+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

FORT Fogey

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3806146;
    Just watched Conan's last show and I'm going to miss him. Since I heard about the whole debacle going on, I've thought that Leno should've just bowed out. Wasn't that the plan from the start? That he'd retire and Conan would get his show?? The fact that NBC reeled him in with a 10:00 show shouldn't matter; he resigned from TTS and let sleeping dogs lie.

Kudos to Conan for leaving with his head held high and his dignity intact. He didn't fail at the 10:00 slot, he stood up for his integrity, and I wish him the best. I've always thought Conan was fantastic and can't wait to follow him to wherever he heads next.
    First of all, Jay didn't want to retire. NBC TOLD him in 2004 that's what he was going to do ... to turn over the reins to Conan in 2009 because they didn't want to lose Conan. To keep Jay in the network, they offered him the 10 p.m. deal. Plans change (such is life, and the nature of the TV network beast). Conan was bombing out on TTS, which with Jay as host was kicking Dave's a$$, but now the ratings had slipped. Jay was bombing out at 10 p.m. So how would the network save the Tonight Show? It's a no-brainer: By bringing back the guy who kept it #1 for all those years before they stupidly forced him out and shot themselves in the foot. It's business ... why would they want to keep Conan on TTS when he had placed the show firmly in the #2 position? #2 doesn't cut it. (No, Conan didn't fail at the 10 p.m. slot ... he failed at the 11:35 slot. That's why he doesn't have it anymore. TV shows that fail are routinely taken off the air, but of course they are not going to eliminate the whole Tonight Show because of the host.) Part of the legacy of TTS was its #1 position. NBC wanted that back. Whether Jay can regain that remains to be seen, but he obviously has a better chance of doing that than Conan, or someone else with no track record. People need to stop blaming Jay. He doesn't run NBC. NBC did not want to keep Conan on TTS. Doesn't mean he's not talented, just not right for that particular show.
    Last edited by Lucky22; 01-24-2010 at 10:21 AM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I don't know...were Conan's ratings lower than Leno's because he wasn't as good a fit as Leno for the show? OR because Leno had lead ins like ER and Conan had Leno....every single night. And Leno at 10 had lousy ratings compared to a drama show. Yes, cheaper to produce, but then it's going to kill the ratings of the news and following shows.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3806346;
    I don't know...were Conan's ratings lower than Leno's because he wasn't as good a fit as Leno for the show? OR because Leno had lead ins like ER and Conan had Leno....every single night. And Leno at 10 had lousy ratings compared to a drama show. Yes, cheaper to produce, but then it's going to kill the ratings of the news and following shows.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Jay Leno fan, but I just don't see him as the bad guy in all this.

The last year or 2 NBC has had terrible evening/night ratings, but Leno still kept his #1 late-night ratings, even with poor lead-ins. This is what he turned over to Conan & only then did the ratings drop like a rock. It really was a Business Decision.

NBC had the #1 late-night show & host, but Conan whined to management & threatened to leave 5 years ago, & Conan & NBC management came up with the 5 year FORCED RETIREMENT plan. Not Jay Leno. Leno was forced into it unwillingly.
    Now Conan's whole plan has blown up in his own face when he couldn't hold up the Tonight Show ratings.
    Didn't he ever hear the saying: "Be careful what you do. Things have a habit of coming back around to bite you in the butt."
    It looks to me like Conan just got butt-bit.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I repeat - TTS's ratings tanked when Leno took over. It took 3 years - and a lucky break with Hugh Grant - to get him to a point where he passed Letterman in that time slot.

Conan wasn't given a chance.

I'd like to know what the source is for the statement that Conan threatened to quit so NBC forced Jay to retire. If that's the case, it might color my view.

Even if that's the case, it says something that 5 years ago NBC basically took a stance that said we'd rather lose Jay in 5 years than lose Conan now.
    Last edited by Fierce Critter; 01-24-2010 at 07:17 PM.

I also took the time to read Wikipedia's entry on the situation: 2010 Tonight Show host and timeslot conflict - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Discussion of the page is primarily a back-and-forth between a pro-Leno person claiming Conan-preference on the page, and assertion by the other party that if it seems like it leans that way, it's because overwhelming popular opinion of fans and industry insiders is that Conan is NOT the bad guy here.

I have heard people claim to be (or know) industry insiders backing up Leno here. But the overwhelming number of NBC and ACTUAL "have stepped forward to state their piece on the matter" people are in camp Conan, with not very positive things to say about either NBC or Leno himself.

To say Conan "whined" about the situation back in '04 (or whenever it was) is overstating the situation, I think. From what I've read, he indicated that he had interest from other networks (namely, Fox) and wondered what his future was at NBC, what with Leno at TTS for the foreseeable future. Nothing wrong with that. The NBC execs, fearing they'd lose him - and I'm sure they thought they'd just keep him at 12:30 until Leno finally decided to retire - came up with the Leno retirement thing.

ITA about Leno vs. Conan and their ratings. Leno was given a MUCH stronger lead-in on a number one network and a much longer time to get into gear. Even then, who knows what would have happened without the Hugh Grant interview. Conan had Leno and his failing ratings and only 7 months on (I believe) the lowest rated network. The execs knew they blew it with shuffling Leno and Conan around and, to "fix" the situation, they threw Conan under the bus (sorry, I hate that phrase, but it's applicable here).

I think the way Conan handled this whole situation has earned him tons of fans, some of whom never even watched him before this. It also lost Leno fans, whether the blame is on him or not.

The critics all panned Leno's 10:00 show and wondered why he was doing almost the exact same show at 10:00 as he did at 11:35. It seemed lazy to me that, after the network promised a new and different show, Leno delivered pretty much the same thing he'd always done. I'm sure he won't do anything different when he goes back to 11:35 either. For some people, I'm sure that's great, but for me, it's just boring.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Jay Leno's show failed for many reasons, one being Jay himself. But the main reason was the time-slot and lazy programming backlash. NBC went for a cheap alternative to programming. And the other networks that were putting money into their 10pm slot wanted nothing to do with helping NBC drag Network TV down the drain. So he didn't get "Tonight Show" quality guests every night. Many people like myself wouldn't watch it on a bet because we didn't want it to succeed and take away scripted shows.

All that said, I think NBC is further shooting themselves in the foot. I think there will be a backlash against the way Conan was treated. And take the money out of it. The way he was "treated". They paid the money because of a contract and publicity. Jay has done himself no favors and I think will suffer a loss in viewership. His core following will be there, but that wasn't enough to sustain his 10pm show. Will enough people return to save the Tonight Show? I am not sure.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

I am not regular late night tv watcher but pop them on if a particular guest is worth catching. Once , I tuned in for no reason and found Jay making a fat joke. He's hit the bottom of the barrel-fat jokes are sophmoric and just not funny. Still wishing Letterman had gotten TTS...
    Ted: Dougal, you can't sit around here watching television all day - chewing gum for the eyes!
    Dougal: Oh no thanks Ted, I've got these crisps, here.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3806252;
    Part of the legacy of TTS was its #1 position. NBC wanted that back. Whether Jay can regain that remains to be seen, but he obviously has a better chance of doing that than Conan, or someone else with no track record. People need to stop blaming Jay. He doesn't run NBC. NBC did not want to keep Conan on TTS. Doesn't mean he's not talented, just not right for that particular show.
    ITA, Lucky! NBC is to blame for this entire fiasco.

I watched Conan when he started in 1993. It took a long while and many an uncomfortable show for him to get his "hosting" legs. But, I think that he is intelligent and innovative...... more suited for a show that's his own, not the institution that is the Tonight Show. (Never could understand why Dave even wanted tts, when his own "brand" was so distinctive..... ). I guess it's the "romance" of the Tonight Show.

I have been wondering if when Conan said he hated cynicism, he was directing it at Dave and others who are blaming Jay?

Conan went out in style, and I am proud of him. I hope, where ever he lands, he takes Andy with him! I love Andy ...... and was glad he got to be on the tonight show with Conan.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGuyWing;3806655;
    Once , I tuned in for no reason and found Jay making a fat joke. He's hit the bottom of the barrel-fat jokes are sophmoric and just not funny.
    Playing fair here - Conan bummed me out by making fat jokes more than once.

I mean REALLY bummed me out.

I don't know if there's a comedian out there who doesn't resort to them. That actually is why I let myself stop watching Conan on his show. He basically disappointed me.

Yet I'm still in his camp over this whole debacle.

+ Reply to Thread