane pieces was part of the show in the first place

the end... i did see people analyzing that plane wreckage and i was dumfounded as to why

Networks always interject their stuff anyways, they work as partners with the show producers, so when stuff leaves the edit room the network people will watch it and say well go back and change such and such or add this etc

speaking of ABC, i did see GMA the next morning and they didn't even know what they were talking about and basically said everybody was dead the whole time.
    Why? Why would we think it meant something? Because it's LOST! EVERYTHING means something!

Here’s my take, 72 hours, post finale start time : In the end Lost, I think, turned out to be a parable about human nature and those types of allegorical tales really are an acquired taste and aren’t for everyone and it really wasn’t apparent all along that that was the main thing we were watching.

One of the central parables, I think, that ties into faith and belief triumphing through experiential evidence, is an allegorical evolutionary journey of the soul told through Jack’s eyes. Jack starts out as a reluctant hero at best, really more of an anti-hero who accepts responsibility because his medical knowledge is needed on the island. And all he wants to do is return to his concrete world of logic and science.

And, as he’s longing for that return, he starts to encounter all this crazy turf warfare that goes on on that island between the others and the Dharma initiative, the Men in Black, Charles Widmore and Ben – there’s all this crazy desire to dominate the turf on that little island, kind of like, well, earth. Yet, as Jack evolves, he begins to care more about his island community than the does about himself -- but with all the distractions of endless war and a litany of scientific experiment (the sci fi stuff), Jack really doesn’t realize that his soul’s desire has shifted.

So Jack continues to jump at chances to return to the logical, orderly world he knows in which he, and the scientific knowledge that he’s familiar with are paramount and front and center. So as he’s focused on the wars and scientific experiments that hopefully will explain that which appears unexplainable, so are we.

And Jack continues to jump at every chance to get off the island but, when he finally does, he realizes that he left his heart and soul back with his community. So he returns, far less reliant on logic or science, he now wants only to best serve his community in a way in which he hopes will be intuitively revealed to him. And, in the end, he sacrifices himself for a cause that he has come to realize is greater than himself. He has turned from night into day, spiritually speaking, from the Jack that first crashed on the island. And, it is only through that spiritual evolution that we see his ultimate redemption. And we see it all through the opening and closing of Jack’s eye. And Jack’s eye is telling us to take our eyes off the distractions and look up (as in focus on what truly matters -- love and whatever spirituality means to each of us).

And, either that’s the parable that JJ Abrams, Damon Lindelof and Carleton Cuse always meant to tell or there will be a 3 part movie to answer our unanswered questions or I’ve had way too much coffee today – not sure which.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Haha...maybe all three? I really like your explaination and think that a lot of it makes sense. The story was definitely about Jack the entire time even though we may not have realized it. But as I look back more & more I see how much it was.

On a side note: I didn't realize Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones were on the island? ....."Men In Black"
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3914859;
    The idiots at ABC have issued a mea culpa. The final shot of the crash on the beach at the end of the show was just some old footage of the original Oceanic Crash and something the network "added," because they thought the ending needed "softening". Producers Cuse and Lindelhof knew nothing about it--the real show ended with the light streaming through the church doors. Just thought everyone would want to know that.
    BritLit, do you have a link for this? I'd like to read. Thanks!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3915490;
    On a side note: I didn't realize Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones were on the island? ....."Men In Black"
    Too much coffee moment, Juls!

Here's the story about the plane crash footage, Marlena:
    Lost Exclusive: ABC Sets the record straight about the series finale's plane crash images

You know those Oceanic 815 plane crash images that ran after Jack's (Matthew Fox) eye closed and the "Lost" logo appeared on our TV screens? Some "Lost" fans and TV critics have wondered if they were a last Easter egg from the producers, a clue meant to lead us to conclude that no one survived Oceanic 815's crash landing — and therefore everything we've seen over the last six years never really happened.

Well, ABC wants to clear the air: Those photographs were not part of the "Lost" story at all. The network added them to soften the transition from the moving ending of the series to the 11 p.m. news and never considered that it would confuse viewers about the actual ending of the show.

"The images shown during the end credits of the 'Lost' finale, which included shots of Oceanic 815 on a deserted beach, were not part of the final story but were a visual aid to allow the viewer to decompress before heading into the news," an ABC spokesperson wrote in an e-mail Tuesday.

That means, Losties, that we were not supposed to think that Christian Shepherd (John Terry) is a liar. What Christian told his son, when they were reunited at the church, should serve as guidance for our interpretation of the series' ending.

So let's review: Christian told Jack that he was dead and everyone else in the church was too — some had died before Jack, as we already knew, and some died long after. The sideways flashes then were a step in everyone's after-lives, a way to reconnect before moving on permanently. While there still may be unanswered questions related to that religious and spiritual conclusion to the "Lost" story, the photographs were really just a nostalgic, transitional touch added by ABC executives — and not executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

Love or hate it, that's the final answer.
    'Lost' exclusive: ABC sets the record straight about the series finale's plane crash images | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3914859;
    The idiots at ABC have issued a mea culpa. The final shot of the crash on the beach at the end of the show was just some old footage of the original Oceanic Crash and something the network "added," because they thought the ending needed "softening". Producers Cuse and Lindelhof knew nothing about it--the real show ended with the light streaming through the church doors. Just thought everyone would want to know that.
    Dang. That's a MAJOR mea culpa! And very good to know. That leaves at least one storyline I can stop pondering. THANK YOU for sharing!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg;3915035;

Because they showed it! Jack died then we got the silent LOST and then we got footage of an airplane crash.

I'm surprised more people didn't question it.

I really enjoyed the entire series of Lost. It was fun to try to figure out what was going on and what might happen. Sawyer was so lovely to look at too! The finale made me sad and I cried several times. I'll miss that crazy island.
    I'll have roast duck with the mango salsa.

Who is John Galt?

I just saw the last episode last night. Overall, I think it wrapped things up nicely. I had concluded early on that the island was way station or a sort of purgatory where some of the souls who died in the crash needed to find redemption before moving on. They didn't acknowledge that they were dead and were carrying a lot of baggage from their lives that had not been dealt with. When they were close to experiencing their awakening to their true fate, they were experiencing two different life outcomes at nearly the same time (like two different interconnected dimensions). These lives melded together and they awakened to the truth through certain triggers ie: the love between Sawyer/Juliet and Clare/Charlie. Jack's whole experience on the island with these people lasted in the last few seconds of his life, and that was shown by the opening and closing of his eyes.

I thought the last scene with the parts of the plane strewn about just showed that no one had lived through the crash and the whole experience on the island was the journey of Jack's soul from life to death.

+ Reply to Thread