+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3796279;
    Oh really. Then why did Jay Leno get around 2 1/2 years to gain his footing when HE started the Tonight Show (with less competition and better lead ins)?
    In all fairness, though, that was quite a long time ago and things were very different back then. There was also a lot less competition as cable, etc. were not prevalent like they are now.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Let's be honest...Leno knows he is bascially screwed. If he takes the time slot and bumps Conan the fall out will be bad. If he doesn't take the time slot, then he is out on the sidewalk.
    There's no place like home!

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Apparently Leno going back to The Tonight Show at 11:35 to 12:35 is now a done deal and contract renegotiated for Leno. This according to TMZ (I always seem to quote them).

Leno and NBC Strike 1 Hour 'Tonight' Deal | TMZ.com

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf;3797059;
    Apparently Leno going back to The Tonight Show at 11:35 to 12:35 is now a done deal and contract renegotiated for Leno. This according to TMZ (I always seem to quote them).

Leno and NBC Strike 1 Hour 'Tonight' Deal | TMZ.com
    I could threaten not to watch, but I haven't watched Jay for years, so I don't think that's much of a threat.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3796617;
    In all fairness, though, that was quite a long time ago and things were very different back then. There was also a lot less competition as cable, etc. were not prevalent like they are now.
    You're proving why NBC should have had more patience now, not less. Jay had it EASIER and got more time. The point is Jay is a hypocrite trying to paint himself as the victim here. He did it AGAIN tonight. At least until Jimmy Kimmel showed up and crucified him on his OWN show. Thanks Jimmy! You normally aren't funny, but you've made me laugh TWICE this week!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

If anyone's a victim in this, it isn't Leno. NBC changed their programming completely for him and cleared FIVE hours for him during prime time every week. Now, they're basically pushing Conan out of a job that was promised to him 5 years ago and giving it back to Jay.

Jay got exactly what he wanted and I'm sure is getting a nice amount of money (where "nice" is equal to "obscene") on the new contract. I don't feel sorry for him at all. I'd love to be that victimized.

The other way in which Conan has had in tougher than Leno did is in the fact that Leno actually had a solid prime time lead-in most nights. Conan had Jay As long as it doesn't conflict with Craig Ferguson, I'll watch Conan on whatever network he ends up on.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

I have heard before that comedians are very different in real life. I have a feeling that Jay is a complete a** on a day to day basis. I can only hope his wife is compensated for being with him. Coco forever!

I didn't find Jay funny before. I certainly didn't find him funny in prime time and after all this will go out of my way to avoid him with the tonight show. I usually watch my nightly news on that channel but I'll change that too just so I don't have to go channel surfing afterward. NBC made a glorious mess of their prime time.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;3797212;
    I could threaten not to watch, but I haven't watched Jay for years, so I don't think that's much of a threat.
    I'll join you in the idle threat department.

I was never particularly a fan of Conan, but of the players...NBC, Jay, and Conan...Conan and his crew are the only ones who I can muster up any sympathy. Even at that, it's more for the crew than for Conan as it sounds like he'll be taking home a nice fat pay check for his trouble. It's never been clear to me if Jay had made any acknowledgment five years ago that he was 100% on board with passing the torch on to Conan in '09 or if NBC was forcing his hand and sweetened the deal with the less than stellar (okay, much less than stellar) idea of a 10 pm five day a week show.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3797387;
    I'll join you in the idle threat department.

I was never particularly a fan of Conan, but of the players...NBC, Jay, and Conan...Conan and his crew are the only ones who I can muster up any sympathy. Even at that, it's more for the crew than for Conan as it sounds like he'll be taking home a nice fat pay check for his trouble. It's never been clear to me if Jay had made any acknowledgment five years ago that he was 100% on board with passing the torch on to Conan in '09 or if NBC was forcing his hand and sweetened the deal with the less than stellar (okay, much less than stellar) idea of a 10 pm five day a week show.
    A big pay check, sure, but all of these guys are ALREADY rich. Even the "new kid", Conan. Heck, even Kimmel is probably well off.

Having "the legacy" is what mattered most to Conan. Unlike Leno, who notably said in the interview last year where he began his process to getting the 11:35 job BACK that "legacies don't matter". This was also the wonderful interview where he began his campaign to get TTS back (Mr. Passive-Aggressive Weasel said in it that he'd take 11:35 back if the network offered it to him).

Conan squeezing money out now is just a way to try and get back at NBC a little bit. It's not like he needed it or wanted it more than he wanted his dream job.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread