+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 84 FirstFirst ... 286869707172737475767778798081828384 LastLast

Thread: Lost - season six (final)

Re: Lost - season six (final)

At the end of the first season, I really thought we would get straight, real answers from the show. By the end of the second season, I realized that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for the show to answer all of my questions. When the third season finally came on, I decided to settle in and "Go for the ride!"

Once I let go of the idea that the writers had to answer every question for me, I started to truly enjoy this show in a different way. I thought about the parallels to literature and mythology, and I discussed things I saw/thought with my friends. I finally realized that this show was fun, imaginative, and magical in a way I was not used to seeing on my television screen.

When this final season started, I was excited to watch the connections and alternate story lines for my favorite characters. When I started watching The End, I had no expectations of my questions being answered. Because of this, I was able to truly enjoy the way the entire show, and especially the last season, came Full Circle. I thought the ending was beautiful, and instead of finding the writers lazy, I think they were brilliant!

I enjoyed being challenged by this show, and although I agree with my husband that the writers did not truly know where they were headed in the first season, that fact did not bother me at all. Instead, I felt as though I was part of the experience with them. I will miss watching my favorite show, but I am thrilled with the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom;3912225;
    At the end of the first season, I really thought we would get straight, real answers from the show. By the end of the second season, I realized that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for the show to answer all of my questions. When the third season finally came on, I decided to settle in and "Go for the ride!"

Once I let go of the idea that the writers had to answer every question for me, I started to truly enjoy this show in a different way. I thought about the parallels to literature and mythology, and I discussed things I saw/thought with my friends. I finally realized that this show was fun, imaginative, and magical in a way I was not used to seeing on my television screen.

When this final season started, I was excited to watch the connections and alternate story lines for my favorite characters. When I started watching The End, I had no expectations of my questions being answered. Because of this, I was able to truly enjoy the way the entire show, and especially the last season, came Full Circle. I thought the ending was beautiful, and instead of finding the writers lazy, I think they were brilliant!

I enjoyed being challenged by this show, and although I agree with my husband that the writers did not truly know where they were headed in the first season, that fact did not bother me at all. Instead, I felt as though I was part of the experience with them. I will miss watching my favorite show, but I am thrilled with the ending.

Its like you put the words that were in my brain in order .

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Thank you SO much 2boysmom for your post! You said how I feel perfectly. I too was just "along for the ride" and I think was able to enjoy it so much more because of that. I didn't need every question answered....I just wanted a great show and that is what we got. I hope in time more people will see it this way and be able to let go of the unanswered questions and "lazyness" and just see LOST for what it was....an amazing TV show!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3912442;
    Thank you SO much 2boysmom for your post! You said how I feel perfectly. I too was just "along for the ride" and I think was able to enjoy it so much more because of that. I didn't need every question answered....I just wanted a great show and that is what we got. I hope in time more people will see it this way and be able to let go of the unanswered questions and "lazyness" and just see LOST for what it was....an amazing TV show!
    I'm with you on this. In fact, I stopped trying to solve all the mysteries of the island sometime during S3. I realized it was fruitless and let it go.

I really enjoyed the finale. I posted earlier that it became very clear for me during the pre-finale intereviews that the show is first and foremost a story about people - not the mysteries of the island. Even though the main characters die in the end, it was nice to them with their loved ones - and with each other.

It was a very satisfying ending in this regard.

Having said this, I think the show "wrapped" too soon. I would like to have seen each story line reconciled with what the finale showed. If it's true that they are in some sort or purgatory or sideways world until they are "ready" to move on, I would like to have seen what each of them learned about themselves to justify movement beyond purgatory.

For example, I would like to have seen Kate come to some sort of spiritual awareness about what she's done in her life prior to the island before being given a pass to move on.

As it is, none of the characters seemed to have experienced any sort of moral redemption. In fact, all they've done since crashing is fight for survival, fall in love (or relove), support each other, and work through differences (e.g. Ben and John). I guess maybe that was enough???

Same as the rest of us???

Now that I think of it, the show may very well be a simple parable reminding us about what is really important in life, i.e. each other. (I think I like this theory).

#####

Regardless, they could have gotten one more season out of all this to bring the characters full circle - we see it for Jack, I suppose, but I guess that is all the writers wanted us to see. And, for the others, the fact that they congretated in the church is sufficient to inform us that they, too, had gone full circle (Ben = TBD).

C'est la vie. Whether they wrapped up the stories tightly or loosely is irrelevant. The ending was perfect for me...and very, very satisfying. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I am happy with it.

#####
    Last edited by Jexter; 05-25-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

I agree that we could have used one more season.....there was far too much to fit into one season in order to satisfy everyone with the ending. But since we don't have that....I'll take what we got and love it!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

I rewatched the last hour last night (hubby fell asleep during the actual airing) and I noticed that Jin/Sun did not have a baby at the church. The only baby there was Aaron.

if people start to disect who was/was not in the church and why, we will be in the same quandry as before

just let go

enjoy all the great entertainment we've gotten over the years

i'm seeing long posts on other sites where people are bitching about C/D being bad writers and whatnot... c'mon lets be serious... like i said in a previous post, all the anger your seeing is just people who deep down are just mad that this show is over

FORT Regular

Re: Miss Scarlet

You expressed some of the thoughts I had--the way they were in the chapel was the way they were on the island. Maybe Jack's sideways life contained a son because that was an unfulfilled desire of his real life. Having a loving relationship with his sister was another. Perhaps Sawyer wanted his life to mean something good, and that's why he was on the right side of the law in his sideways. And in the sideways, Desmond got the relationship he wanted with Penny's father. And he still got Penny. And as Miss Scarlet said, Richard would want to be with his wife. I like the way the writers had Richard's hair start to turn gray so we would know that he was mortal and could end his existence.

In the end, the best parts of their real lives--the relationships that had touched them the most deeply--were what they could take with them into the afterlife.
    Not all Christians believe in purgatory, but one thing we all want is to take the people we love the most into a blissful eternity with us.

I have known WWII vets (and others from other wars) who got together with the people in their units for 50 years after the war. That day-to-day struggle to survive by depending on one another formed a tremendous bond between them. Maybe that kind of connection was behind the reunion of the Losties before they could move on. That these people were so important to each other that they all needed/wanted to be together in eternity.

Does anyone else ever think that we supposedly intelligent people are way too involved in this stuff???

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grapenuts;3912584;
    I rewatched the last hour last night (hubby fell asleep during the actual airing) and I noticed that Jin/Sun did not have a baby at the church. The only baby there was Aaron.
    Then I am totally satisfied with the ending as-is.

I could be a bit picky about the point that Aaron should have been at least a toddler. But I can also reconcile that with the thought that Claire deserved to be able to raise her baby as reward for a life well lived.

Also, I totally love and agree with what you said, 2BoysMom. Ditto that big time.

Quote Originally Posted by mize77;3912778;
    I have known WWII vets (and others from other wars) who got together with the people in their units for 50 years after the war. That day-to-day struggle to survive by depending on one another formed a tremendous bond between them. Maybe that kind of connection was behind the reunion of the Losties before they could move on.
    The war vet scenario is exactly what I was thinking about the next morning and wondered if that was what they tried to create, in a different kind of setting. Because actually much of the plot of Lost was war.

+ Reply to Thread