+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Drop Dead Diva on Lifetime

Re: Drop Dead Diva on Lifetime

I'm not a fb member so I wasn't aware that someone else was thinking my crazy thoughts too.
    Other than the possibility of Stacy and Owen getting married, I have been disappointed with the final season.
    I agree, I wouldn't think that Jackson Hurst would leave during the last few episodes. But if he did, I'm not going to blame him or the other actor's , it's as you say, the show runner's fault. Maybe we should call them the show ruiner's instead.
    I hope after the finale, I'm not wondering why I wasted time on this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    After all that time, I'd be shocked if it was Jackson Hurst's decision to leave. I would think that he'd want to stick with the series for a few more episodes to see it to the end. I'm choosing to blame the showrunners for this because I really like Jackson.

The show was canceled after season 4, so I'm not sure what the whole contract situation was for these last two seasons.
    Oh, it was Season 4 when it was cancelled? Then I don't know what the hell happened and why they've done what they did. (shakes head)

Actually, all of the really stupid stuff that's made no sense and almost made me give up on the show has happened since the end of Season 4. I wonder if the writers (and maybe some of the show runners) changed at that point and came into a show where they just looked at it as a job and didn't care much about the characters. It would explain a lot. I may go do some research at IMDB or somewhere and see if that's the case.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 06-18-2014 at 02:56 AM.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Yep, it was after season 4 That's why it was crazy that they renewed it for season 6. I think most people (me included) thought sure season 5 would be the last one.

It really does seem like a whole new crew took over. It's like the tone of the show changed. I miss all the silly musical numbers and the fun of the show in the early seasons. Maybe the musical numbers had to go away in the budget cuts the showrunners had to make in order to keep the show on the air

I've been frustrated on and off over the seasons, but have stuck with it because the show had so much potential and because I really like the cast. I guess I felt like they knew what the fans really wanted it and would eventually reward us for our loyalty. I can't believe they're ending the show the way it seems like they're ending it. It really is a slap in the face to all the loyal fans who helped keep the show on the air.
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

For those of you old enough to have watched the original Dallas series that changed on a dime with the dream season fiasco, it looks to me like DDD is teetering on going down the same dumb path.

It makes no sense that Jane doesn't acknowledge that she has friends who care and are just looking out for her. Even more, she's openly hostile to them. I think the speculation is correct that some of the lead actors couldn't film this additional season, but I also think some of the writers had new obligations as well.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I doubt it has anything to do with prior commitments, at least in the case of Jackson Hurst. I'm sure he knew at the beginning of the season what his season would look like and that allowed him to book other work. The actor who played Jay was pretty open about being released from the show after season 4 for budgetary reasons. I'd guess that Margaret Cho is doing more stand-up, so she's the only one I can think of who would have asked for time away from the show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Since I don't care for the direction the show has taken, my ideal ending would be that Deb survives her crash and real Jane survives her gunshot. They meet in the hospital and Deb, with the knowledge of her crazy dream, makes it her mission to guide Jane to Owen since there would be no reason for real Jane to be pining for Grayson. Then, Fred shows up, and he and Stacy hit it off. Everyone winds up with who they should be with. The End.

This would all take an additional episode and since we won't have that I can only hope the real ending is just as satisfying as the one I just created, lol.

Hmm, and expanding on this idea, Deb and Jane are sharing the same room, because you know, budget cuts in hospitals, and Fred is their doctor!
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 06-19-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I did some quick research at IMDB, and it looks like the creator/head writer has been there the whole time. There are a couple of main writers who have been there pretty consistently, and others have popped in and out, but there isn't a definite break in who was doing what that occurred two years ago, so there's no real excuse for the craziness, lack of continuity, or failure to know what an ideal ending would be from the fans' perspective. They're basically just jerking us around because they feel like it. Or so it appears.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

So....maybe a psychotic break?
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Why should a writer kowtow to the fans? Sure, the fans may want a story to turn out a certain way, but the fans are not the writers.
    Heck, life doesn't always turn out as we want.
    Why should a TV show?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Considering the fact that it was the fans who saved the show - and the showrunners have acknowledged that - it seems logical to me that they would then want to make those fans happy. If they tick off the fans, they lose viewers and then what's the point? Even if this show is ending, they will, presumably, want to create another show. If this one ends with crappy ratings, they're less likely to get a network to want to buy another of their projects.

Also, they've said the ending will make the fans happy.

This isn't art. It's a silly, fun summer series. Why would they not want to make the fans happy?

+ Reply to Thread