+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Food Network Shows

New Food Network Shows

$10 Dinners with Melissa D'Arabian

I don't have anything in common with sorority girls, and I am usually jealous of people who got to go to France, but for some reason I don't hate Melissa. She doesn't annoy us like Rachel Ray does, for instance, even though most of Melissa's tips are as simple as Rachel's.
    I was just watching a classic Julia Child on public TV, and thought Julia would not have been able to get through the selection process nowadays - same with Emeril's early shows! - so it is brutal. Melissa deserves a chance to improve. Already her second episode is better than the first. So far in her second episode she has avoided other FN stars' catchphrases (oops, until the very end "I think I'm going in for more" - sounded Rachel-like?) and is looking at the camera more.
    I think the Food Network could have given her a better start, like they did with Guy Fieri - can't watch him, he is too "over the top." Are they writing Melissa's script? I'm not sure I like how she said she "created" some of those things, like the steaming the potatoes trick that we use on Costco potstickers, or the glazed carrots "recipe" in the first episode that I myself also "created" in the past, as I'm sure lots of other people have. If they are making her say that to try and give her some "authority," that is unnecessary and even backfires a little. But like I said, for whatever reason (maybe the cute little blonde chipmuck look is just non-threatening to other women?), I like her and want her to succeed!
    I think it's funny they gave her a budget show and yet her cookware looks very expensive. Is it? And where did she get that cute glass measuring cup? I want one!

What Would Brian Boitano Make?

This show has a promising premise. I am waiting to watch this with hubby we are hoping they will knock it out of the park. He found this link, includes the South Park background and a funny bit about Guy... Really, What Would Brian Boitano Make? - SFist
    Last edited by Harvest; 08-23-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Re: New Food Network Shows

I saw Melissa's show today...I think she just needs to get comfortable with the whole process. But she doesn't irritate me anywhere near as much as some other folks on Food Network do, and I like the stuff she cooks. (I missed the first episode...I usually don't watch TV during the day, but I just happened to look at the clock at 12:30 today, which reminded me).

We just figured out the potato trick about a month ago (although, as we discussed today, we didn't do the water or oven or butter parts, so you decide if we actually figured it out or not :-). I probably would have figured out the water eventually, but the potatoes have been coming out so good!)

And I watched Brian's show, too. Some of his recipes sound good...I want to try that red pepper relish and the crostini? Would be a hit here because it includes so many favorites. I think he just has to get used to it, too.

Brian's appetizers looked yummy!

FORT Fanatic

I think Melissa is fantastic! I have really enjoyed her show so far. Her food looks really good. I think she is a natural on camera.

I watched Melissa's show yesterday and was puzzled as to why she was making a dinner for 4 using only 3 chicken breasts. First thought was, that's all that would fit in her fry pan and this was for demonstration purposes only. Then at the end, she sliced the chicken for plating. For me, it would be much better if each person had their own piece of chicken. The breasts she used appeared quite large. If a strict budget is to be considered, I would find smaller breasts so each person would have an individual piece. I didn't care for the leek/cabbage slaw at all and would never consider making it. There's something about an anise/licorice flavor in food that is a turnoff for me. Was also wondering why, after stressing "crunchy potatoes" several times, she put orange sauce on them at the end. That takes away the crispness. I think Melissa is doing a nice job with the show and seems rather quite at ease. I've given it a "season pass" on my Tivo, not to miss any future shows.

I watched Melissa's show yesterday, I missed her first episode. She was not my favorite on Food Network Star, but I thought she did a good job. Her chicken looked really good and I want to try that glaze she made for it. I enjoyed some of the tips she provided during the show, I plan to watch her show.

I loved Brian's show, that was so funny! He has a wonderful sense of humor, his reference to the best rose ceremony ever cracked me up! His appetizers looked really yummy. Since Melissa's show and Brian's show are back to back I will watch both and turn off Foodnetwork when Big Daddy comes on.

I forgot to tape her show yesterday. Does anyone known when they repeat the episode?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I can't stand Melissa. I've tried to watch her, but I can't get through an entire episode.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25;3677000;
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I can't stand Melissa. I've tried to watch her, but I can't get through an entire episode.
    I wouldn't feel bad if I were you.
    I can't get through most of the programs on the FN - Guy, Sandra, Claire R., Ingrid, Aaron, Ace of Cakes, and numerous others. I find most of the "stars" too over the top.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

We really like Brian's show. He's funny, and his appetizers are interesting.

+ Reply to Thread