+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Philanthropist

The Philanthropist

Anyone else watch this last night?

I was really looking forward to it. The preview ads looked interesting.
    Unfortunately, the show itself was a big letdown for me.
    The main character's accent was a little hard to understand, & I didn't like that flash-back gimmick of telling the story to the bartender. I couldn't tell what was when, with all the jumping around.

I did like the end when the kid from the beginning reunited with him.

I'll give it another week to see if it gets any better & if that flash-back thing continues (I hope not).

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: The Philanthropist

It lookd good from the previews and I meant to watch it but forgot. And what's up with the simple sounding show titles of all these new shows all of a sudden? The Listener, The Unusuals, The Mentalist...now The Philanthropist...?
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I tried watching the other night. I happen to like the main character - I believe he was in Millions from Danny Boyle - I'm used to his accent, though. And I have so missed Jesse L. Martin from TV. I tried, however, watching a few minutes and I just could not get engaged. So, perhaps, it was the flashback format. I'll try again and hope it gets better.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I was really looking forward to it also, but the way they handled the backstory was so fragmented that, yes, I was disappointed. But I will leave it on my DVR to record for awhile in hopes it has an easeir to understand story line -
    cause - gosh darn it - I just love James Purefoy. Fell in love with him when he played Prince Edward in A Knights Tale.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

I kept flipping back and forth...it couldn't hold my attention. It was not interesting at all.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Fopr me it just really grabbed mny attention with the almost-drowning scene--which moved me to tears--and my attention never wavered.

I do have some special interests in Africa--having studied the cultures of the area he was in--so that may have helped me.

I found everything about his son incredibly moving--and was startled to find myself sobbing when his son appeared and led him to the village.

And I'm not really a very openly emotional person either.
    I'll definitely watch this again.

I thought there were moments that were particularly drawing. I loved the end of it, but I found it to be so very boring. It could not hold my attention at all. I really wanted to love it, but I will give it another chance.

I liked it, I'll continue to watch as long as it isn't the same every episode.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I missed it. Not sure I could buy into the whole philanthropist, action-hero, save-the-world, kinda dude. Don't think he exists. I'll reserve my comments until I've watched a few episodes.

=^.^=
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I liked episode 2 better than #1, but still not sure.
    I understood the accent better, maybe it's growing on me. This time, however, instead of the flash back jumping around, it was that back & forth with the boardroom drama. I didn't like that either .

I think the show would be a lot better if they just picked a storyline & followed it through to the end. That dual-story jumping back & forth is distracting & irritating.

I'm still not giving up on the show. It has a lot of good moments & a feel-good ending. I like that. It has a lot of potential.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast