+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

FORT Fogey

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

Jay is amazing! He was the best man to watch late night in my opinion. There are just so many other shows to watch at 10 pm. Seems like more shows air at 10 than 8 these days.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

TMZ is reporting that Jay Leno's show is being moved to 11:30pm after the show's hiatus and the Olympics are over. It is not know yet if it will be a full hour or a half hour show, or what will happen with Conan O'Brien.

NBC Shakeup -- Jay Leno Comes Out on Top | TMZ.com

Ouch. Talk about a no-confidence vote for Conan.

I sort of feel like it should be tough luck for Leno since he willingly gave up the 11:30 show. He should have known better than to plan that far ahead. How can you know how you'll feel 5 or 6 years (or however long it was) out? Ultimately, it comes down to ratings though. It'll be interesting to see if Leno can get back the ratings he had before.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm kind of happy that this will open up some slots for real shows in that slot on NBC. But I feel like they'll just fill them up with a bunch of law and orders or something. I'm bummed that Conan will be bumped. I would have been happier if Jay had simply retired. This whole charade has made me kind of dislike him in general and while I didn't like Letterman much before, I'm must more apt to sit through Letterman than Jay in the 11:30 slot.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3788479;
    It's been all over the news out here that NBC is ready to pull the plug on this ASAP.
    Thank god.

Now what are they going to do to fill the extra 5 hours? Go crawling back to the shows they canceled for Leno's sake?

Conan getting screwed was predictable. I know I personally will never watch another minute of Leno, and hope everyone else does the same.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

It's not surprise really. Everyone except NBC predicted that the new Jay Leno show in that time slot wouldn't work, and Conan's rating have been slipping all along since he took over the Tonight Show. I've never been a fan of either of them, I prefer to watch Letterman, if I watch a late show at all, but I miss some of the shows that were cancelled because of this, so I'm glad to see NBC have to suck it up and scrap the earlier show idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3788892;
    Conan getting screwed was predictable. I know I personally will never watch another minute of Leno, and hope everyone else does the same.
    No more Leno for me. I don't think he's the funniest guy around, but I did occasionally watch the first fifteen minutes of his show for the little skit-bits he did after the ever so tedious monologue (headlines, Jay-walking - those things were funny). But I am appalled that they wouldn't give Conan the time to work through the growing pains these shows always have, each and every one of them, including the early days of Leno, and are, it seems, planning on just either tossing him aside or relegating him back to the later hours.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

LG.

The statement I saw indicated that Conan wasn't getting the boot either:
    Update, 5:15 p.m.: NBC has issued a statement regarding this, saying "We have the best comedy team in the business. We remain committed to keeping Conan O'Brien on NBC. He is a valued part of our late-night line-up, as he has been for more than 16 years and is one of the most respected entertainers on television."
    Rumors swirl as NBC says Leno not canceled - MSN TV News

I've always loved Conan, so I would hate to see him go. Frankly, I've seen enough procedural dramas (Law & Orders, CSIs, NCISs, etc) that I'd rather watch a talk show most nights at 10 (or rather 9, because the Central Time Zone rocks!!!!).
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3788763;
    I sort of feel like it should be tough luck for Leno since he willingly gave up the 11:30 show. He should have known better than to plan that far ahead. How can you know how you'll feel 5 or 6 years (or however long it was) out?
    I think of it this way - to me, it's more important to think about whether we'd like to see Leno still on the air. I would. And, yes, his decision didn't turn out well. But so what? The important thing is that if his time slot is changed, his fans will still get to watch him on TV. Why would we want to punish someone, when we'd only be hurting ourselves AND Leno? And any way, don't we want to encourage people to try new things? Life would be so boring, and there would be no progress if we didn't try new things. And, if it doesn't work out, well, at least they tried. . .

Well, it was on this mornings news that NBC is getting ready to cancel Jay Leno.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread