+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

I've always loved Jay and thought it was stupid when they gave the Tonight Show to Conan. I like him, but as a talk show host he just doesn't do it for me. I was happy Jay was getting a show at 10 but it's no different, and less funny, than his original time slot. But I'm not liking how NBC has handled this. They had a good thing going with Jay at 11:35 but ruined it, and I don't know why they thought Conan would keep the viewers and bring more in. I feel sorry for him. And I think it could backfire if they put Jay back to 11:30.

I did find it funny when Letterman joked that it's all about Jay, Conan, and Jimmy but no one is even mentioning what'll happen to Carson Daly

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3795495;

I finally got to listen to Patton Oswalt's interview (thanks, Krom) and I agreed with him. While Conan (and Dave too) was interested in the legacy of The Tonight Show and of working to further the show and do something new, Leno just wanted the show. That show used to be THE place for new comedians starting out. Johnny was credited with launching so many stand-up careers. Jay hardly EVER has stand-ups on to do anything other than sit on his couch.

I have to wonder how much of the launching comedians thing changed because of Jay, and how much of that changed because the world of TV changed. Carson launched comedians when there was not really any other place for them to go. Now, there are options with everything from HBO and Comedy Central to You Tube.

I would also say that while I agree that most of the comedy on Jay's Tonight Show was focused on him instead of highlighting others, that has not been the case with his prime show. In fact, one of the things I'm dissapointed to see go with his show ending is some of the segments where he's highlighted a lot of comedians I really like. In his features like Uninvited Guest, and the round table he does some nights, I've gotten to see a lot of comedians like Jim Norton who I really enjoy.

These projected losses are just frightening: Study shows extent of affiliate losses - Yahoo! News
    I haven't seen any numbers for how much money has actually been lost on this whole mess. That's the thing that bothers me the most: the network execs weren't just gambling their own money - this affected people at affiliates all over the country who had no say in the matter. I guess it's always that way, but this just seems flagrant to me.

TMZ is reporting that Leno is going to be given back The Tonight Show if Conan actually leaves.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3794897;
    The whole situation is messed up but, in the end, it is business first and if NBC wants to give Leno back the 11:30 slot, well, that's their choice.
    This whole thing has turned into a royal mess, with no answer being fair to everybody, but business is what got them into this mess.

Way back when....... NBC was afraid of Conan jumping ship to another network, just like Letterman did back in the day. Jay wasn't ready to leave, so they had to promise (contractually) Conan the Tonight Show in 5 years, hoping that Leno would be ready at that point. 5 years seemed like plenty of time & they just kept their fingers crossed.
    As the time approached, Leno WASN'T ready, & then they were even more afraid of the time-slot ratings leader going to another network when Conan moved in. They were stuck between a rock & a hard place, so they offered Leno the Prime-Time show to keep him with NBC.
    Conan's ratings dropped like a rock. Leno's new show wasn't working out & if they cancelled him, they'd be back to where they were before: Afraid of the former lat-night ratings-leader going to another network, only at this point up against a Tonight Show with dropping ratings.

At this point, they're grasping at straws. Conan taking their offer was their only hope of salvaging the situation, & Conan knew it!
    Now that he refused thier offer, they're stuck with a choice of who they'd rather lose to another network: Leno, the long time late-night ratings leader; or Conan, the popular & promising up-&-comer who's losing Tonight Show ratings.
    It's all business & ratings.

Decisions, decisions.

I wish Craig Kilbourne was on an hour earlier. He's the best one of the whole lot.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I wish Craig Kilbourne was on an hour earlier. He's the best one of the whole lot.[/QUOTE]

I thought CBS got rid of Craig Kilbourne years ago??
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3796030;
    I wish Craig Kilbourne was on an hour earlier. He's the best one of the whole lot.
    I thought CBS got rid of Craig Kilbourne years ago??[/QUOTE]

Whoops, I meant Craig Ferguson

I must have been having a blast from the past.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;3796038;
    I thought CBS got rid of Craig Kilbourne years ago??
    Whoops, I meant Craig Ferguson

I must have been having a blast from the past.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I definitely can understand about Craig Ferguson. The man is very funny. Hard to believe he's the same guy from the Drew Carey show.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3795951;
    These projected losses are just frightening: Study shows extent of affiliate losses - Yahoo! News
    I haven't seen any numbers for how much money has actually been lost on this whole mess. That's the thing that bothers me the most: the network execs weren't just gambling their own money - this affected people at affiliates all over the country who had no say in the matter. I guess it's always that way, but this just seems flagrant to me.

TMZ is reporting that Leno is going to be given back The Tonight Show if Conan actually leaves.
    I don't believe for two seconds Jay intends on leaving the show. NBC will do right by him and probably give him a very hefty salary and all sorts of perks. But I think it may backfire. There's been all this controversy and Conan is getting shafted, and it's going to look like Jay just cost him his job by taking back over.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3795168;
    Conan says he wasn't given an opportunity to find his feet. He has been on the air for seven months. A lot of people in business wouldn't be given that long of an opportunity to prove they were of value to their business. A lot of new tv shows don't even make it past the first few episodes if their ratings do not match up with expectations so why should Conan be different?
    Oh really. Then why did Jay Leno get around 2 1/2 years to gain his footing when HE started the Tonight Show (with less competition and better lead ins)?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3796279;
    Oh really. Then why did Jay Leno get around 2 1/2 years to gain his footing when HE started the Tonight Show (with less competition and better lead ins)?
    Just because they extended that long a grace period to Leno doesn't mean they have to do it for Conan. They didn't have to give Conan seven months either - they could have cancelled him four months ago (although they would have had to buy him out, of course).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread