+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 84 FirstFirst ... 256566676869707172737475767778798081828384 LastLast

Thread: Lost - season six (final)

Re: Lost - season six (final)

Cop-out... Disappointment... Cheated... all words out of my mouth in the past 13.5 hours. I think the writers knew from the beginning they wanted the concept to be purgatory, but when people threw it out there after the beginning of season 1, they had to reinvent the concept and figure out another way to be able to say it wasn't purgatory, but still run with their original concept. To have the sideways world be purgatory left me feeling cheated. The episode itself was great... The reunions in the sideways world left the hairs on my arm standing straight up - however, some were a little predictable. And then there's Jack's son... I don't think anything on a tv show has ever irritated me such as Jack's son. I started complaining about this last night in the chatroom I was in but I don't think my points were fully understood. All family ties carried over the alternate timeline - Jack/Claire, Sayid/his brother, Danielle/Alex, and Ben/Roger... So you would assume that everyone was still related in the sideways world that was related in the main timeline. Now you have Jack's son... WITH JULIET!!! But they didn't have a child in our real timeline. I would have made more sense to me if Sarah had been the mom and then we would have been told that the child Sarah carried when we saw her pregnant was really Jack's.

What I did like was everything from the flash sideways EXCEPT the last five minutes. I loved the fact that everyone had their happy ending without needing the island like they did in our main storyline. Claire and Jack are loving siblings, Claire and Charlie will be a family with Aaron, Juliet will be with Sawyer, Jin and Sun will live to take care of their daughter, Hurley is happy with Libby and has good luck, Locke can walk and has Helen, Desmond's with Penny, etc. It made me realize that the only reason our friends found any sort of peace or happiness was because of the island but also made me wonder what their lives would have been had Jacob never interfered. I originally thought that the sideways is what that was - but now that it's purgatory, of course it's going to be everyone's happy life because they made it.

Overall, 2 hours 20 minutes of GREAT tv... 10 minutes of total crappy copout bullcrap!

Quote Originally Posted by brklyn825;3911498;
    Cop-out... Disappointment... Cheated... all words out of my mouth in the past 13.5 hours. I think the writers knew from the beginning they wanted the concept to be purgatory, but when people threw it out there after the beginning of season 1, they had to reinvent the concept and figure out another way to be able to say it wasn't purgatory, but still run with their original concept. To have the sideways world be purgatory left me feeling cheated. The episode itself was great... The reunions in the sideways world left the hairs on my arm standing straight up - however, some were a little predictable. And then there's Jack's son... I don't think anything on a tv show has ever irritated me such as Jack's son. I started complaining about this last night in the chatroom I was in but I don't think my points were fully understood. All family ties carried over the alternate timeline - Jack/Claire, Sayid/his brother, Danielle/Alex, and Ben/Roger... So you would assume that everyone was still related in the sideways world that was related in the main timeline. Now you have Jack's son... WITH JULIET!!! But they didn't have a child in our real timeline. I would have made more sense to me if Sarah had been the mom and then we would have been told that the child Sarah carried when we saw her pregnant was really Jack's.

What I did like was everything from the flash sideways EXCEPT the last five minutes. I loved the fact that everyone had their happy ending without needing the island like they did in our main storyline. Claire and Jack are loving siblings, Claire and Charlie will be a family with Aaron, Juliet will be with Sawyer, Jin and Sun will live to take care of their daughter, Hurley is happy with Libby and has good luck, Locke can walk and has Helen, Desmond's with Penny, etc. It made me realize that the only reason our friends found any sort of peace or happiness was because of the island but also made me wonder what their lives would have been had Jacob never interfered. I originally thought that the sideways is what that was - but now that it's purgatory, of course it's going to be everyone's happy life because they made it.

Overall, 2 hours 20 minutes of GREAT tv... 10 minutes of total crappy copout bullcrap!
    that last 10 minutes was actually a very moving & powerful scene, arguably the best part , christian laid everything out to jack (us), everybody gathered together with their loved ones, then they moved on into the light

the show wasn't bad, the problem i had was the storytelling for the "island" portion

i just didn't like how it was constructed

i'd like to see that Hurley island time spent they need to make that happen, some webisodes or something

i wonder what became of Ana lucia, she's essentially stuck in purgatory...

Ben didn't go in, they could have somehow included Alex, she's in purgatory too with an obvious bond there

I think the church was where they all met, when each of them died after living out their lives, to welcome that person to move on to whatever was next. I don't believe in such a thing as Purgatory, so that was not what was represented to me. The show's continuing themes about many different spiritual belief systems also pointed my in that direction. Christian's statement to Jack about some dying before and some after him, as well a Ben and Hurley's conversation about there time as #1 and #2, confirmed my believe in the theme that time is not linear, but bendable, which is why they could all appear to be the age they were as remembered by the person who was passing on. For me, the show allowed us some leeway to fashion our own interpretation of it all, which is what they have done from the start. I loved it from day 1 to the end.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

it could be a warehouse instead of a church it still would be purgatory

it's a rendezvous point

i just think they used a church kinda symbolizing them all going to their funerals

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg;3911532;
    i wonder what became of Ana lucia, she's essentially stuck in purgatory...

Ben didn't go in, they could have somehow included Alex, she's in purgatory too with an obvious bond there
    I seem to remember Desmond saying, when Hurley saw Ana Lucia being paid off, that she wasn't ready or something to that affect. Similar to what was said about Farraday.

I understand why Ben didnt go into the church but yeah were the heck was Alex and Russo?

yeah i remember that's why i brought her up

i don't know what your referrring to about faraday though... he's the one that helped desmond let go

funny how i never caught the "you can let go now" from rose until yesterday

FORT Fan

Overall I like the emotional ending to the series and the character's stories. I also think that what happened on the island was real, and just sideways world was Limbo.

In my opinion the people who left to go into the Light at the end were those people who shared the "Live together experience" with each other. So we have the passengers from the front of the plane, except for Michael and Walt as Michael had abandoned the rest on the island. Libby and Bernard joined with the "Live together" people as did Desmond and Juliet. Farraday, Ana Lucia, Alex, Rousseau, Miles, Richard (I'm going on memory here so hope all these folks weren't in the church!) were not part of the "Live together group, though they did interact with them, so they did not go into the Light.

Remember that Christian says that they created the place to join up because of how important the shared experience was for them. Therefore only those who truly had the shared experience go into the Light together (though Penny is a stretch - though she is there because of Desmond). Ben had a foot in different groups. Even though he ultimately becomes a protector of the island as Hurley's number 2, he didn't really share the same experience as the "Live together" group. His experience was more with Alex and the Dharma people.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

A couple thoughts.

Movies. Maybe we'll get some movies out of this, kinda like they did with Twin Peaks and the Picard version of Star Trek. Maybe that will include some further explanations and also maybe some things like Hurley & Ben's experiences as the island protectors, etc.

I'm good with the explanation that they all ended up together in the church because their time on the island was the most important in their lives. But Jin & Sun's baby and Aaron should have then been OLDER.

Thinking along those lines, I'm trying to remember. There's 1) ACTUAL on-island happenings (first season plus), 2) Actual off-island happenings (Kate raising Aaron, Sayid reuniting with Nadia, Jack becoming a drunk and wanting to go back, etc); 3) Sideways-time (Jack has a son with Juliet, Daniel Faraday is a musician, Sawyer is a cop).

I know that Aaron was a child in #2 - actual off-island happenings. But I can't remember when Sun & Jin's daughter was born

Following that logic, Aaron should have been at least a child in the church. And if S&J's daughter was born in #2, so should she have. If S&J's daughter was only born in #3, then she shouldn't exist at all, just like Jack's son.

I try not to get into too much of this kind of thinking with what is, obviously, FICTION - it's not real and therefore not bound by logic but by that which is WRITTEN TO BE. But I guess I am emotionally invested in all things LOST to want the end to make sense.

I'm not sure what to say. I liked the ending as far as the sideways stories go, but I feel let down re: the Island life. Like the Other & Dharma, Walt & the other kids that were taken.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3911581;
    A couple thoughts.

Movies. Maybe we'll get some movies out of this, kinda like they did with Twin Peaks and the Picard version of Star Trek. Maybe that will include some further explanations and also maybe some things like Hurley & Ben's experiences as the island protectors, etc.

I'm good with the explanation that they all ended up together in the church because their time on the island was the most important in their lives. But Jin & Sun's baby and Aaron should have then been OLDER.

Thinking along those lines, I'm trying to remember. There's 1) ACTUAL on-island happenings (first season plus), 2) Actual off-island happenings (Kate raising Aaron, Sayid reuniting with Nadia, Jack becoming a drunk and wanting to go back, etc); 3) Sideways-time (Jack has a son with Juliet, Daniel Faraday is a musician, Sawyer is a cop).

I know that Aaron was a child in #2 - actual off-island happenings. But I can't remember when Sun & Jin's daughter was born

Following that logic, Aaron should have been at least a child in the church. And if S&J's daughter was born in #2, so should she have. If S&J's daughter was only born in #3, then she shouldn't exist at all, just like Jack's son.

I try not to get into too much of this kind of thinking with what is, obviously, FICTION - it's not real and therefore not bound by logic but by that which is WRITTEN TO BE. But I guess I am emotionally invested in all things LOST to want the end to make sense.
    Not saying this is right - just throwing it out there for consideration. When they all reunited at the end, they all looked like they did on the island. Some died before Jack and some after - but they all looked like they did on the island - because that was the time period they decided was important and when they wanted to come back together. So, with regard to Aaron - Charlie died when he was just a baby. So, regardless of what age Aaron was when he died - if they go back to the time on the island when Charlie was alive, Aaron would forever be a baby (which is Claire's, Charlie's and Aaron's happy time). I guess I would say the same for Sun, Jin and their daughter - it's not about when they actually died, its about the time period chosen to go back to.

+ Reply to Thread