+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingirl70;3806667;
    I have been wondering if when Conan said he hated cynicism, he was directing it at Dave and others who are blaming Jay?
    I got the impression he was talking to his fans and not to any of the players in the late night game. I don't think Dave has been cynical per se - he just seems to be enjoying NOT being at the center of controversy.

Craig Ferguson had a good line a week or two ago about knowing the situation was messed up when he and Dave looked like the stable ones!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3806677;
    Playing fair here - Conan bummed me out by making fat jokes more than once.

I mean REALLY bummed me out.
    I am only a sporadic viewer of late night talk shows and have rarely watched more than the first fifteen minutes of Leno's show (I could not be less interested in celebrity interviews), but I can say that I've ever heard him do a monologue that didn't include a fat joke or three. And more than just the joke, there was a real sense of contempt from him for the overweight. One of many, many reasons not to watch his show as far as I'm concerned, not the least of which is he is boring.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3806462;
    I repeat - TTS's ratings tanked when Leno took over. It took 3 years - and a lucky break with Hugh Grant - to get him to a point where he passed Letterman in that time slot.

Conan wasn't given a chance.

But he was given a chance. He had a show for years before he took over TTS. What happened to those people? Did they not follow him?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3807537;
    But he was given a chance. He had a show for years before he took over TTS. What happened to those people? Did they not follow him?
    If they were like me they vacated NBC when Leno took over every single night in prime time. I started going to bed earlier since nothing was on and started missing Conan.

I have to assume that the people who watched Letterman and then Conan (and there are plenty of people who did) stayed with Letterman.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

A large portion of Leno's Tonight Show audience did follow him. The problem, as I understand it, is that he didn't add to that audience. The size of an audience in late night is considerably smaller than the size of an audience in prime time. So maintaining the same audience was not enough for the affiliates. From what I understand, that's what caused this entire thing to be handled now instead of giving it more time as NBC had initially promised. NBC could continue making the money they needed with a late night audience in prime time. But the affiliates rely on a prime time audience going into their late news, and they were hurting.

I saw reports yesterday that the buy out clause in Leno's contract is reportedly $150 million. Perhaps the $40 million vs $150 million is the real reason that NBC chose Leno over Conan.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet;3808489;
    A large portion of Leno's Tonight Show audience did follow him. The problem, as I understand it, is that he didn't add to that audience. The size of an audience in late night is considerably smaller than the size of an audience in prime time. So maintaining the same audience was not enough for the affiliates. From what I understand, that's what caused this entire thing to be handled now instead of giving it more time as NBC had initially promised. NBC could continue making the money they needed with a late night audience in prime time. But the affiliates rely on a prime time audience going into their late news, and they were hurting.

I saw reports yesterday that the buy out clause in Leno's contract is reportedly $150 million. Perhaps the $40 million vs $150 million is the real reason that NBC chose Leno over Conan.
    I was talking about Conan's audience from his late night show, not Jay's. I can totally see why Jay's prime time show failed. I watched it, but I am not into all the Law and Orders, etc so Jay was a good fit for me.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3808500;
    I was talking about Conan's audience from his late night show, not Jay's. I can totally see why Jay's prime time show failed. I watched it, but I am not into all the Law and Orders, etc so Jay was a good fit for me.
    Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I'm not an expert on ratings, but from things I've read, I think that Conan's audience at 1230 was significantly smaller than Leno's audience anyway. So if it carried all of that audience to 11:30, he'd still have a big drop from Leno's ratings. Add to that, as was mentioned upthread, the similarity between Conan's style and Letterman's style (which I think was part of the reason NBC chose Conan to replace Letterman in the first place) and it would make sense that some of Conan's audience was also loyal to Dave, and chose Dave when the two went head to head.

FORT Fanatic

I just have to comment on the Jay Leno "fat joke" statement. Um, isnt Jay extremely overweight? How can he have contempt for fat people when he is definetly one of the fattest guys on television? I dont watch his show, I've seen his picture this past week because the whole NBC thing is all over the web, the guy is FAT. Even I would watch his show if he tried to do ten pushups on live tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3806849;
    I am only a sporadic viewer of late night talk shows and have rarely watched more than the first fifteen minutes of Leno's show (I could not be less interested in celebrity interviews), but I can say that I've ever heard him do a monologue that didn't include a fat joke or three. And more than just the joke, there was a real sense of contempt from him for the overweight. One of many, many reasons not to watch his show as far as I'm concerned, not the least of which is he is boring.
    Well, take a look at many of Jay's skits and ongoing features. Many of them are inherently about mocking the "common people" Jay so stridently defines himself by. It's like he wants to be Mr. Blue Collar, but at the same times makes his bones over mocking that very thing about them.

"Jaywalking" is the best example, probably. It drips with contempt for the common man, and it artificially creates this sneering portrayal by apparently editing out many of the not-so-dumb answers by people, or if its live in the studio by making sure that only the dumbest of the dumb are asked to attend.

Compare this to Dave, who for all his rep. as "mean" or antisocial or a pet of the hip intelligentsia, based a lot of his OWN "Man on the Street" humor (which he was doing LONG before Jay) on making HIMSELF the buffoon and the ordinary people the bemused bystanders. The exact opposite of the way Jay looks down on, and portrays down, people.

Conan falls far closer to the Dave camp in this. Again, he's usually the buffoon and the ordinary person is along for the ride (sometimes literally, since one thing I recall Conan doing on multiple occasions has been to gather random people together and have them ride around with him on some kind of wacky errand/quest).

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread