+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: The Vampire Diaries - CW

The Vampire Diaries - CW

Season Premiere is September 10, 2009 on the CW at 8/7C

Based on the series by L J Smith.
    The plot revolves around Elena Gilbert, a young heroine who is the object of passion for two vampire brothers—one good, one evil—who are at war for her soul and for the souls of her friends, family and all the residents of the small town of Mystic Falls, Virginia
    TV Guide summary:
    "Brooding high school newcomer Stefan (Paul Wesley) can't get his mind off classmate Elena (Nina Dobrev) — perhaps because the two of them were deeply in love 130 years years ago. Yeah, Stefan is a vampire, and so is his reckless bad-boy brother, Damon (Lost's Ian Somerhalder). This one also features a special guest appearance by massive amounts of fog."

Anyone else interested?
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

Massive amounts of fog?! I'M IN!
    Seriously though, Ian Somerhalder + any cast member from Degrassi + Vampires... I'll give it a shot
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3684922;
    This one also features a special guest appearance by massive amounts of fog."

I'll probably give it a try, but as we know, not all vampire stories are created equal. If it's just "hey, we're vampires!" then I'll be done after one episode. I have hope, but I'm going to wait and see.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I saw a commercial for this and literally thought it was an ad for Twilight the movie, they look that similar. Isn't this just a ripoff trying to snag the same demographic as Twilight?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3684971;
    I saw a commercial for this and literally thought it was an ad for Twilight the movie, they look that similar. Isn't this just a ripoff trying to snag the same demographic as Twilight?
    That's kind of the feeling I got. It's definitely an attempt to pull the Twilight crowd.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Not really since these books were written before the Twilight ones so they are not a ripoff.

I've read some reviews of it and the main thing being stressed is that the books were written for 10 year olds (young romance....very young) and that the reviewers don't hold out much hope for them unless they stray from the books considerably.

The reviewers all made it a point to stress that these books predate the Twilight ones significantly.

I think, if anything, they are trying to capitalize on the True Blood TV craze and how popular vampires seem to be right now. Personally I think it's over saturation and I don't expect it do well because there is just too much vampires right now.

You know there have been lot's of book written before and after Twilight and the subject has been vampires and they are not ripoffs. Funny how one particular author can hit the right note with readers and anyone else writing about the same subject is ripping off the author. Twilight is not the be all and end all of vampire stories.

The CW did a great job with Smallville and Supernatural and hopefully will do so with the Vampire Diaries.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3685122;
    You know there have been lot's of book written before and after Twilight and the subject has been vampires and they are not ripoffs. Funny how one particular author can hit the right note with readers and anyone else writing about the same subject is ripping off the author. Twilight is not the be all and end all of vampire stories.

The CW did a great job with Smallville and Supernatural and hopefully will do so with the Vampire Diaries.
    I think also the focus here is on the good twin and bad twin. From what I've read there are a number of changes from the books; but I think that since the characters are supposed to be High School age, they are aiming for a younger crowd. I am going to watch the first few at least, just to enjoy Ian, and if it is to much on the youthful side, might drop it. But, for now - I am looking forward to it, and for Ian's sake hope it is successful!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I just got my next week's TV Guide and in it they have a psychic predicting that Vampire Diaries will be a hit. Not quite sure what to make of that. There was also another article saying that VD is getting a lot of bashing from Twilighters claiming it is a rip off that story. mmmm....the books that VD is based on were written over 10 yrs ago. Even in this day and age some people can't be bothered to google and find out basic info. Guess Twilighters really are fanatics.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

If the show was greenlit based solely on the merits of the books it is sourced from, it would have been on our screens years ago (as the books came out over a decade and a half past). Whether someone likes Twilight or not is moot; the fact is, the rampant popularity of the Twilight films & books has caused Hollywood to look to vampire-themed projects just as they have always jumped on anything that is hot or trending. And I agree with hepcat that the promos for Vampire Diaries do bear a passing resemblance to the Twilight films (and I'm sure that was intentional, as the CW is no doubt trying to lure Twilight fans to the show).
    I will reserve my judgment of the show until the first episode. However, is Ian Somerhalder supposed to be in high school? Because if he is, I'm not going to be buying that...
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1234567891011 ... LastLast