+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

I think the whole thing rests on NBC not Leno. Jay had talked about retirement in 2009 a long time ago. He changed his mind about retiring but NBC wouldn't let him and moved Conan in. The hour in prime time was probably so he wouldn't go elsewhere. I don't think it's fair to blame Leno for this. Maybe he likes the work....I don't think it is about the money.

Personally I would rather have Leno back in the Tonight Show. I have never liked Conan.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Leno never intended to retire--He loved the Tonight show and wanted to stay. (This comes from interviews with Leno himself.) They told him five years ago they were taking The Tonight Show away from him and giving it to Conan. He "put the best face on it" by saying he was planning to retire. As the time drew nearer other networks were making overtures to Leno to put him in a competing time slot with Conan. NBC was desperate to prevent that happening; their "scripted" shows were getting bottom-of-the-barrel ratings. A show like The Tonight Show costs only about 10% as much to produce as an hour of scripted television, so they figured even with significantly lower ratings they'd still be turning more profit. Where they've hit the roadblock is with the "local affiliate news" at 11:00. With Leno's fewer viewers, they get a dramatically reduced "lead-in" to their local news and they're all yelling bloody murder. Add that to the fact that Conan is losing viewers to Letterman in droves and the network's hand was pretty much forced into making some sort of move.

Their problem is still massive: they don't want to risk another network getting Conan, but if they limit Leno to a half-hour show at 11:35, he's not going to get those viewers back from Letterman. And if they fire Conan; he gets a forty-million dollar buy-out. He has a two-year non-compete clause in his contract, so he'll either have to decide to stay at NBC in a demoted role, take the buy-out and be off the air for two years, or negotiate a reduced buy-out figure with the right to go elsewhere. Don't know what Leno's "buy-out" is--but I'll bet it's comparable.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Thanks for the info. Jay
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3790748;
    Leno never intended to retire--He loved the Tonight show and wanted to stay. (This comes from interviews with Leno himself.) They told him five years ago they were taking The Tonight Show away from him and giving it to Conan. He "put the best face on it" by saying he was planning to retire. As the time drew nearer other networks were making overtures to Leno to put him in a competing time slot with Conan. NBC was desperate to prevent that happening; their "scripted" shows were getting bottom-of-the-barrel ratings. A show like The Tonight Show costs only about 10% as much to produce as an hour of scripted television, so they figured even with significantly lower ratings they'd still be turning more profit. Where they've hit the roadblock is with the "local affiliate news" at 11:00. With Leno's fewer viewers, they get a dramatically reduced "lead-in" to their local news and they're all yelling bloody murder. Add that to the fact that Conan is losing viewers to Letterman in droves and the network's hand was pretty much forced into making some sort of move.

Their problem is still massive: they don't want to risk another network getting Conan, but if they limit Leno to a half-hour show at 11:35, he's not going to get those viewers back from Letterman. And if they fire Conan; he gets a forty-million dollar buy-out. He has a two-year non-compete clause in his contract, so he'll either have to decide to stay at NBC in a demoted role, take the buy-out and be off the air for two years, or negotiate a reduced buy-out figure with the right to go elsewhere. Don't know what Leno's "buy-out" is--but I'll bet it's comparable.
    I didn't know that part of the story, I just knew of Leno talking of retiring in 2009. NBC is stupid to force retirement on someone who is doing well in ratings as Leno was. Now they stand to lose a lot more than they would have just letting Leno stay on the Tonight Show.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3790748;

BritLit, you nailed it. As far as NBC taking the show away from Leno is concerned, didn't that come about back in 2005 or so when they were renegotiating Conan's contract and he was threatening to go elsewhere, so they promised him he'd get The Tonight Show in 2009? Am I remembering that correctly?

The whole thing's about money when it comes to TV.
    Leno did way better in the ratings than Conan did - at 11:30 - but if NBC moves Conan past the midnight hour, they have to pay him quite a tidy sum. I don't think ABC is about to do that.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

It's official. Score one for TMZ. Another story they were right about:
    NBC ending Leno's nightly prime-time show

PASADENA, Calif – NBC decided to end the Jay Leno experiment when some of its affiliates started talking about dropping the nightly prime-time show, its top entertainment executive said Sunday.

NBC Universal Television Entertainment Chairman Jeff Gaspin said Sunday that Leno's nightly prime-time show will end with the beginning of the Winter Olympics on Feb. 12. NBC wants Leno to do an 11:35 p.m. show each night, a return to his old time slot, Gaspin said.

Gaspin said despite lower ratings for NBC at 10 p.m. compared with last year, the network was making money off the show.

But affiliates were upset that the show was leading fewer viewers into their late news programs, costing them significant advertising revenue. Some affiliates told NBC in December they would go public soon about their complaints if a change wasn't made, or even take Leno's show off the air.

"The drumbeat started getting louder," Gaspin said.

Gaspin has proposed moving Conan O'Brien's "Tonight" show to 12:05 a.m., and Jimmy Fallon's show would start an hour later. But the late-night hosts had not agreed to the move. Gaspin said he expected NBC's late-night situation to be cleared up by the start of the Olympics.

Asked if O'Brien and Fallon expressed anger at his proposal, Gaspin said both men were professional and understanding when they talked.

"Beyond that, it was a private conversation," Gaspin said.
    NBC ending Leno's nightly prime-time show - Yahoo! News
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I could have told them Jay Leno in Primetime was not going to work. Too bad they canceled shows to do such a dumb move.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Some of the shows getting top consideration for the ten o'clock prime-time slot on NBC:

1. Monday: Law and Order—Traffic Enforcement Unit
    2. Tuesday: Law and Order—Marriage License Bureau
    3. Wednesday: Law and Order—Water and Sewer Department
    4. Thursday: Law and Order—Zoning Violations
    5. Friday: Law and Order—Small Claims Court
    You never know with NBC--it could happen!
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3791694;
    I could have told them Jay Leno in Primetime was not going to work. Too bad they canceled shows to do such a dumb move.
    Chances are, many of those 10pm shows would have been canceled anyway. When NBC made the move, they had two motivations. One of course was keeping Leno from going to a competing network. But the other reason was that their prime line up, especially 10pm shows, were not doing well. ER was going away, because producers and the network had decided it ran its course. Medium found a new home. The Law and Order shows have found other time slots on NBC's line up. So they didn't really cancel much of anything (unless you count Medium). They simply did not seek out more replacements for a very weak lineup.

+ Reply to Thread