+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Community on NBC

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Community on NBC

Did anyone else watch this? Thursday nights. It's about a community college...mostly about the somewhat older students there...and really quite funny I thought. Of course since I teach I had few quibbles...such as that the normal term until graduation at a community college is 2 years, not 4...that's pretty basic. If they just meant it is a state college vs. a private one or a state university they should have set it somewhere else.
    It's got a good strong lead in with Office... should do ok.

Re: Community on NBC

I wanted to watch it, but it was in conflict with Fringe. Love Joel McHale on Talk Soup. How did he translate to a sit com?

One note about the 4 year graduation time, more CCs are beginning to offer 4 year programs. Miami-Dade and Broward community colleges have dropped "community" and are now known as Miami-Dade College and Broward College, respectively, because of their 4 year med and edu programs.

I didn't see it yet, so I don't know the context of the 2 year/4 year comment, but I'm going to guess that many students that go, end up staying for 4 even though in theory it should be 2 years.
    I have it DVR'd for later. I'm looking forward to it.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I recorded it and watched it today since Fringe was my must watch option. I was not expecting to like Community mostly because I really don't care that much for Chevy Chase, but I found myself enjoying it. I think it's quite funny and the characters appear as if they will form a good ensemble cast. I teach at a community college and found a lot that made me nod and smile.

I agree with Mrs. Hein in that more and more community colleges are beginning to offer 4-year courses. I did teach some classes at BCC some years back.

In any case, I will be recording this and watching again.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3705887;

I agree with Mrs. Hein in that more and more community colleges are beginning to offer 4-year courses. I did teach some classes at BCC some years back.
    Florimel, how many years ago at BCC? What did you teach? I was there from Jan. 2002 to May 2003, with a few "filler" courses afterward needed to complete my accounting degree at FAU. I was a late bloomer, graduating just 3 months shy of my 50th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Hein;3706025;
    Florimel, how many years ago at BCC? What did you teach? I was there from Jan. 2002 to May 2003, with a few "filler" courses afterward needed to complete my accounting degree at FAU. I was a late bloomer, graduating just 3 months shy of my 50th birthday.
    Oh, it was way before that. I left Florida in 1993. I taught several things, but mostly computer classes. And BCC was just an occassional assignment for me. I taught mostly at Nova University and the University School where my sons attended.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3706268;
    Oh, it was way before that. I left Florida in 1993. I taught several things, but mostly computer classes. And BCC was just an occassional assignment for me. I taught mostly at Nova University and the University School where my sons attended.
    Small world--I have a son who teaches at Nova now!

Re the 4 year/2 year thing..in the context it sounded as if that was the "norm" for students there. And I do find that most CCs that move to mostly 4 year programs drop the community label...but maybe it depends what state you are in.

I tape Fringe...I'm always wanting to replay a scene... as in WHAT just happened/was said? And it isn't so suspenseful that I can't wait for the next day to see it.

I liked it! it was quirky enough to hold my attention and strong enough for me to give it a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3706356;
    I tape Fringe...I'm always wanting to replay a scene... as in WHAT just happened/was said?
    I drive my husband NUTS with this! The sound level is fine for all the conversations. Then, Walter starts talking in his really LOOOOOWWWWW gravelly voice, and I have to rewind to catch what he said. My husband can blow through minute details and keep up with the general context of the storyline. I, on the other hand, figure that every word the writers scripted were essential to the plot, so I have to hear every single one of them.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Hein;3706392;
    I drive my husband NUTS with this! The sound level is fine for all the conversations. Then, Walter starts talking in his really LOOOOOWWWWW gravelly voice, and I have to rewind to catch what he said. My husband can blow through minute details and keep up with the general context of the storyline. I, on the other hand, figure that every word the writers scripted were essential to the plot, so I have to hear every single one of them.
    Try the captioning for any show that gives you problems....you quickly learn to read and listen at the same time! Sound is much clearer usually on comedies, but on dramas, especially with the background music being dramatic it's easy to miss stuff. The only problem is that you'll notice the captioning doesn't always match what they say...I figure they changed the script after they gave the captioner the original script. I'm with you, I think the script is important!
    Community is one place where captioning might help you keep up with that lawyer guy's speeches thouigh! (Just to get back on topic!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast