+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384 LastLast

Thread: Lost - season six (final)

Re: Lost - season six (final)

Quote Originally Posted by mize77;3914510;
    Maybe everyone was the age they were on the island.
    I had asked about the discrepancy in Kate's clothing, which might be a similar idea. Outside the church she wore the black cocktail dress Desmond gave her. Inside the church she wore a green tank top, which may have been one of her island outfits.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet;3913465;
    I think this is a great point which highlights one of the keys to Lost, though I would not limit to just Buddism. I think the multi-religious themes of Lost were evident in the room of the church where Jack and Christian had their talk. I saw symbols of Buddism, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam in that room. There were likely other religions represented as well, which I overlooked.

Many of the after life / connected lives themes of the show were reflective of Hindu beliefs. As a Christian myself, perhaps the Christian themes were more evident to me than any of the others. There were obvious examples such as the backstory of Eko, and he name "Christian Sheppard". There were others that stood out to anyone familiar with Christian traditions, who may not have been to people of other religions -- the ceremony of drinking from the cup to pass on responsibility for the island used text of the communion ceremony, and Jack discovering the empty casket (tomb) and then being greeted by Christian and feeling disbelief that it was really him was straight from the Easter story.

And while I think there are representatives of each of the religions I've listed who are willing to hijack them and declare no room for gray, my knowledge of each says that at their core, each leaves room for trey, and interpretation.

Maybe that was one of the deeper, underlying themes of Lost -- the idea that regardless of what individuals call their religion, we're guided by the same being, and end up in the same place. When you consider the divisions that religion can create in the world today, I can see where the creators of Lost would want to get that kind of message out, and I'm glad that they did if that is their intent.
    Yes, I kept expecting them to say Drink this....in remembrance of me....

Excellent discussion, folks, and I now feel more at ease with the end and happier about it (not that I wasn't before)---it feels more thought out and not just a "happy every after" quickie as some were complaining. Which is fitting---the discussion for me has been a major part of what has made LOST the "LOST experience" and not just a TV show.

I was on Amazon checking out the price for the upcoming DVD set and saw this review. It's pretty much how I feel about the series and the finale (although I wouldn't say I'm bitterly disappointed).
    Amazon.com: Mr. Ryan C. O'riordan...'s review of Lost: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]

Lost really dropped the ball in season 6. Having now seen the series through to completion, I among many was bitterly disappointed with the series finale. The current package art tagline, "all the mysteries will be revealed" does not ring true as the show's wrap up acrimoniously avoids answering the mysteries long established and left unexplained and instead cops out with an ending that fans themselves had actually bettered, in the ongoing speculation over the relevance of the "sideways" theme of the final season.

LOST is far from a perfect show. Like many, its first season is largely considered to be its strongest and from an accessibility point, this is true. Season 2 begins to wane in quality of the story with unnecessary flashbacks which reiterate the first season stories, and superfluous storylines like Sawyer and Hurley's quest for a noise-making treefrog.

Season 3 sees the show begin to rev up again, with a far more balanced year of revelation vs filler and finally, a packed season finale with genuine "WTF!" moments...

Season 4 and 5 I consider to be the best of the show. Season 4 establishes flashing forward rather than back to characters' lives, and the introduction of compelling new characters on the island including Faraday, Charlotte and Miles. Season 5 continues the brilliance of 4 but ups the ante now crossing time and space itself, with the ensemble cast divided in completely separate positions. This year features the show's 100th episode, and the remaining episodes rev up to the last annoyingly brilliant cliffhanger.

So we come to season 6. The heights of the last 2 years and elaboration of the mythology, coupled with regularly returning plot holes like Walt and DHARMA led me to have huge expectations. Yet sadly, LOST season 6 suffers from what you might call "trilogy-itus" so common in film series' as the last part cannot match the brilliance of what came before. Conclusions, when offered, are more logical and predictable than outstanding and the series mostly suffers from three different groups of people sitting around while not actually doing anything significant.

The ending encourages you to accept their denial of answering questions, of it being irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. But it doesn't sell after 6 years of waiting for the mysteries to make sense. Up to a point, Lost is an incredibly intelligent show, that for a time demanded complete concentration and recollection on behalf of its captive audience.
    But 'The End' doesn't deliver, and fans are left emotionally rewarded with cheap reunions, but intellectually disappointed. The real hook of the show is itself 'lost' along the way.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

See, I don't think we were intellectually disappointed at all!!! In fact, I think my intellect was heightened! They made me see things about love and death in the last episode that I hadn't before and I asked questions of my own mortality. Now what kind of TV show does that?!?! Bravo Lost!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3914755;
    I was on Amazon checking out the price for the upcoming DVD set and saw this review. It's pretty much how I feel about the series and the finale (although I wouldn't say I'm bitterly disappointed).
    Amazon.com: Mr. Ryan C. O'riordan...'s review of Lost: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
    I really disagree with the critique for two different reasons. First, the writer complains about outcomes being too logical making them predictable. To me, that's good writing. It shows the writers had an idea of the direction they were taking, and led us there. Sure, twists and surprises are exciting. But if they are TOO predictable, then I think the viewer is left frustrated, because what happened was so illogical that it never could have been guessed. To me, that's like a mystery novel where the author doesn't bother to share clues with the reader. As detailed and analytical as viewers of Lost have been in viewing ... and researching the show, I think that some degree of predictability coming from logic is inevitable.

Second, I take issue with the perceived lack of answers. As has been pointed out in this thread, Lost relied a great deal on shades of gray. To me, definitive answers would have been a big let down. We may THINK we want them, but imagine how anti-climatic it would be if we got them. Everyone had their ideas of what things meant. If answers were given definitively rather than being eluded to, then anyone with a different vision would be very dissapointed. The way it was done, we got the answers, but still got enough shades of gray that 3 days after the finale aired, it's still interesting to discuss what we all think it meant.

The idiots at ABC have issued a mea culpa. The final shot of the crash on the beach at the end of the show was just some old footage of the original Oceanic Crash and something the network "added," because they thought the ending needed "softening". Producers Cuse and Lindelhof knew nothing about it--the real show ended with the light streaming through the church doors. Just thought everyone would want to know that.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

That's kind of funny. I wouldn't have thought the network was authorized to make a change like that. I thought the closing of Jack's eyes also followed the church door light.

Sorry, you're right--the eye closing was the last scene. At least now we don't have to try to figure out whether it was the Oceanic plane or the Ajira plane on the beach... I'm surprised the network could do that, too. From what I read, they just sort of threw it in last minute while the closing credits ran; I'm sure the producers didn't know about it until it aired.
    Last edited by BritLit; 05-26-2010 at 03:53 PM.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, that makes sense! We've been told over and over that the eye closing was meant to bookend the story with Jack's eye opening in the jungle at the start....so I was kind of vaguely wondering why the wreckage was there. And yeah, they are allowed to do that and not even TELL them? They must have been stunned when they saw the show....

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Yeah, thats not cool at all! It had all of us questioning it. I don't think the ABC execs really get how the fans pick apart every single second of the show Good to know though! Thanks Britlit!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

+ Reply to Thread