+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

FORT Fogey

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

I didn't read the whole article but I saw a headline that said his ratings continue to go down all the time--but that NBC "doesn't care."

I wonder what kind of ironclad contract they have with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3714079;
    I didn't read the whole article but I saw a headline that said his ratings continue to go down all the time--but that NBC "doesn't care."

I wonder what kind of ironclad contract they have with him?
    Wind,
    The reason they did the show with Leno at 10:00 PM was due to the cost factor. NBC said that they could no longer justify the high costs associated with producing a regular 10:00 PM show. So, even though the ratings have dropped considerably from the premiere week, (something that was expected by NBC) the show can still operate in the black.
    It's kind of similar to a small Indie film that gets produced at a low cost and goes on to win a large audience, vs. a high budget film that really needs to break the bank in terms of audience in order to justify / show a profit on the initial investment.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Noreality---you have a really good point about NBC's relative costs for that hour.

Well I guess we could put it this way--you get what you pay for. If they wanted a "cheap" hour--that's what they got.

But no big audience to fill their "cheap seats."

Thinking along the lines of money and revenue--

A question--wouldn't advertisors start to complain and then pull out at some point if the audience for their ads (and their products) keeps shrinking?
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 09-29-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3714095;
    Noreality---you have a really good point about NBC's relative costs for that hour.

Well I guess we could put it this way--you get what you pay for. If they wanted a "cheap" hour--that's what they got.

But no big audience to fill their "cheap seats."

Thinking along the lines of money and revenue--

A question--wouldn't advertisors start to complain and then pull out at some point if the audience for their ads (and their products) keeps shrinking?

Yes, you bring up a very good point. A lot of the advertising dollars have to do, though, with the demographic that's being targeted. So, if Leno gets a high percentage of the 18 - 49 crowd in his numbers, his advertisers may be happy to sign on with him as opposed to another show that may get higher numbers but, perhaps, in an older, less desired demographic.
    Mad Men, for example, is on AMC and they have a much smaller audience than a show that is on broadcast. Yet, certain high end advertisers may be happy to advertise with them because their Ads would target their key demographic.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3714009;
    Yup, since the show started he has moved HEADLINES to the very end. Leno did Headlines last night.

I am still on the fence about the show. Hubby and I loved Leno @11:30pm but this seems to be a different Leno @10pm.
    I have always loved Leno. Even in the 80's when he'd pitch hit for Johnny on monday nights. I do think there is a different feel with this 10pm switch, but once he gets into the groove, I think it will sort out. (I remember in 92 when he took over for Johnny, it took a while for him to get his rhythm). I rarely have anything I want to watch at 10pm (now that Boston Legal is gone) , so I usually switch over to see Jay.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingirl70;3714576;
    ... I rarely have anything I want to watch at 10pm (now that Boston Legal is gone) , so I usually switch over to see Jay.
    That's what TIVOs and DVRs are for! I always have a bunch of shows + movies taped so that I always have something to watch.

It's been all over the news out here that NBC is ready to pull the plug on this ASAP.

LG.

I heard a rumor about that too (and that they were also going to fire Conan from The Tonight Show and replace him with Jerry Seinfeld), but no mention of it on the show and they have been airing new episodes all this week.

I watch it most every night. I've always liked Jay, but I really started to respect him during the most recent writers strike when he had to write all of his own material - he was really good and toasted all the other late night hosts with how many topical jokes he could crank out every single day. He doesn't shy away from controversy either. I recall that NBC had a different definition of "success" for this show than other primetime shows. They weren't expecting it to win the ratings - only to be profitable (which requires less than stellar ratings because the costs for this show are so much lower than airing 5 different shows each night M-F).
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

January 7, 2010 | 1:20 PM ET
    Jay Leno's show not canceled, NBC says

NBC has repsonded to a report on the entertainment website FBTV.com that said Jay Leno's prime-time show on NBC was on the verge of cancellation.

“Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today. As we have said all along, Jay’s show has performed exactly as we anticipated on the network,” an NBC rep said in a statement issued Thursday. “It has, however, presented some issues for our affiliates. Both Jay and the show are committed to working closely with them to find ways to improve the performance.”

"The Jay Leno Show" has been losing viewers since its debut, as have the local news programs that follow it in several major markets.

One of the silver linings proferred by NBC during the show's ratings slide was that, while they knew Leno would have tough going in the fall when the new dramas it was up against were in full swing, he would beat the much more expensive dramas once they were in reruns.

That has not always happened, as Leno has lost against reruns of "CSI: Miami."

Leno also told Broadcast & Cable magazine in November that he regretted his move to prime time.

"Would I have preferred to stay at 11:30?" Leno mused. "Yeah, sure."

Leno went further, comparing hosting the "Tonight Show" for 17 years to winning the prestigious America's Cup yacht race, adding the rejoinder:

"Do I enjoy the battle [of making the new show work]? Yes, I get a certain amount of satisfaction from pounding my head against the wall."

Later, when asked by B&C if he would take back the "Tonight Show" if offered, Leno seemed unaware that the job had been filled:

"If it were offered to me, would I take it? If that's what they wanted to do, sure. That would be fine if they wanted to."
    Jay Leno’s show not canceled, NBC says « Entertainment

Wow. Talk about low expectations.

I've never watched one minute of his new show, but I did watch 10 o'clock dramas on NBC. I understand that it's cheaper to produce Leno's show and that, even if it gets crappy ratings, they still make money, but I still hate it. I think it's a shame that so many shows - theoretically, 5 - don't get a chance because the network would rather put a show in that slot that not all that many people are watching.

I'm embarrassed for both Leno and Conan because none of these news stories paint either of them in a flattering light: Leno can't get ratings and everyone is talking about how he should get his old job back and the network should dump Conan. Ouch.

The best thing about this whole debacle is the increased ratings for Letterman and for Craig Ferguson.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;3788504;
    I watch it most every night. I've always liked Jay, but I really started to respect him during the most recent writers strike when he had to write all of his own material - he was really good and toasted all the other late night hosts with how many topical jokes he could crank out every single day. .
    I have always loved Jay.... even when he was guest host for Johnny. I enjoyed David for a while..... but then got tired of his angry, sarcastic tone. David stopped enjoying doing his show years ago (he was fun in the 1230 spot after Johnny). But, I always sense that Jay really loves his show, his guests and his work. I rarely watched the 10pm dramas (only Boston Legal and LA Law years ago). So *now* I have something to watch at 10pm.

But, if I had a choice..... I would put Jay back at 1130 (as I have less family stuff to do then and can sit down and relax )

+ Reply to Thread