+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: "V" on ABC

Re: "V" on ABC

Well, I've only been watching for 5 minutes and already I can say... Thank God for advances in technology, special effects and cgi! Holy 80s, Batman!

The real V you never saw: No aliens and no spaceships

The two iconic images everyone has from the 1980s version of V are the massive spaceships hovering over Earth's major cities and the seemingly human aliens who turn out to be reptiles. Those also happen to be two things that were never supposed to be in the original miniseries.

Instead the early version of V featured a fascist takeover over of the U.S. with no aliens in sight. "What it was really about was power and people in power," V's creator Kenneth Johnson told Variety.

When then NBC head Brandon Tartikoff read the first draft of the alien-less script, he didn't think people would get the concept, so Johnson introduced the idea of visitors from another world. Although they didn't have the money or the tools to turn V into the massive sci-fi epic that the new script called for, that didn't seem to matter to the audience.

"It's funny, when you go back and look at my original V miniseries, there are a lot fewer special effects than people remember," Johnson said.

from The real V you never saw: No aliens and no spaceships | SCI FI Wire

i haven't seen a broadcast network show get this much promotion since 24 and The OC

i guess they really believe in this remake, but i keep hearing things about the episodes they made were bad and they have to redo em

the pilot doesn't look like anything special, so i just wonder if they are just doing a hype campaign just for sweeps and then will scrap the show after they get record vviewers

I watched the Marathon though I picked it up at 1PM rather than 12:30 so I missed the initial arrival. For its time it was very good tv with Star Wars type weaponry. The archetypes of hero/villain and minions were all in place and there were the different social struggles to overcome. Yes, it read Nazi dominion right from the start including posters with a constant symbol that could be representative of the swastika. There was also the elderly Jew who lived through a concentration camp and having to re-educate his son and others about "never forget, never happen again." Of course they threw in the totally americanized disenchanted grandson who became a brown shirt (literally) a quisling for the Visitors.

For all the massive storytelling what really caught my eye and made me laugh was how they painted jeans on Marc Singer to the point where he couldn't sit down properly. Hard to woo two women sequentially when you can't move. In his one shirtless scene all I could notice was the smallpox vaccination on his upper left arm. The sort of ripped chest over the too tight jeans was calendar worthy but didn't advance the storyline - LOL.

Looking forward to tomorrow night to see an updated version that doesn't feature a "cell" phone the size of a shoebox.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I remember watching the mini-series. It was a lot of fun and my favorite character was played by Michael Ironside.

My sister read the books written and neither of us were into Sci-Fi.

I watched it tonite, and it's a keeper (so far). Very, very good. I never saw the older versions nor read the book, so I guess that makes me the ideal viewer.

It's addressing one of my favorite conspiracy theories, too, so I've been looking forward to it. It's interesting that the original story didn't involve aliens at all but I'm glad it was changed.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

I'm not a sci-fi person but I watched it to see how they did it.

I was very impressed with the acting and writing--as well as with the very high production values.

I never watched the original but I really liked it. The bad guy (FBI agent) surprised the heck out of me! I should have expected it because he always plays a baddie... Loved him as Alpha on The Dollhouse. Glad he's back in some capacity.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I watched it and enjoyed it a lot. I remember the original series but they really cleaned up the plot and made the action sequences more exciting (sets/production values aside).
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Loved it! Am really sad to see the end of Alan Tudyk, though, as I just don't see enough of him in general.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread