+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Feet Under - "Everyone Leaves" (5/4/03)

FORT Fogey

Six Feet Under - "Everyone Leaves" (5/4/03)

We open on an idyllic scene where a family picnic is taking place in a park and Keith's great aunt Jeanette gets stung by a bee. Unfortunately, she is highly allergic and dies before any help arrives. No one has even thought to pull the stinger out which might have helped.

Vanessa has gone from deeply depressed to highly charged up, and surprises Rico with her restored sexuality and her desire to suddenly take dance classes. He seems very pleased to see his wife restored to him, but never questions her remarkably quick turnabout. Eventually she collapses and we all realize along with Rico that something is terribly wrong here.

Meanwhile, Keith and David drive down to the Aunt's funeral and discuss their changing relationship. Keith doesn't seem to be on the same track as David anymore and is not as enamored of David as he once was.

Upon arriving at their destination they are greeted with the usual hostility from Keith's father who has never been able to come to terms with his son's homosexuality. Here is a man who cannot ever admit to being wrong, or being abusive to his own children.

After Nate has consoled a bereaved widower in the funeral chapel, he has a breakdown in the kitchen and we suspect it's some sort of foreshadowing of his own marriage.

A new, relaxed Lisa is getting ready to visit her sister in Santa Cruz and doesn't seem as overwrought as she used to be. She is happy to leave Nate in charge and they have a sweet farewell. Nate suddenly is thrust into the role of primary caretaker and finds himself in the Park with Maya and he calls Lisa because he misses her.

Brenda and Billy have been lapsing into an intimate relationship and Billy takes advantage of the situation which causes Brenda to flee from his apartment. She ends up at Nate's house and once again the chemistry between them is enormous and after a kiss she departs quickly and checks into a motel.

Ruth has finally realized that Arthur is emotionally stunted and distances herself from him. When Claire turns to her mother for solace after she and Russell have a confrontation about his infidelity with Olivier, she and her mother suddenly find a common bond as women and for once Claire allows herself to be comforted.

The ending is a series of montages. Vanessa finally drifts off into a deep sleep. Claire comes to her mother's room and covers her up and curls up in her bed. Nate tries to call Lisa and cannot reach her. He is very worried and lies down next to his baby. Arthur is back in his lonely shell as he turns out the light in his room.

Many changes in all of these lives are about to take place.

FORT Fogey
    Great post, CG!

Vanessa has gone from deeply depressed to highly charged up, and surprises Rico with her restored sexuality and her desire to suddenly take dance classes. He seems very pleased to see his wife restored to him, but never questions her remarkably quick turnabout. Eventually she collapses and we all realize along with Rico that something is terribly wrong here.
    What kinds of meds was she given? Her condition on the dancefloor looked like she had taken ecstasy and gone into dehydration. I know jack about anti-depressants so I'll research if this is a side-effect. I thought the camerawork that showed her perspective was excellent.

Upon arriving at their destination they are greeted with the usual hostility from Keith's father who has never been able to come to terms with his son's homosexuality. Here is a man who cannot ever admit to being wrong, or being abusive to his own children.

Keith's father is a horrible man. However, was Keith correct in approaching him from a therapeutic angle? The same language that's used in Keith's one-on-one therapy surely isn't the method to deal with someone who hasn't attendend therapy. Is it?

Brenda and Billy have been lapsing into an intimate relationship and Billy takes advantage of the situation which causes Brenda to flee from his apartment.

I saw this coming last week but I only thought it was my own sick mind.

When Claire turns to her mother for solace after she and Russell have a confrontation about his infidelity with Olivier...
    Well that answered that question about what went on. I think Claire and the actress who plays her are excellent. But I have not liked Claire all season until she stood up for herself and told Russell it's over. Even her "whatever" attitude disappeared when she was talking to Ruth.

This was a great episode. The sad thing is they're building up for season finale, I can't believe that we're there already!!

I'm glad Keith confronted his dad. It seems like he's realizing things about himself and that yesterday was definitely a huge breakthrough for him...confronting the very same man who has stepped on him & abused him for years must have been a really tough thing to do.....
    Now he has to run after DAve...or is Dave gonna go home with the choir boy finally? I don't think they will make a couple that's interesting enough though..... They're both kind of one of a kind.

Wonder where Lisa has disappeared to? Think she jumped in the ocean? Was she kidnapped by highway robbers? Did she have a car accident? I mean...yeah sure I wanted her and Nate to break up but didnt want her DEAD..... she probably will turn up dead maybe...

Think Ruth is over the crush on Arthur? Wonder when Kathy Bates will turn up again.... seems like Ruth has learned a lot about herself in the absence of her & I can't wait to see what possibilities may open if she comes back into the picture...

Wow....there was a lot going on last night.... it was awesome.
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Arthur is going back to the planet that he came from! Talk about Lost In Space!!!

I was proud of Claire for not letting her boyfriend blackmail her with his self-threats!!! VERY STRONG!!!

David needs to become truer to himself and stop letting Keith run all over him. He sells himself out by becoming
    whatever Keith decides he wants at the moment. David gets no respect from that man. David reminds me of an emotionally beat-down woman!

Ruth, Ruth, Ruth.........truly adrift on an ocean........

Alas, Poor Nate........realizes too much, too little, too late......so it would seem.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 05-06-2003 at 08:07 PM.

that was a very short & sweet summary of 6 feet lol, I'm impressed!

Maybe David WILL be happier with his choir buddy after all? We know there's been some chemistry going on there ....
    After all ... how much more abuse can he take from Keith (I like Keith, but he has problems to deal with.... I think Dave needs to get out)
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    GREAT episode! Finally got to see it this evening.

Billy just CREEPS the hell out of me.

I can't believe we are only 3 episodes away from it being over.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Wow....This really was a great episode. CaliGirl that was an excellent summary!! I agree with Wyndemere .......it sure seems to me as though Lisa is going to turn up dead. I also really wanted them to break up but not for her to die!
    I just can't believe how fast the season on HBO goes by. We wait sooooo long for each new season and it's over in the blink of an eye. I ALWAYS have 6 feet withdrawal. I have been a fan since episode 1 year 1. Just a few more episodes....bummer.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Since I got into watching Six Feet Under ONLY last season.....does anyone know if any of the video stores carry the series so that I can see what all I've missed??? :

Now I'm hopelessly hooked, and loving it! How could a season go so quickly? I'd kill for a marathon of the entire series, something I'm sure I'll never see.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by prhoshay
    does anyone know if any of the video stores carry the series so that I can see what all I've missed??? :

Now I'm hopelessly hooked, and loving it! How could a season go so quickly? I'd kill for a marathon of the entire series, something I'm sure I'll never see.
    Fear not! Season One is readily available on DVD. I'm sure Season Two will be out quicker than Olivier can seduce another character.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Yeah, try Blockbuster Prh. I've seen Sopranos seasons there, so I'm sure you'll have no problem.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast