+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

NBC's the one most at fault here. What's Jay supposed to do? I'm glad he's still on the air and moving back to 11:35, because at 10 I was never at home to watch him. I never cared about Conan and knew he'd lose to Letterman when he took over. With or without Jay at 10, like some people have blamed for his ratings, Conan wasn't going to cut it. Jay didn't want to leave and if NBC didn't keep him another network would have scooped him up. Conan will probably do well at first, wherever he winds up, but eventually that'll probably pass and he'll have low ratings. Jay will likely suffer because of NBC's stupidity I don't consider him the bad guy here.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3804074;
    NBC's the one most at fault here. What's Jay supposed to do? I'm glad he's still on the air and moving back to 11:35, because at 10 I was never at home to watch him. I never cared about Conan and knew he'd lose to Letterman when he took over. With or without Jay at 10, like some people have blamed for his ratings, Conan wasn't going to cut it. Jay didn't want to leave and if NBC didn't keep him another network would have scooped him up. Conan will probably do well at first, wherever he winds up, but eventually that'll probably pass and he'll have low ratings. Jay will likely suffer because of NBC's stupidity I don't consider him the bad guy here.
    It just seems a tough situation all around, with Jay and Conan making the best of a bad thing. If you follow the story from 2004, it's clear that Jay is not the villain here. Conan got a good settlement and will land on his feet somewhere else, at least for a while. Jay gets to go back to TTS, where I hope he wipes up the floor with Letterman again. Couldn't stand Conan. As NCLurker said, I didn't find his humor funny, either, just annoying. He seemed juvenile, but maybe that's because I'm not in his demographic. I just don't want to see that kind of frenzied behavior, like someone on a really irritating caffeine and sugar high, right before I go to bed. Letterman isn't funny to me, either, except maybe for the Top 10 list. Otherwise, he acts cranky and sarcastic, makes unpleasant faces, and keeps repeating the same unfunny phrases over and over as if they're hilarious. I'll watch Jay again at 11:30, at least sometimes depending on the guests. Otherwise, I'll go to bed at a decent hour!

At this point, I find it hard to have empathy for anyone getting a settlement of over $30 mil.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3804226;
    It just seems a tough situation all around, with Jay and Conan making the best of a bad thing. If you follow the story from 2004, it's clear that Jay is not the villain here. Conan got a good settlement and will land on his feet somewhere else, at least for a while. Jay gets to go back to TTS, where I hope he wipes up the floor with Letterman again. Couldn't stand Conan. As NCLurker said, I didn't find his humor funny, either, just annoying. He seemed juvenile, but maybe that's because I'm not in his demographic. I just don't want to see that kind of frenzied behavior, like someone on a really irritating caffeine and sugar high, right before I go to bed. Letterman isn't funny to me, either, except maybe for the Top 10 list. Otherwise, he acts cranky and sarcastic, makes unpleasant faces, and keeps repeating the same unfunny phrases over and over as if they're hilarious. I'll watch Jay again at 11:30, at least sometimes depending on the guests. Otherwise, I'll go to bed at a decent hour!
    Just had to ask if you if we are sharing a brain because the bolded part describes my feelings exactly! Send the part of my brain that is visiting home. I don't have enough brains cells to be sharing with anyone.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3804231;
    Just had to ask if you if we are sharing a brain because the bolded part describes my feelings exactly! Send the part of my brain that is visiting home. I don't have enough brains cells to be sharing with anyone.
    Well, if NC stands for North Carolina, that's where I live, too! Maybe we are really the same person existing in two different dimensions (or something like that). Weirder things have happened. Or maybe it is just something in the water here.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3804416;
    Well, if NC stands for North Carolina, that's where I live, too! Maybe we are really the same person existing in two different dimensions (or something like that). Weirder things have happened. Or maybe it is just something in the water here.
    True NC Native here! Maybe that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3804074;
    NBC's the one most at fault here. What's Jay supposed to do?
    At the bare minimum, not be a graceless twit about it. Which he has been.

One only has to watch his routines over the past few weeks to see the passive-aggressive posturing, the positioning of himself as a victim, the blame and attention shifting techniques (like targeting Letterman in an attempt to deflect attention from himself), the lame justifications he's aired instead of simply manning up and admitting he wanted exactly what happened, etc.

What Leno "was supposed to do" was not be an ass. Even if you believe every single word claimed about him being ousted from the Tonight Show against his will in the first place, even if you don't recall how he got the job in the first place, even if you don't think about how little effort or creativity he put into the 10PM and hold him primarily accountable because of that, there remains the fact that he's acted like a total buffoon in the past few weeks. So there's plenty of reason to have lost all respect for him, even if we can trace a path where he's not the direct cause of what NBC did to Conan.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3803993;
    My question....what happens if Leno tanks in this time slot now?
    Jimmy Fallon gets the Tonight Show? I'd watch that.

Kiz

According to TMZ, Conan's final show tonight has a somber tone in between jokes. He and Will Ferrell end the show with a performance of Free Bird with Conan on guitar, and there'll be a surprise guest from a NBC show "that's really very funny". The article said that narrows it down to like three shows.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Any sympathy I had for Conan went out the window when I read he will be getting an Over 40 Million Dollar! settlement. Not bad for a few months unemployment. That can buy an awful lot of "feeling better".

I'm not a big fan of Conan, but I will be watching his last Tonight Show.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread