+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3805603;
    Um, I don't know, but I would sure like the opportunity to find out!! Seriously, it's not that I don't feel for Conan. It''s certainly humiliating on some level and painful to lose a job and a lifelong dream. However, people lose their dreams all the time and have to press the restart button (and with a lot less going for them than Conan has). That happens frequently in life, and he, unlike many others, certainly has the means and the talent to create another dream job. Sorry, I just can't feel that bad about it. If he doesn't need the money, I know a lot of people in Haiti who could use it. Now that's who I can feel sorry for.

Thank you for such a well put post.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3805588;
    Last night's Conan was exceptional. He really is a class act..
    I never thought I'd use the term "class act" to describe Conan, but I agree with you.
    Last night's show was funny, entertaining, & fun. He didn't turn it into a bitter, bad-spirited tantrum like I expected him to. I really enjoyed it.
    His final comments to NBC were gracious, classy, & thoughtful.
    My opinion of him as a person & an entertainer improved dramatically due to last night's show.
    He left with a positive attitude, a smile & a laugh. I like that.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I just watched Conan's last show on Hulu and am so pleased (although not surprised, really) that he went out classy. Even when sticking it to NBC over the last week or so, he's done it with a sense of humor and not been mean-spirited about it. He's always had a goofy sense of humor, but I've always thought he was a really smart guy with a lot of class.

I hope that, wherever he lands, he does well. I know I'll be watching.

One of the "sponsors" on Hulu is Top Gear on BBC, which I now know is one of Leno's favorite shows because there was a clip of him saying so during the commercial......in the middle of Conan's last show Nice. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but it was pretty cringe-worthy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

One of my favorite comedians, Louis CK, used to be a writer for Conan. I had heard that he finally shared his view on the late night mess, and was able to find an article on that today. Here is a link

Breaking News - Louis C.K. Gives His Perspective on Conan, Leno | TheFutonCritic.com

His is a perspective that I have not heard from too many people, and had not thought about it, but after reading it, I have to say I agree with it. There are some late night shows that are an institution, and those on the show are kind of like scenery. Then, there are personalities with late night shows where the show would not be the same with someone else - unless the replacement is very similar to the original.

I think that Louis is right. Jay Leno worked on The Tonight Show, because he was essentially background noise holding up the institution. People don't tune in to The Tonight Show as much to see Jay as they do for the routine of it and/or the guests. Perhaps people like Conan and Dave are truly better off with other shows where they can do their thing without having to stick to the tradition of The Tonight Show.

I love Louis CK. Thanks for the link! My friends and I are always quoting lines from his stand-up, none of which I can repeat here!

I have to agree with him about watching TTS for the show vs. the host. For me though, it was never TTS once Johnny left - he WAS TTS for me. It became "The Jay Leno Show" after that. I felt like Conan wanted to bring it back to being TTS.

As far as watching a late night show for the host, the only show I do that with is Craig Ferguson. I'd watch him interview my mailman because he's funny, quick and interested. He has an actual conversation with guests and proves that almost anyone is interesting if you know which questions to ask.

Leno always struck me as someone who really wasn't listening to the guest - he just wanted to get his jokes in. I guess Leno doesn't need me to think he's funny (which is good, since I don't) because HE thinks he's funny enough for the both of us.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;3805766;
    I never thought I'd use the term "class act" to describe Conan, but I agree with you.
    Last night's show was funny, entertaining, & fun. He didn't turn it into a bitter, bad-spirited tantrum like I expected him to. I really enjoyed it.
    His final comments to NBC were gracious, classy, & thoughtful.
    My opinion of him as a person & an entertainer improved dramatically due to last night's show.
    He left with a positive attitude, a smile & a laugh. I like that.
    I so agree, I thought the show was really fun and really touching....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3805800;
    I love Louis CK. Thanks for the link! My friends and I are always quoting lines from his stand-up, none of which I can repeat here!

I have to agree with him about watching TTS for the show vs. the host. For me though, it was never TTS once Johnny left - he WAS TTS for me. It became "The Jay Leno Show" after that. I felt like Conan wanted to bring it back to being TTS.
    As far as watching a late night show for the host, the only show I do that with is Craig Ferguson. I'd watch him interview my mailman because he's funny, quick and interested. He has an actual conversation with guests and proves that almost anyone is interesting if you know which questions to ask.

Leno always struck me as someone who really wasn't listening to the guest - he just wanted to get his jokes in. I guess Leno doesn't need me to think he's funny (which is good, since I don't) because HE thinks he's funny enough for the both of us.
    Really? How so? The only resemblance I can see is having a pudgy bland sidekick. Otherwise Conan and his version of TTS bore no resemblance to Johnny's version. Johnny didn't leap onto his desk and act like he was on uppers all the time. The only time I've ever seen Conan calm on the show at all was his little goodbye spiel last night. Of course, I didn't watch Conan frequently because I couldn't stand his frenetic style right before bedtime.
    Last edited by Lucky22; 01-23-2010 at 06:34 PM.

I agree with you. That arrogance is what I never liked about Leno. I don't know why he bothered to have guests the times I watched because it was about him and his jokes and his stuff.

I'd rather watch high energy than something like that.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

<-- high-fives Critical

Amen to that. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Craig Ferguson, for all the reasons you state and more.

DOUBLE Amen.

I find nothing more irritating in a comedian than laughing at his own jokes. Which Leno did unceasingly. My dislike for him has been there for years, all based on TRYING to watch him, and just being turned off.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Just watched Conan's last show and I'm going to miss him. Since I heard about the whole debacle going on, I've thought that Leno should've just bowed out. Wasn't that the plan from the start? That he'd retire and Conan would get his show?? The fact that NBC reeled him in with a 10:00 show shouldn't matter; he resigned from TTS and let sleeping dogs lie.

Kudos to Conan for leaving with his head held high and his dignity intact. He didn't fail at the 10:00 slot, he stood up for his integrity, and I wish him the best. I've always thought Conan was fantastic and can't wait to follow him to wherever he heads next.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread