+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show - NBC (formerly The Jay Leno Show)

Re: Jay Leno's New Show

I see NBC having a really bad year. I hope they don't expect the government to bail them out.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3794197;
    Geez, I don't blame Conan for being mad if they had promised him the Tonight Show slot for the last 6 years. That is a loooong time to wait for that spot. Who knows how many other offers he had during that time?

It will be interesting to see if Leno wants it back.
    Of course Leno wants it back. His whole "I've been fired twice" shtick is just a disingenuous act.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3794257;
    I loved the line at the end apologizing for his hair.

I am not a fan of Conan, but he is handling this with class, good for him. He is the main victim in all of this.

NBC needs to fire all the idiots responsible for this whole debacle.
    Jay Leno?

Nah. It won't happen.

Zucker? We can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3794289;
    And he's handling it with a lot of class, as opposed to Leno
    There's this fiction which has persisted for a long time that Leno is "a nice guy". Bull. He's a shark who ACTS nice to people's faces, but passive/aggressively manipulates things to get his way. Patton Oswalt lays this out pretty well...

Patton Oswalt on Leno and Conan shakeup (audio)--The Live Feed | THR

Obviously Oswalt will never be invited onto a Leno hosted show again, eh?
    Last edited by Krom; 01-12-2010 at 10:20 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3794405;
    I am curious about this "buy out" clause Brit...... if they offer him this lame deal of starting later, and he refuses (which he has) he still is entitled to the 40 Mill? Because NBC changed the terms of his contract, he can walk off with the loot..... Not bad, but I still appreciate his feelings expressed in the letter to fans.
    That's what I'm wondering, too. My understanding was that the contract stated that they were allowed to move Conan to 12:05 but no later. If he refuses to accept a show starting at 12:05, does that not mean that he is not living up to his end of the contract, and NBC does not have to pay him at all? I'm sure there will be negotiations and he will end up with a nice chunk of change regardless.

The only show I've ever really watched was Leno and then very rarely and never at 10:00. The whole situation is messed up but, in the end, it is business first and if NBC wants to give Leno back the 11:30 slot, well, that's their choice. None of the options will keep me up at night.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3794853;
    Of course Leno wants it back. His whole "I've been fired twice" shtick is just a disingenuous act.

Jay Leno?
    I don't think Leno is to blame at all. He didn't want to leave in the first place and NBC forced it. NBC is the one moving him instead of canceling him outright and NBC is the one asking Conan to move. I don't understand why people are placing the blame on Leno..he isn't the one in charge it is the executives who have no clue how to run a network that are to blame.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

I'm calling you all as witnesses when I sue Letterman for stealing my idea Just watching and he did a bit with the "Law and Order" opening sequence: Law and Order: Leno Victims Unit.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

I really NEVER watch Jimmy Kimmel, but I wanted to see his take.

He's doing his whole SHOW dressed and acting as "Leno". Prosthetic chin, bad gray wig, dark suit, lisping Leno voice, etc.

He's even doing bent versions of all of Leno's "bits", extra-lame. Interviewing the guests acting as "Leno" too.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3794897;
    That's what I'm wondering, too. My understanding was that the contract stated that they were allowed to move Conan to 12:05 but no later. If he refuses to accept a show starting at 12:05, does that not mean that he is not living up to his end of the contract, and NBC does not have to pay him at all? I'm sure there will be negotiations and he will end up with a nice chunk of change regardless.

The only show I've ever really watched was Leno and then very rarely and never at 10:00. The whole situation is messed up but, in the end, it is business first and if NBC wants to give Leno back the 11:30 slot, well, that's their choice. None of the options will keep me up at night.
    I read an article today in either the LA Times or the NY Times that said that Conan's contract doesn't stipulate that his show has to be in the 11:35 time slot, so he can't really claim that they are breaching his contract by moving him, so I'm not sure that he's entitled to the buy out that comes with their breaking his contract. It's an unfortunate oversight that makes his bargaining position weaker than we would like to think. Then again, who woulda thunk that anyone would consider having the Tonight Show in any other time slot.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;3795049;
    I read an article today in either the LA Times or the NY Times that said that Conan's contract doesn't stipulate that his show has to be in the 11:35 time slot, so he can't really claim that they are breaching his contract by moving him, so I'm not sure that he's entitled to the buy out that comes with their breaking his contract. It's an unfortunate oversight that makes his bargaining position weaker than we would like to think. Then again, who woulda thunk that anyone would consider having the Tonight Show in any other time slot.
    I believe his contract stipulates that they can't put him on later than 12:05, which is why they're only giving Leno 30 minutes. Like Dave pointed out in his monologue tonight, at 12:05, it's not the TONIGHT show, it the TOMORROW show.

As for Leno not being to blame for this....he's been publicly stating that he'd like his 11:30 slot back almost since the day he left and them hemming and hawing that he didn't want to step on anyone's toes and only wanted the slot back if that's what everyone else wanted. Like Krom said, he's very good at putting that nice guy image out there for the public, but he's ruthless. There have been rumors around Hollywood about this for years.

ITA with Patton Oswalt (whom I love!): Leno hasn't done anything new with his show and has been doing the same schtick for years. Conan has at least been working hard on creating something new and he really WANTS it. Krom - sadly, all the links to that Oswalt interview have been killed. I can't find a transcription either I'd love to see/hear/read the interview in its entirety.

For me, The Tonight Show died when the network people went against Johnny's wishes and hired Leno instead of Dave. What hope does Conan have if NBC didn't even respect Johnny?

I'd love to see Conan head on over to Fox and do his own thing....and beat Leno in the ratings!

ETA: This is a really dead-on opinion piece about why Leno should be shown the door: Dear NBC: Just Let Jay Leno Go - Inside TV
    Last edited by Critical; 01-13-2010 at 05:13 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3795113;
    ITA with Patton Oswalt (whom I love!): Leno hasn't done anything new with his show and has been doing the same schtick for years. Conan has at least been working hard on creating something new and he really WANTS it. Krom - sadly, all the links to that Oswalt interview have been killed. I can't find a transcription either I'd love to see/hear/read the interview in its entirety.
    I imagine NBC muscled the content owner into making YouTube take it down.

I know we can't give YouTube links direct (that's why I only linked to a news story covering it), but when I did this on YT:

1.) searched for the phrase "Patton Oswalt" on YT.
    2.) changed the search filter to sort by date.

I found it easily enough.

You'll no doubt find an alternate copy of it too... for now.

Alternate search phrases might include "Comedy Death Ray Radio" (that's the name of the program he was on) and "Oswalt On Leno"
    Last edited by Krom; 01-13-2010 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3795124;
    I know we can't give YouTube links direct (that's why I only linked to a news story covering it), but when I did this on YT:
    We actually allow YouTube links now They just have to be in line with our rules (i.e. PG-13) I'll go look for that video now 'cause I really want to know what else he said!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread