+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cougar Town

Cougar Town

I didn't see a thread about this although people were talking about it on another thread, so here it is. Our newspaper's reviewer said this show was "filthy," so I was worried it wouldn't be well received, but Courtney Cox was funny in the same way she always is. But then again we loved Kath and Kim, another outrageous show set in Florida with a comedically gifted middle-aged woman at the center, and that is gone now, so maybe we are just out of sync with "middle America." If the gentle yet hilarious Kath and Kim couldn't survive, how will the boundary-pushing Cougar Town stand a chance? I am rooting for it, though. Two and a Half Men has way more offensive jokes and situations and is a perennial favorite, so if Cougar Town tanks I will suspect a double standard is to blame.

Re: Cougar Town

My discomfort was with all the racy scenes/dialogue in front of the teen-aged son. I get that she's a single mother and wants to be her son's friend but I just could never have that kind of "TMI" dialogue with my son . I think there's a line between discussing sex with your kids and going over board in order to be a "cool" parent. Just my opinion though. For the record, I don't care for all the sex talk in front of Jake on 2 1/2 Men either and the writers are starting to have him say some pretty adult things now too. But overall, that show is pretty funny and the dynamic is between Charlie and Alan. This show doesn't seem to have that kind of chemistry between the characters...yet. And it's obvious if the show were to last that Courtney and the male neighbor will hook up at some point. Where have I seen him? I'll have to google...
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I hated it!!!!!!
    This show is everything I hate about men's opinions of what women should be like.
    It shows all single women over 40 as desperately horny & willing to jump into the sack with any hot body, without a thought for love, caring, or compatability in a man. Like we're all just disposable sex toys, rather than people.
    It's no wonder we can't find a guy to treat us decently. This is what they're being told we all want.
    That, plus the main character should have her son taken away from her. You just don't do that to your child.
    On the plus side, the blonde gal did make me laugh.

I won't be watching this one again.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I liked it, I thought it was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3710446;
    I didn't see a thread about this although people were talking about it on another thread, so here it is. Our newspaper's reviewer said this show was "filthy," so I was worried it wouldn't be well received, but Courtney Cox was funny in the same way she always is. But then again we loved Kath and Kim, another outrageous show set in Florida with a comedically gifted middle-aged woman at the center, and that is gone now, so maybe we are just out of sync with "middle America." If the gentle yet hilarious Kath and Kim couldn't survive, how will the boundary-pushing Cougar Town stand a chance? I am rooting for it, though. Two and a Half Men has way more offensive jokes and situations and is a perennial favorite, so if Cougar Town tanks I will suspect a double standard is to blame.
    I love Courtney Cox, but I just thought the show was ok. I wasn't really thrilled with the backward portrayal of women. I don't think you can assume that a show tanks just because "middle America" ( when did that become so dergatory?) doesn't like it. Sometimes it's the time slot, what it's up against, what leads it, etc.. Plenty of good non-filthy shows have tanked and plenty of filthy shows survive, so I don't think you can make a judgment that simply.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;3710658;
    I liked it, I thought it was hilarious.
    Me too.

It has a ton of snappy one liners with enough memorable scenes and situations to really make it stand out of a crowd.

Mother and Son talks were fun, it's the awkwardness of the situation that makes it funny. Her son even comments on it, he likes her, but he really wishes she would just not instantly say the things that pop into her mind.

And let's not pretend teenagers are these frail little flowers, they're far more experienced and far more viscious than you give them credit for.

"You're not allowed to eat those anymore"
    This is not a signature.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I enjoyed it! I will watch it again! I didn't watch Friends, but I did watch Dirt, and learned to appreciate Courtney Cox's acting skill. She did not disappoint.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;3710893;
    I wasn't really thrilled with the backward portrayal of women.
    I don't see them as representative of "women" in general, and therefore don't see anything "backward," similar to how the Sex & the City gals didn't seem "real" to me. They are just comic characters and can be appreciated as such if they can manage to deliver snappy lines with good timing. The fact that someone as beautiful as CC would feel insecure about her looks tells you the show is not set in any version of reality - not even in the same zip code! - and should not be judged as such. The guys on Two and a Half Men do not get slammed for saying their racy dialog around the teen boy, who now has dirty dialog himself. I still think it's a double standard. (Actually, it is funny how the teen on this show gets embarrassed by both his parents. It's broad exaggeration for comic effect; I don't think it's anything for anyone to get their knickers in a twist about.)

I never really liked her sidekick, the thicker, younger gal who was on Freaks and Geeks, but I like Courtney Cox enough to give this show a chance. They did have a funny exchange when Courtney was dissing women with surgically enhanced "hot dog lips" and the younger one said, "Are you making fun of my mom?"
    Last edited by Harvest; 09-25-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I liked it -- I wanted to love it, the way I loved Sex and the City from the very first episode -- but it was a little too frantic and cutesy for me. I hope, after the first few episodes, it'll calm down a little, and then it'll be great. Loved the risque talk + stuff. I'm a woman in LA over 40, and I've seen everything that was portrayed in this episode -- lots more than once, so the writers are not that far off. Middle aged single/divorced women are not generally sought after by men the same age or older, but for some reason, many younger guys seem to love us!!! If there's nothing wrong with middle aged men dating young gals than let's not put down middle aged women for dating young guys. Fair's fair!!!

PS I do agree with you all who didn't approve of the sex + sex talk in front of the son. That's the only thing I would discontinue in this show -- his frustration about both of his parents' craziness -- that's fine. I hope the show's a hit!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Really disliked it. The only time I laughed was when CC goes to run out the front door, bar guy is there and her blonde girlfriend yells out from the car "you left something at the bar". Other than that one line, I really disliked this show. CC does have one helluva figure, though! I am surprised she (and hubby) would stoop to a show like this. I guess money is the driving factor (along with control)... but having the control you'd think they'd put out a better product.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast