+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 256

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

  1. #191
    Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    774

    Re: Jay Leno's New Show

    I wouldn't say I feel sorry for Conan. Not at all.

    I just think that all of us, in our careers, have something we strive for and/or idolize.

    He obviously had a lot of respect for the legacy of the Tonight Show. He dug being the host. He would have liked to have stayed on and made it successful.

    I think anyone would be disappointed if something they really wanted to do well was taken away from them before they had a real chance to make it work.

  2. #192
    Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    774

    Re: Jay Leno's New Show

    Wow. I'm not a Howard Stern fan. But this came up on Youtube for me today, and I think it's very, very telling.

    Howard on Conan in 2006 warning him Jay won't be giving up TTS

  3. #193
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565

    Re: Jay Leno's New Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;3805248;
    Any sympathy I had for Conan went out the window when I read he will be getting an Over 40 Million Dollar! settlement. Not bad for a few months unemployment. That can buy an awful lot of "feeling better".

    I'm not a big fan of Conan, but I will be watching his last Tonight Show.
    Why would you lose sympathy for him just because he had a fairly standard penalty clause in his contract?

    It was the job he cared about and worked pretty hard for. You can still feel sympathy for him losing that, as well as being publicly humiliated by being tossed over for a pushy has-been, who got the job BACK simply by virtue of having an even BIGGER penalty clause in HIS contract (which the liar insists was written without any representation, because "he's a simple man, who does handshake deals")?

    Does Conan deserve the same level of sympathy as some struggling family man who got laid off when the plant in his town got closed down? No. Does he deserve some? Sure. Because the money is more a kick in the balls to punish NBC for welching than what he really wanted (and arguably deserved). And its not like he NEEDED the money. He was already fairly well off. So those things he can now buy with that money? Very few of them were out of his range before this happened.

    The one thing he can't buy is his dream job, the legacy he wanted to build, back. You know... the one he tirelessly and uncomplainingly worked for 16 years to earn.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  4. #194
    I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Where the Thunder Rolls
    Posts
    2,105

    Re: Jay Leno's New Show

    I've never been a Conan fan, nor have I gotten his sense of humour. I did like the fact that he didn't seem to want stardom, and has kept himself out of the public spotlight. Watched his last show and have to acknowledge how classy he was tonight (and has been throughout this drama) AND was impressed that he played guitar! I did shed a tear or two because I realized that he was losing something that was really important to him and that he had worked for, for many years and yet was still grateful for the opportunity NBC had given him. He is definitely a man of integrity, grace and conviction and for that I applaud him. No wonder NBC didn't want him to leave.....

    Kudos to Conan!
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

    Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

  5. #195
    FORT Fogey cablejockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    1,703

    Re: Jay Leno's New Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3805294;
    Wow. I'm not a Howard Stern fan. But this came up on Youtube for me today, and I think it's very, very telling.

    Howard on Conan in 2006 warning him Jay won't be giving up TTS
    Amazing piece of video! You can see that Conan thought Howard was crazy for saying that, yet it all came true.

  6. #196
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,790

    Re: Jay Leno's New Show

    I thought his last show was great and he acted classy through out this. I, for one, never liked Jay's comedy and found him to come off as arrogant when I did watch him on the tonight show. I'd rather watch Dave than Jay. So I guess I will be moving my TV viewing, once again, away from NBC at night now that Conan was gone.

  7. #197
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,394

    Re: Jay Leno's New Show

    I'm not a fan of Jay or Conan. The tonight show ended for me when Johnny Carson left it. It became the lame jokes with Jay Leno show after that.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  8. #198
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,910

    Re: Jay Leno's New Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3805487;
    Why would you lose sympathy for him just because he had a fairly standard penalty clause in his contract?

    It was the job he cared about and worked pretty hard for. You can still feel sympathy for him losing that, as well as being publicly humiliated by being tossed over for a pushy has-been, who got the job BACK simply by virtue of having an even BIGGER penalty clause in HIS contract (which the liar insists was written without any representation, because "he's a simple man, who does handshake deals")?

    Does Conan deserve the same level of sympathy as some struggling family man who got laid off when the plant in his town got closed down? No. Does he deserve some? Sure. Because the money is more a kick in the balls to punish NBC for welching than what he really wanted (and arguably deserved). And its not like he NEEDED the money. He was already fairly well off. So those things he can now buy with that money? Very few of them were out of his range before this happened.

    The one thing he can't buy is his dream job, the legacy he wanted to build, back. You know... the one he tirelessly and uncomplainingly worked for 16 years to earn.
    Exactly right, and why I have empathy for him rather than sypathy. What is money once you realize that your goals are dead.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  9. #199
    Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    774

    Re: Jay Leno's New Show

    Last night's Conan was exceptional. He really is a class act.

    I want to add, I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was about him - on this show or his original show - that made me unable to watch it. It's what someone said about the hyperness. I agree - I like him tons, and find him funny. But at that time of night, I need a bit more of a relaxing show.

    Carson used to be that way. He had raucously funny things, sure. The place when bananas when the guy from the Columbus Zoo was on sometimes. But overall, his manner was more calm and easy.

    Anyway, Jimmy Fallon had a nice opening bit about Conan, too. If you can catch it on Youtube sometime, do. It's just the first few minutes.

  10. #200
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Jay Leno's New Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3805559;
    Exactly right, and why I have empathy for him rather than sypathy. What is money once you realize that your goals are dead.
    Um, I don't know, but I would sure like the opportunity to find out!! Seriously, it's not that I don't feel for Conan. It''s certainly humiliating on some level and painful to lose a job and a lifelong dream. However, people lose their dreams all the time and have to press the restart button (and with a lot less going for them than Conan has). That happens frequently in life, and he, unlike many others, certainly has the means and the talent to create another dream job. Sorry, I just can't feel that bad about it. If he doesn't need the money, I know a lot of people in Haiti who could use it. Now that's who I can feel sorry for.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.