+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3808627;
    ..."Jaywalking" is the best example, probably. It drips with contempt for the common man, and it artificially creates this sneering portrayal by apparently editing out many of the not-so-dumb answers by people, or if its live in the studio by making sure that only the dumbest of the dumb are asked to attend.

Compare this to Dave, who for all his rep. as "mean" or antisocial or a pet of the hip intelligentsia, based a lot of his OWN "Man on the Street" humor ... on making HIMSELF the buffoon and the ordinary people the bemused bystanders. ...

Conan falls far closer to the Dave camp in this.
    This is all very true, and is why I kind of hate myself for laughing at the Jaywalking segments (I know that there are plenty of people giving rational and correct answers to his questions). But yes, his withering disdain for the average Joe (chubby, undereducated, but happy with his/her life) is palpable and contemptible.
    Last edited by Rattus; 01-26-2010 at 01:07 PM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

My only horror with the JayWalking segments are --- I keep thinking..."OMG, these people can vote !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3808637;
    But yes, his withering disdain for the average Joe (chubby, undereducated, but happy with his/her life) is palpable and contemptible.

I guess it is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't see any disdain on his part. It makes perfect sense that they would edit out the smart answers because the point of the segments isn't people who know the answers. That wouldn't be funny at all.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3808969;
    I guess it is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't see any disdain on his part. It makes perfect sense that they would edit out the smart answers because the point of the segments isn't people who know the answers. That wouldn't be funny at all.
    The problem isn't him editing out the non-funny answers. The problem is that the skit is specifically constructed to display ignorance. Conceptually its all about putting people down.

Which in of itself isn't always bad, but when combined with Jay's "image" as a man of the people, its jarring. It comes off as just another way he's not what he presents himself as.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Oprah interviewed Jay yesterday and he doesn't take any responsibility for how things went down. All dollars and cents and ratings according to him. He came across to me as smug and unlikeable. Oprah was a little testy with him, trying to get him to see why people are upset. He wouldn't have it.
    Count your blessings!

Ryan ~ Reid ~ Roberto ryanfan4vr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3812175;
    Oprah interviewed Jay yesterday and he doesn't take any responsibility for how things went down. All dollars and cents and ratings according to him. He came across to me as smug and unlikeable. Oprah was a little testy with him, trying to get him to see why people are upset. He wouldn't have it.
    I watched it as well and actually thought just the opposite, as far as him being smug and unlikeable. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but I thought he was getting blamed for things that were out of his control.

I do agree that he didn't take any responsibility. He did say it was all because of the ratings and money. He said that The Tonight Show was down 49%...that is a lot. He said his show was cancelled and he asked to be let go of his contract. Before the interview, I guess I was of the impression that after Jay's show was cancelled, he went to the execs and asked for his time slot back, which is not what happened. They went to him and Jay was told by the execs that they thought Conan would have no problem moving the Tonight Show back by a half hour. With the ratings so low, I guess they had to try something. Both shows were the number one show at their time slots and both of them were tanking, so I guess they needed to try something. Jay's show was only down 14%, compared to the 49% of Conan's.

I do feel sorry for Conan and thought his speech on his last show was very classy.

I, too, thought that Oprah was testy in the interview. That's why it really confused me when Jay asked Oprah if her opinion of him had changed and she said that she was surprised that everyone was giving Jay such a hard time. She attributed that to people just not knowing how the business worked. So, from that statement, it seemed like she thought the public's view was due to the ignorance of how the industry worked. BUT, I still think her whole demeanor throughout the interview said just the opposite.

I will never ever watch any thing related to Jay Leno. He doens't understand that it was HIS LACK of ratings that drove Conan out

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I scanned a current article in Entertainment Weekly where they list the 50 or so biggest TV flops, and the Jay Leno show is #1.

I don't 100% remember what they said except that Leno's ratings were dismal, his show brought down the newscasts that followed his show as well, and Conan on TTS suffered as well as a sort of domino effect. Pertaining to this current discussion, they also do chalk Conan's bad ratings up partially to his style of show not working with Leno's built-in TTS audience.

I don't know why they ever had that delusion that Jay's show would work in that time slot every single night.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanfan4vr;3812215;
    I, too, thought that Oprah was testy in the interview. That's why it really confused me when Jay asked Oprah if her opinion of him had changed and she said that she was surprised that everyone was giving Jay such a hard time. She attributed that to people just not knowing how the business worked. So, from that statement, it seemed like she thought the public's view was due to the ignorance of how the industry worked. BUT, I still think her whole demeanor throughout the interview said just the opposite.
    I have a question. I could do a search and find it for myself if I was interested enough, but is the Oprah show and the Tonight show from the same affiliate/channel? Maybe she was "asked" to have him on for spin control. There was a disconnect from both of them between what they were saying and how they were expressing themselves. Jay was spouting innocence, but he came off as flinty. She was spouting understanding while her demeanor spoke differently. I'm sure there's going to be backlash/low ratings when he goes back.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread