+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 93 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: The Good Wife

Re: The Good Wife

I like seeing Diane and Alicia becoming friends as well as Kalinda and Alicia getting back to their friendship. Excellent episode.

Maybe Wendy told Will she was really after Peter in an effort to get Will to let his guard down thinking that she's not investingating him after all.

I didn't find it believable at all when Alicia told Owen that she didn't love Will. It just didn't ring true after their long history together back to college days and recent steaminess. It seemed like Alicia and Will viewed each other as "the one that got away" for many, many years and then Alicia suddenly said, "eh, nevermind." I'm not buying it!

So, on a another note, my husband finally watched this show with me for the first time this episode. He really liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I like seeing Diane and Alicia becoming friends as well as Kalinda and Alicia getting back to their friendship. Excellent episode.

I didn't find it believable at all when Alicia told Owen that she didn't love Will. It just didn't ring true after their long history together back to college days and recent steaminess. It seemed like Alicia and Will viewed each other as "the one that got away" for many, many years and then Alicia suddenly said, "eh, nevermind." I'm not buying it.
    In a TV Guide article, which had quotes from the writers of the show, it was said that they could see the relationship between Alicia and Kalinda improving but never going back to what it once was. However, they said that it could hopefully end up stronger....whatever that means.

I am not sure where they intend to take Alicia's relationship with Will, other than to at least put it on hold. It is hard for me to tell exactly "what" Alicia feels for Will, but she might not be "in love" with the older version of Will....as opposed to how she felt about him back in their college days. The writers said that she is very conflicted with how she views Will and their sneaking around to have an affair. That just goes against the grain for Alicia, and she is not setting the example that she wants to set for her children. After all, they already have one parent who had affairs that derailed their lives.

The scene that was shown with Alicia picking up one of her sexy gowns while Grace was still missing looked like a reality check for her. She felt at that very moment that all of her priorities were out of balance. And she has never really wanted her children to be introduced as a part of her relationship with Will, so she has always kept it hidden from them. So, I am not sure whether Alicia ever saw a future with her and Will in it....something other than an affair.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, Wendy Scott Carr has a lot more reason to have it in for Peter than for Will, and Will's firm (except for Eli!). She did seem kind of evil though!

I agree, Alicia might have some love feelings for the young Will, but he's not the same guy now. Not even clear he's more ethical than Peter. There have been several moments where Alicia has seen Will do unethical things.... So while she will miss the excitement of an affair she won't miss Will in the sense of a future true love being blocked. Or so I read it.
    Also glad to see Kalinda being worked back in, and loved the reaming of Cary over her.

I think that Wendy Scott-Carr is probably capable of being just as corrupt as Peter was, but she just has this "holier than thou" attitude that only masks her ulterior motives. She has shown that she holds a grudge and will go to any lengths to get even. In my mind this makes her just as dangerous as Peter, and I would imagine that there are people in her past that she has retaliated against - possibly even getting previous co-workers fired or made so uncomfortable that they had to quit. There is something very unlikable about Wendy, and I bet that she does not have many real friends or people around her who really like her.

I wish that the writers would take a different direction with Cary's storyline. I happen to like him but don't like what they have done with his and Kalinda's relationship this season and certainly don't like him with Dana. I liked it better when he and Kalinda were on more "friendly" terms, and there was no hint of any kind of sexual tension between them. I have never understood why they were trying to put those two together. Kalinda is so open about the fact that she is a bisexual and has never given me the idea that she was the least bit interested in Cary for anything other than extracting information from him for Lockhart/Gardner.

So, I had mixed feelings about Cary having to release Kalinda to Alicia. On the one hand, he was delaying her release from jail, but wasn't what her firm was doing in order to get information from the jurors - in an attempt to get the verdict thrown out - unscrupulous? I don't know that much about the law, but that did seem like harrassment at the very least. And what about them getting someone from the court to give them the trash from the jurors deliberations so that they could look for some loopholes? Alicia was a part of all of that, so how did she come out looking better than Cary in this case?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm pretty sure what they did was not illegal in any technical sense... I've always heard that once something is in the trash it is fair game....so all they did was get it sooner than if they had to do dumpster diving behind the courthouse. Also they were being very careful not to harass the jurors while still pushing as hard as they could. On the issue of whether it was immoral to try to overturn the verdict...remember, they convicted the defendant of first degree murder, which requires premeditation, which not even the DA's office thought was the case, much less the judge. That's why the DA's office people were upset at the start, because the only two options were guilty of first degree or innocent. So it would have been more immoral to let a verdict like that stand.

There was absolutely nothing illegal about what Lockhart Gardner was doing after the guilty verdict was read (getting the jury room garbage from the bailiff was a bit shady but not illegal). Jurors are often contacted after a verdict. Especially a surprising one. The jurors have the right to refuse to talk. If the defense lawyers persist in trying to get them to talk after being told no, it could conceivably tip into harassment but nothing we saw was even close. I don't think someone who just participated in reaching a decision that sent someone to jail for the rest of her life should be all that surprised that someone wants to talk to them about what went into the decision.

If anyone's conduct was unethical, it was Dana (and to a lesser extent Cary). All she cared about was winning not whether the verdict was correct. Prosecutors represent the people. They have a very tricky obligation to relentlessly pursue conviction of the guilty not an obligation to secure convictions regardless of the merits of their case. Dana knew that the jury's verdict was out of the blue but went to Wendy Scott-Carr as soon as the judge tipped his hand to try to preserve her victory without regard to whether the result was correct.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Thanks, PWS and Mariner for your posts. It makes more sense to me if I take all of that into consideration. Like I said, I don't have much knowledge of how the judicial system works, and I actually thought that it was illegal for the defense lawyers to talk to the jurors before the sentencing. But, I see your point.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Hmm, sentencing, good point... the judge did say we'll all meet back here in X days for the sentencing....but maybe only the judge is involved in the sentencing. Some states I think the judge decides and some the jury.

Except where the death penalty is in play, it's the judge who does sentencing in every state I can think of.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I still dont like Dana. I doubt I will warm up to her character either

+ Reply to Thread