+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

Quote Originally Posted by YorkieMom;3808911;
    My only horror with the JayWalking segments are --- I keep thinking..."OMG, these people can vote !!"
    Sadly, true... and we wonder why we are in this mess......

Jaywalking makes me want to be sure my son takes full advantage of a good education!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3813346;
    Jaywalking makes me want to be sure my son takes full advantage of a good education!
    See, that's just the thing, though.

My dad only got through 9th grade. And he's one of the smartest people I know. He reads, he watches news programs and documentaries on TV. His common sense puts most people I know - college grads included - to utter shame.

I haven't seen more than a couple Jaywalking segments. So I'm not really all that sure what kind of questions he asks. Would my father not know the answers? I'm not sure. He knows a lot about geography - not from having gone to college, but from having been in the Navy in WWII and having actually GONE to many places in the world, or having to know what's going on in the battles of the war. He knows a lot about current events/government - not from studying it in college, but from reading and watching and educating himself through media.

Etc.

I dunno. Did Jaywalking tend to pick on younger generations? I know at 41, I get really incensed when I come across people who don't recognize people, things, places, events that I grew up with. I can't name most state capitals myself. I do know Europe is a continent and not a state or country - and I have seen people on TV who, when pop-quizzed on the street, did not know this. It's sad, isn't it?

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3813314;
    I have a question. I could do a search and find it for myself if I was interested enough, but is the Oprah show and the Tonight show from the same affiliate/channel? Maybe she was "asked" to have him on for spin control. There was a disconnect from both of them between what they were saying and how they were expressing themselves. Jay was spouting innocence, but he came off as flinty. She was spouting understanding while her demeanor spoke differently. I'm sure there's going to be backlash/low ratings when he goes back.
    Oprah is a syndicated show which means it airs on different networks throughout the US.
    I can't stand Oprah so her approbation or disapproval of Leno means nothing to me.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3813580;
    Oprah is a syndicated show which means it airs on different networks throughout the US.
    I can't stand Oprah so her approbation or disapproval of Leno means nothing to me.
    I feel better now knowing there is a 2nd person in the world who does not think Oprah is law
    There's no place like home!

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by YorkieMom;3808911;
    My only horror with the JayWalking segments are --- I keep thinking..."OMG, these people can vote !!"
    I agree! So I guess I'm no better. It, in fact, was one of my favorite segments when I bothered to watch.

OTOH, I find Conan humor to be pedantic and irritating all the time. However, I am well aware that he is an intelligent man. His humor is not geared in that direction at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3813364;
    My dad only got through 9th grade. And he's one of the smartest people I know. He reads, he watches news programs and documentaries on TV. His common sense puts most people I know - college grads included - to utter shame.

I haven't seen more than a couple Jaywalking segments. So I'm not really all that sure what kind of questions he asks. Would my father not know the answers?
    Your dad may not be able to answer some of the questions posed, but he's probably smart enough not to sign the release allowing the show to present him as an idiot to the world at large. Smart and educated are two entirely different things - Mr. Rattus and I both have grade 9 educations, but neither of us are idiots. Well, not all the time .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3813183;
    I don't know why they ever had that delusion that Jay's show would work in that time slot every single night.
    For the network it didn't really fail. It did about as well as they expected.

The plus side for the network was that it cost very little to do Jay's Show.

The minus side: I don't think they thought they would have such trouble getting guests, which was short sighted of them. Why would a rival network help Jay's show against thier own. There was also a backlash against the lack of scripted programming. And the final nail in the coffin of the show was the affiliates rebelling against the low ratings it brought to their newscasts. The Network factored in thier costs, not the affiliates.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3813608;
    I feel better now knowing there is a 2nd person in the world who does not think Oprah is law
    There's a third. I can't stand Oprah.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3813796;
    There's a third. I can't stand Oprah.
    Fourth person here. I can't turn the channel fast enough when I see her on it.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I don't DISlike her. However, I don't see her as this up-on-a-pedestal object of worship, either.

I always found it funny on Saturday Night Live, when Tim Meadows played her. They'd bring "her" in on a sedan chair with slaves fanning her with palm fronds, and she'd refer to herself as "The Oprah."

+ Reply to Thread