+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 353
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: The Vampire Diaries - CW

  1. #11
    FORT Devotee Mike'sgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    5,152

    Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3690515;
    If the show was greenlit based solely on the merits of the books it is sourced from, it would have been on our screens years ago (as the books came out over a decade and a half past). Whether someone likes Twilight or not is moot; the fact is, the rampant popularity of the Twilight films & books has caused Hollywood to look to vampire-themed projects just as they have always jumped on anything that is hot or trending. And I agree with hepcat that the promos for Vampire Diaries do bear a passing resemblance to the Twilight films (and I'm sure that was intentional, as the CW is no doubt trying to lure Twilight fans to the show).
    I will reserve my judgment of the show until the first episode. However, is Ian Somerhalder supposed to be in high school? Because if he is, I'm not going to be buying that...
    I am not sure if bad brother (Ian) is supposed to be of high school age - his brother (good) is supposed to be. I don't even know if they are supposed to be fraternal twins or just siblings......

    It may be to young adult for me, but I will give the show my gratis 3 episodes test.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

  2. #12
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,872

    Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3690515;
    If the show was greenlit based solely on the merits of the books it is sourced from, it would have been on our screens years ago (as the books came out over a decade and a half past). Whether someone likes Twilight or not is moot; the fact is, the rampant popularity of the Twilight films & books has caused Hollywood to look to vampire-themed projects just as they have always jumped on anything that is hot or trending. And I agree with hepcat that the promos for Vampire Diaries do bear a passing resemblance to the Twilight films (and I'm sure that was intentional, as the CW is no doubt trying to lure Twilight fans to the show).
    I will reserve my judgment of the show until the first episode. However, is Ian Somerhalder supposed to be in high school? Because if he is, I'm not going to be buying that...
    Not true. First of all YA or young adult books never got the respect they deserved until JK Rowling and Harry Potter and now Stephanie Meyer and Twilight. Second of all the supernatural or science fiction has always been a very hard sell to the (US) tv viewing audience, Although, Lost and Heroes have been changing that (also the reimaged Battlestar Galactica). Somehow the words science fiction/supernatural scare/turn off people to the point that Lost creators call the genre of their show something different (alternate world story or some such).
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  3. #13
    Resident "tyrant" JavaJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bedlam
    Posts
    6,179

    Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3690892;
    I am not sure if bad brother (Ian) is supposed to be of high school age - his brother (good) is supposed to be. I don't even know if they are supposed to be fraternal twins or just siblings......

    It may be to young adult for me, but I will give the show my gratis 3 episodes test.
    I just read the books and I always got the impression that Damon is a tad older than Stephan. Definitely not twins.

  4. #14
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,872

    Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

    If anyone misses the premiere episode on Thursday it repeats on Friday and Saturday.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #15
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,872

    Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

    Quote Originally Posted by brock9233;3696956;
    I will definitely give this series one try.I am watching true blood these days and i want to see that how much different this show is from true blood.After that i will give my reviews on this show.
    Given the audience adult/HBO vs teens/CW I can see that Vampire Diaries will be much more romantic and full of angst then True Blood. I cannot imagine any of the vampires on True Blood being full of angst, they would just bite you.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  6. #16
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,387

    Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

    Yowch, just read a total panning of this in the local paper. But they also did make the point that these books way predate the Twilight books, even though they both involve teen girls in love with vampires and have assorted other "supes", so that if anyone was doing any stealing it would have to be SM (not implying she did!).

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey canadian_angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    the province with the really long name
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,714

    Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

    It wasn't that bad. I didn't mind it too much actually. In terms of premieres it doesn't rank up as the worst. It's already full of teenage angst though.. and it's only episode one.

  8. #18
    Wait, what? ArchieComic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Farm
    Posts
    4,724

    Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

    Maybe I've finally aged myself out of the target audience for these types of shows. I wasn't too impressed with the S2 premiere of 90210 (I watched all of last season), nor the series premiere of Melrose or Vampire Diaries. I'll give each another shot but I wouldn't be upset if I forgot they were on or if they were canceled.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

  9. #19
    FORT Devotee Mike'sgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    5,152

    Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3698021;
    Maybe I've finally aged myself out of the target audience for these types of shows. I wasn't too impressed with the S2 premiere of 90210 (I watched all of last season), nor the series premiere of Melrose or Vampire Diaries. I'll give each another shot but I wouldn't be upset if I forgot they were on or if they were canceled.
    I actually have it sitting on my DVR waiting till I feel like watching it.

    But, I am already thinking to skip it entirely. Hmmm, debating about it. Almost feel like why waste my time...........
    I wonder what Bearcata thought of it?
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

  10. #20
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,872

    Re: The Vampire Diaries - CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3698027;
    I actually have it sitting on my DVR waiting till I feel like watching it.

    But, I am already thinking to skip it entirely. Hmmm, debating about it. Almost feel like why waste my time...........
    I wonder what Bearcata thought of it?
    Awww...you were thinking of me, how sweet. Anywho.....mmmmm.....it was.....ok. It wasn't great and it wasn't totally horrid. It does have potential. That being said, can the writers, producers and cast get it together? It did have one big strike against it and that was it was before Supernatural. Although it would have been an even bigger disaster if it was after Supernatural. Supernatural has great chemistry with its cast, a mythos in place and excellent pacing, editing and music and tons and tons of story within just the premiere. For those of us who are watching beautifully crafted shows, like Supernatural and True Blood and expect that level of craftsmanship in Vampire Diaries, well they will be disappointed. I do wonder if Thursday night was the right night to have Vampire Diaries. I know the CW probably wants to get the audience that was watching Smallville, but will it survive against Survivor, the granddaddy of reality shows?

    I do think that the "evil" bother Damon/Damian actually has presence while "good" brother Stephan needs a good shot of testosterone. I don't think he was even that good looking.

    Click to see Spoiler:
    Initially the VD premiere was worse then Twilight, the movie and I thought that was lame, but it has more story possibilities and potential then the initial Twilight movie....and VD the premiere ended better/stronger then Twilight the movie.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-10-2009 at 11:48 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.