+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash Forward, ABC

Re: Flash Forward, ABC

More importantly in the book
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the brother kills himself because he has a dream of being a big musician and the future shows that he didn't make it. He realizes that most artists/musicians would not continue if they knew their dreams wouldn't come true, so he did it for all artists, not just for himself.
    This is where the time difference between the show and the book makes a bigger impact.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3719832;
    Really curious about Dylan & Charlie's Flashforwards... Charlie seems to have had a bad experience in her flashforward involving D Gibbons, but also knew Dylan by sight... so were they both kidnapped by D Gibbons?? But Dylan also recognized Charlie's mom Olivia, so how does that all fit in? Very interesting. If Charlie is kidnapped, would that explain why Mark Benford starts drinking again?
    And really, if he saw a vision that he was working at the office on April 29th, and men are trying to kill him, why wouldn't he just make sure that he didn't go there that night? And now he has a warning that he will be tempted to drink again, shouldn't that make him more on his guard?
    Also interested to see if the other FBI agent (Dimitri?) can prevent his own murder (didn't he play Sulu in Star Trek 2009?).
    Yes. I just read an interview with him in People. He was also Harold (in Harold and Kumar), and he was the MILF kid from American Pie. He was talking about he was glad he got to play Sulu because for so long he was just "the MILF guy" and then he was "Harold"!!

On your other question, I just wanted to add my two cents, FWIW, as a recovering alcoholic myself. We are always "on guard" so to speak with regard to not taking that first drink. But with an alcoholic, your nature is to drink - it's just that simple. Through the recovery process, you work to learn how to live life on life's terms and not rely on alcohol or other drugs to get you through. But even today, I still think about it - that is what my brain is programmed to do. Good day, bad day, boring day, etc., it doesn't matter. As much as I would like to believe that I will never drink again - if a craving hits me at a time when I am vulnerable, I know it is possible. So all I can do is surround myself with healthy people and make sure I have a support network in place to make sure that when that happens, I reach for the phone (or one of those people), rather than the bottle. At least in the show, it is possible he becomes so wrapped up in solving this case that he lets his network (sponsor, meetings, etc.) fall to the wayside, so it isn't there when his "moment" happens.

I also have to admit, quite honestly, that my daughter means everything in the world to me. Before I was a mother, I truly didn't understand how much one little person can change every aspect of your life completely. I have told my husband repeatedly that I think I have finally found something I couldn't stay sober through - if something happened to her, I really am not sure I could handle it. I know there are plenty of people who have - but I can not even imagine living life for one day without her! So we all have our limits - and if the trigger really is related to his kid, I have to admit I could understand that. Hope this helps - sorry to get so deep! Back to the show!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3719851;
    More importantly in the book
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the brother kills himself because he has a dream of being a big musician and the future shows that he didn't make it. He realizes that most artists/musicians would not continue if they knew their dreams wouldn't come true, so he did it for all artists, not just for himself.
    This is where the time difference between the show and the book makes a bigger impact.
    Right, that was the person I meant in my spoiler, had forgotten the details--it's been a while!

KatesMom---Always good to have "real life" perspectives in here! Congrats on how well you are doing, and I truly hope you are never tested. I agree, that would be just about the worst thing to live through...and I say that even though my own kids are well into adulthood.

I guess I just wonder if people start changing their futures, it would have an impact on other's FF, so how could they all stay the same? For instance if the agent is able to prevent his death, wouldn't it be safe to assume that he might be there with the other agent in the office on the 29th when the gun people break in?
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat;3720128;
    I guess I just wonder if people start changing their futures, it would have an impact on other's FF, so how could they all stay the same? For instance if the agent is able to prevent his death, wouldn't it be safe to assume that he might be there with the other agent in the office on the 29th when the gun people break in?
    Exactly! That is going to be one of the interesting parts of this show. Some people really want their FF to come true (like the sponsor who saw his daughter alive), while others don't. So what happens when one person is working to make his FF come true and another is working to make his not come true. Remember the movie Back to the Future - about how one little change in the past can have far-reaching results for more than just the person who effects the change. Especially now, with everyone in the world more inter-connected than ever - no one person can take an action without it having far reaching results. So, it will be interesting to see how they play it out. Of course, the whole other side to this is that there are apparently bad guys here - so to what extent were they involved and how much control do they have over what really happens?

That is what is so interesting regarding Free Will and Destiny. How does one change, affect others and does it make a change in the end?
    Certainly the people that commit suicide, make a change on their own life, which affects others but to what degree?

If you prevent your own murder, for how long will the grace period last? Do you really get a second chance, or will it be snatched up a week later in a freak accident? In other word, if you are destined to die, can it really be prevented; or do you merely by yourself some time until it can be worked out an alternate way?

Love shows that make me think!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Just a thought, all these themes have been explored before on the big screen:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3720178;
    That is what is so interesting regarding Free Will and Destiny. How does one change, affect others and does it make a change in the end?
    Certainly the people that commit suicide, make a change on their own life, which affects others but to what degree?
    See "The Butterfly Effect"
    (Which, for me, seems like it is perfectly applicable to this show, all it takes is just ONE person to do something different and change their FF and everyones future is different, that is why I kinda have trouble believing/caring about what the show does unless it is truly groundbreaking).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3720178;
    If you prevent your own murder, for how long will the grace period last? Do you really get a second chance, or will it be snatched up a week later in a freak accident? In other word, if you are destined to die, can it really be prevented; or do you merely by yourself some time until it can be worked out an alternate way?
    Again, explored in "Final Destination" and its many sequels. To sum it up: death gets you, it is destiny.

I just find it interesting that these themes have been explored before in movies. Perhaps the reason I like LOST more is because it is so new and interesting (and we don't even know enough about what exactly is going on to even have these discussions--ha!)

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3719832;
    Also interested to see if the other FBI agent (Dimitri?) can prevent his own murder (didn't he play Sulu in Star Trek 2009?).
    THANK you! Was just asking DH "where do we know this guy from?" John Cho was Sulu in this year's ST.

We were wondering about the impact of so many people changing their futures, as well. What might it lead to?

I've only seen the 2nd episode (last week's), and have a question. What did Olivia's husband put into the fireplace at the end ofthe episode? They were hugging after she asked him if she did the right thing to tell him about her FF, and he said yes. Was it the doll that the other agent found that looks like the one he saw in his FF?
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

+ Reply to Thread