+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ... 246465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost - season six (final)

Re: Lost - season six (final)

There were some things I liked about the ending, but what could have been a tight and edgy ending turned out (from a writing standpoint) sloppy, flabby, and sell-out sappy. With a bit more effort in developing the mythology, the explosion at the end of Season 5 could have been tied in better with the "sideways" world, and the "awakenings" could have established the sans-crash reality. But instead, the writers went with cliché.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I wanted a happy ending and that's what I got so I'm happy about that part. I wish it could have been different and they could still be happy without death but I don't know how they possibly could have done that. I cried through all the reunion scenes... they were so touching. Especially Juliet and Sawyer. I'm still confused as to why Juliet, after death, said "it worked". Since the sideways life was life after death, what worked? Someone else wanted to understand more about Dogan ... me too. What was his purpose? Something similar to Richard, I suppose, where he came to the island and Jacob gave him that job. I'm not sure. There were quite a few missing at the church but I do remember that Desmond told Eloise (when she asked if he was taking her son), that it wasn't his time. Meaning, he may join the group later along with Charlotte, Miles, etc. This "time" was just for the original group to rejoin for the afterlife. I agree with other poster that there are so many questions still to answer but I'm still happy with my happy ending.

I am a late comer to the show. I only watched it a couple of times and then got in this odd mood last night to get into the show. I watched the 2 hour recap and then the finale. I know I missed a lot, but I really loved it. I will be purchasing the box set when it is released in August and watching all of it. If I had been a long time fan last night, I think I would have really LOST it. (Pardon the pun.)

I see that their are some posters who are not too happy with the ending. I probably don't have enought background to evaluate it properly, but I really enjoyed it. I cried so much! It truly put me in a spiritual place and really made me lose a little fear of death. That's huge.

Question: When they were in the church together, why were there not any other people who were dead from their respective lives except for Jack's dad? Wouldn't you expect to see good friends, family members who were not on the island, but had died. It seemed to say that the only important people in their lives that they would go into eternity with were the survivors on the island.

I liked the theme of asking for help from others, providing help to others and then connecting with others. It seemed that was what occurred with all of the passengers as they found each other. The scene in front of the snack machine was hot IMO. LOL.

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3911380;
    There were some things I liked about the ending, but what could have been a tight and edgy ending turned out (from a writing standpoint) sloppy, flabby, and sell-out sappy. With a bit more effort in developing the mythology, the explosion at the end of Season 5 could have been tied in better with the "sideways" world, and the "awakenings" could have established the sans-crash reality. But instead, the writers went with cliché.
    Thank YOU! I was trying to find the words to describe why i wasnt completely happy with last nite's finale and i think you explained it perfectly. I did like some parts and i was happy everybody was reunited with their island love but idk.....i was just expecting more.

FYI--did anyone else notice that Jack didn't say the latin prayer before he gave the bottle to Hurley? Just little details things like that bothered me.

Well for such a tight show that was edgy and different, that had me captivated for 5 seasons, I have to say I was kind of disappointed. The end was sappy and romantic and was just a clever way of putting Bobby Ewing in that shower on Dallas.
    Everyone "lives" happily ever after and is paired up like some soap opera.
    Sorry, I thought it was a disappointment to end it like that. But I guess there weren't many other ways to end it.
    I am sooo thankful to find out I'm not the only person who felt this way. I was nervous to come on these boards because i figured everybody would be happy with the ending and maybe i was just being cynical. Thanxs guys, now i dont feel so guilty for not fully enjoying the ending.

well my thoughts, i wasnt particularly satisfied with finale

the love part of the story was to be expected, but the goings on on the island w/ Jack vs Bob etc was nonsense

desmond goes in the hole, puls a stone out of a hole

the island starts to destruct

bob turns back mortal

jack gets busted in the head with a stone then later stabbed (so much for those special jacob powers)

kate shoots bob

jack passes the torch (a job he held for what? a couple hours?) to hurley in a quick bootleg ceremony by having hinm drink some dirty water out of an old water bottle (no incantation either)

hurley is allegedly the protector and makes ben his #2 (i guess they spent some unsspecified time on the island after that...well until it sinks)

jack plugs the hole back, the light comes back on and the water flows he makes it out the hole and later dies

meanwhile on hydra island Lapidus, Richard (who is now aging), Miles, Kate, James, Claire patches up a plane with some duct tape, fired it up and took off in the plane (it apparently has an unlimited fuel supply too)

the only thing i wanted was to see what was the point of all this. If all the Losties would have stayed off the island they would have been alive...why'd they go back...i didn't see them define a purpose

i thought bringing 'comma, sticks' back for Sayid was a joke,i understand the island connection. but wasn't his true love Nadia?

i love the show as a whole and not really knocking it, i think D & C painted themselves into a corner by setting and end date

i won't be buy Season 6 either, beacuse its kinda subpar now that i see the whole thing

i really should start proofreading my post... excuse the grammar and spelling errors, lol

anyways just wanted to add i loved the Target commercials, they were the highlight of the whole thing

the dogs coming to lay down next to jack

and the sun/jin moments cracked me up

LG.

I didn't love or hate the finale. It was interesting. I agree that the "island" events all happened, including the Oceanic 6 (plus Desmond) escaping and then returning. This season's sideways is some type of purgatory, and some of the folks in that funky church don't die until long after Jack died, which was after getting flushed out of the giant glowing toilet of light.

I was cracking myself up last night that they set up a perfect spin-off series for Hurley, Ben, and a recurring role for Desmond: Fantasy Island 2: Lost Island. Hurley is Mr. Rourke - let's get him some nice island vehicle with "rich Corinthian leather". He helps people resolve their deepest issues while they spend time on this mysterious island. Ben is No 2, so he gets Tatoo's role in assisting Hurley in helping Island visitors resolve their issues. The Pilot episode involves getting Desmond off the island so he can get back to his life with Penny and baby Charlie. Des and Penny have a happy life on their houseboat, shuttling people back and forth to the island - fabulous guest stars like Charo. Now that Ben is working for Hurley (and Widmore is dead), Ben stops trying to kill Penny (except during sweeps week, when he reverts to evil old Ben and tries to take out Penny and Des, but Hurley makes a rule and Des is safe - how else would we get our weekly island guests). I know it would never happen, but it cracked me up to think about it.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3911380;
    Well put. I feel like I enjoyed the finale on a superficial level, like I was handed a lollypop and patted on the head. It felt manipulative to see all the happy reunions with a swell of music. When Sun and Jin relived their relationship, birth of their daughter, and their death together it was amazing to think that they could remember it but they had overcome it somehow, they could go on and live their lives. To learn that it was just a gimmick for purgatory cheapened that. Why would Sayid spend purgatory fleeing gangsters, why give Jack a son, why put Locke back in a wheelchair? The answer is, of course, to fool us until the finale. Whoopee.

If I understand it right, Desmond was seeing into the afterlife then?

I wouldn't be so annoyed if it weren't for the constant back-patting we put up with from the writers of this show for the past 6 years. They knew the ending from the very beginning - well, I'm guessing all that means is they knew they were going to end with Jack closing his eyes under the bamboo. (By the way, I like how they threw in a couple of episodes ago that "remember when you woke up in the bamboo? The special secret place is just beyond that" so we wouldn't question Jack stumbling out of the magic cave into the bamboo forest.)

They pretty much lost me when they introduced the Jacob/MIB dichotomy. MIB seemed to change his goal a bunch of times in the past few episodes. Get off the island! Destroy the island! Kill ruthlessly! Throw Desmond down a well and have Sayid kill him! Wait, we need Desmond! Etc.

And like someone said, Juliet's death seemed significant because she was the one who told Miles that "it worked." Um, writers...that was only a season ago, why did you abandon that plotlilne?

About the final shot of the plane crash, I thought it might be Lapidus's plane only because wasn't there a moment when they watched most of the plane get washed away sometime in the first season?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg;3911459;
    the dogs coming to lay down next to jack
    Why wasn't Vincent in the church?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3911472;

Why wasn't Vincent in the church?
    because he's still alive or he went over to dog purgatory waiting for lassie

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

After digesting it for a while, I think I really liked the outcome. No, it didn't answer everything and, yes, I'm ticked that sideways universe ended up being purgatory when I'd speculated from the beginning that the actual island was but I'm okay with that. I'd originally wanted the sideways universe to be the "actual" universe since they all seemed to have better lives, so I'm happy that they were somewhat able to live those lives, even if it was only "pretend" until they moved on. In the end, the people who mattered most to each other were all reunited and together. Watching Claire & Charlie reunite, Sun & Jin remember, Sawyer & Juliet were real tear-jerkers!!

I loved how the Church encompassed all faiths within its walls. So, for me, the show didn't end up being religion versus science but just belief versus science and I'm okay with that. If it had been the former, then I would've hated it.

All in all, I liked it. There's no way to please everyone and/or answer all questions, so I'll take what they gave us and be happy with it. What matters most is that, in the end, they all had smiles on their faces, even Jack as he lay dying on the island. And, maybe someday, Ben will forgive himself for what he did and will walk into the Church.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread