+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

Granted you have to take everything that TMZ reports with a HUGE grain of salt, but they are reporting that Conan is being given the option for his show to move to Midnight to 1 or no show. They are planning on a 1/2 hr Jay Leno show at 11:35 EST after local news.

While I have been a fan of Jay Leno, I am a bigger fan of Conan. I personally like his more physical style of comedy. Regardless of my personal taste, it does seem extremely unfair that Conan has not even been host of the Tonight Show for 1 year and he's already getting the raw deal here.

I'm not a big fan of Leno's, but he never asked that NBC put him on at 10:00 PM. That was NBC's idea. He had to go along with it.
    Supposedly, after the Olympics, Leno will go back to his old time slot. Scuttlebutt is that Conan will start at either 12:00 or 12:30. That's what's been on the news out here.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I find it somewhat amusing that the most interest the public at large has shown in Leno's show is in its potential cancellation.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I just read on MSN that Leno is definitely returning to the 11:30 slot after the Olympics. The show will be for 1/2 hour.
    Conan has been offered the 12:00-1:00 slot. If not, he's gone. So far Conan hasn't accepted the offer. He's "considering the offer".
    No word on what will happen if he refuses.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3788542;
    Jay Leno’s show not canceled, NBC says « Entertainment

Wow. Talk about low expectations.

I've never watched one minute of his new show, but I did watch 10 o'clock dramas on NBC. I understand that it's cheaper to produce Leno's show and that, even if it gets crappy ratings, they still make money, but I still hate it. I think it's a shame that so many shows - theoretically, 5 - don't get a chance because the network would rather put a show in that slot that not all that many people are watching.

I'm embarrassed for both Leno and Conan because none of these news stories paint either of them in a flattering light: Leno can't get ratings and everyone is talking about how he should get his old job back and the network should dump Conan. Ouch.
    CNBC was talking about this today-- they were saying that on average, a 10 pm one hour drama costs $2.5-$3 million per episode, while Jay's show costs about $500k per episode. Startup costs for a 10pm drama, though, are in the $9 million range, and of course with pilots, there are no guarantees that they'll draw viewers. It'll be interesting to see what they put at 10 pm, and to see how many flops they can afford.

Here is TV By the Numbers' take. Some interesting points, I thought.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;3790236;
    I just read on MSN that Leno is definitely returning to the 11:30 slot after the Olympics. The show will be for 1/2 hour. Conan has been offered the 12:00-1:00 slot. If not, he's gone. So far Conan hasn't accepted the offer. He's "considering the offer".
    No word on what will happen if he refuses.
    How is Leno feeling about being slashed back to 1/2 hour, I wonder? Seems like sort of a slap in the face. What's he going to do in a 30-minute show ... monologue, headlines or jaywalking, 1 quick guest, done!? I'd rather Conan be cut back ... just my personal feelings -- I find his personality annoying and tedious ... and Jay given the hour.

I wonder if NBC has considered that maybe there are more people watching nightly news because both Jay and Conan are tedious and boring. I like Conan much better than Jay. I find Jay boring and grating. Or maybe they need to look at late night comedy in general. All these shows are clones of each other in late night with a different warm body standing in. There's nothing to differentiate them from each other. There are nights I would rather watch anything than another unfunny monologue from any of them.

Personally, I think Leno has outlived his funny. He got more raunchy as the years went by and he sucks. I watch Letterman and LOVE Craig Ferguson. I think Leno should hang it up

LG.

I read that Conan's contract currently allows NBC to move the start time for Tonight to midnight (11 Central), but no later without substantial financial penalty.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3790704;
    How is Leno feeling about being slashed back to 1/2 hour, I wonder? Seems like sort of a slap in the face. What's he going to do in a 30-minute show ... monologue, headlines or jaywalking, 1 quick guest, done!? I'd rather Conan be cut back ... just my personal feelings -- I find his personality annoying and tedious ... and Jay given the hour.
    I was thinking similarly, even though Jay had been talking retirement and then ended up with the earlier slot. I'm sure it's mostly about the money, though. But how many Harleys and vintage cars does one person need? Jay :nono

Even though I sometimes like Conan and his phrenetic comedy on steroids, I much prefer Jay's laidback approach and also love his rappoire with guests.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

+ Reply to Thread