+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

CCL

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

The thing is, Conan wants it, but so does Jay. If we were only to decide on who gets it based on who wants it, it would be a dead heat. If we were to decide based on who is more innovative, has newer bits, than Conan would get the nod. But it is not about either of those things. It's about ratings and about finances. Conan says he wasn't given an opportunity to find his feet. He has been on the air for seven months. A lot of people in business wouldn't be given that long of an opportunity to prove they were of value to their business. A lot of new tv shows don't even make it past the first few episodes if their ratings do not match up with expectations so why should Conan be different? I like Conan as a person (the little I know of him), but if he is not contributing to NBC's bottom line, and NBC feels that Leno would help their business more, then it is not unfair of NBC to go with Leno.
    Last edited by CCL; 01-13-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3795168;
    The thing is, Conan wants it, but so does Jay. If we were only to decide on who gets it based on who wants it, it would be a dead heat.
    Conan says he wasn't given an opportunity to find his feet. He has been on the air for seven months. A lot of people in business wouldn't be given that long of an opportunity to prove they were of value to their business. I like Conan as a person (the little I know of him), but if he is not contributing to NBC's bottom line, and NBC feels that Leno would help their business more, than it is not unfair of NBC to go with Leno.
    Well said. It's natural to feel a lot of sympathy for Conan O'Brien in all of this, because looking at the immediate past, it appears that Jay Leno failed, and therefore wants to go back to the way things were. But in doing so, it's forgotten that the reason that all this happened in the first place was that several years ago, Leno was the one asked to play the company guy and step aside to make room for O'Brien ... and he agreed.

For that reason, I think that there's a lot to feel sorry about for both Leno and O'Brien. Hopefully, NBC has learned the lesson that it does not pay to make programming decisions based on the business of personnel. If they had made these decisions (the initial decision to hold on to O'Brien by pushing Leno aside, and the second decision to hold on to Leno by pushing O'Brien aside) based on what the audience needed, instead of trying to hold on to as many stars as possible so they didn't have to compete against them, I think it would all be smoother. It's a great lesson in confirming that you can't please everyone.

I *think* this is the same Patton Oswalt segment that was posted earlier...
    Patton Oswalt's Comments on Leno/Conan Shakeup - AOL Video

The thing about giving Conan a chance is that Leno took TWO YEARS to settle in and really start doing well in the ratings. Conan has already gotten miles better than he was 6 months ago.

I finally got to listen to Patton Oswalt's interview (thanks, Krom) and I agreed with him. While Conan (and Dave too) was interested in the legacy of The Tonight Show and of working to further the show and do something new, Leno just wanted the show. That show used to be THE place for new comedians starting out. Johnny was credited with launching so many stand-up careers. Jay hardly EVER has stand-ups on to do anything other than sit on his couch.

I guess my feeling is that Leno should do the gracious and noble thing and step aside for Conan. That's not going to happen - this is Hollywood and Jay Leno we're talking about - but I can still dream.

On the plus side, this whole debacle is making for big laughs on the other late night shows. Dave has been on fire this week. Every time he said "Jay 'Big Jaw' Leno" last night... Craig has gotten some funny bits in too.

I'm starting to wonder how NBC is going to recover from all this. If they have to buy out Conan's contract, that's about $40 million. Plus, they've already announced that they'll be losing $100-$200 million on the Olympics.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

The swirling rumor mill continues to swirl...

snip...Sources close to former 'Tonight Show' host Jay Leno tell me he is furious with the way NBC has treated him and Conan O'Brien and is considering walking away from the entire mess with his head held high. "Now that Conan has made it clear he is leaving the troubled network, Jay is considering doing the same...snip
    Jay Leno May Walk Out of NBC, Too | PopEater.com
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Why wasn't Jay thinking of this before Conan went public with walking away. I have never been a Leno fan. My belief is David Letterman got screwed by NBC. Now who has the last laugh (literally)
    There's no place like home!

I seldom watch any of them but, if I do, it's Letterman, Ferguson or occasionally Leno. I just don't find Conan or Jimmy very funny.
    I can certainly empathize with Conan in this matter, but I certainly wouldn't blame Jay for it. He never asked that they put him on at 10:00 - that was NBC's decision. And, I can understand why NBC would want to go back with Jay and not Conan, based on ratings. That is why they're in the mess they're now in.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I think a lot of people agree that Jay should step aside and let Conan keep the Tonight Show. The problem with that is that Conan was losing more and more viewers to Letterman. It doesn't seem likely that that trend would reverse if Conan stayed put. The show that's going to "make out like a bandit" from all this is Jimmy Kimmel --he appeals more to that 28-35 demographic the networks so prize.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3795644;
    I think a lot of people agree that Jay should step aside and let Conan keep the Tonight Show. The problem with that is that Conan was losing more and more viewers to Letterman. It doesn't seem likely that that trend would reverse if Conan stayed put. The show that's going to "make out like a bandit" from all this is Jimmy Kimmel --he appeals more to that 28-35 demographic the networks so prize.
    Well, I have to admit Jimmy Kimmel is one of my favorites, however, I tend to flip from show to show (not the same night usually) depending on which show is hosting a guest that I want to see.

In view of all this craziness though, I may just boycott Leno entirely, and mostly just watch Conan...... until he leaves. My small, itty bitty way of protesting (personal style).
    Lettermen, I watched a lot of recently to show my support after that big brouhaha, but I owe him no firm loyalty. I've always liked Conan, and will show him my support (even if only one TV at a time).

and Brit,
    I'm calling you all as witnesses when I sue Letterman for stealing my idea Just watching and he did a bit with the "Law and Order" opening sequence: Law and Order: Leno Victims Unit.
    His people have eyes everywhere, so no big surprise they used it - it was funny. Maybe you can use/claim it in your portfolio?
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3795516;
    The swirling rumor mill continues to swirl...

Jay Leno May Walk Out of NBC, Too | PopEater.com

That would be classic. Both of them should walk away and leave NBC to it's mess.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread