+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fall TV 2009

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Fall TV 2009

Not a fan of Leno (or Letterman either). In fact, I rarely watch any of the shows that come on after the news . . . . mostly because I can't stay awake that long.

Although I don't think it was necessarily the "cheap" way out (Leno's salary is huge, I'm sure), but it was definitely the EASY way out. Who needs to finds actors/actresses, design sets and create dialogue for 5 different shows when one man can do it all!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I kind of like it, as I won't have to "make choices" anymore...no interest in Leno at all. And if something else I like gets replaced by football,etc., I can just watch one of the many tapes that piled up when there was more competition at 10.
    Mondays I'll watch Castle, Thursdays I'll watch Mentalist and tapes or read a book other nights!
    Last edited by PWS; 07-12-2009 at 06:34 PM.

I agree PWS, it's one less channel/hour to compete with for other shows because I have NO interest in watching the Leno hour 4 nights or 5 nights a week. I think NBC is hoping it's going to be greater than it's going to wind up being. I think they're hurting for "late night" ratings and will do anything to keep Leno.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25;3563267;
    Any one know what's wrong with Maura Tierney? I can't find anything on the internet. I really like her. I hope she's okay.
    I just read that she's said she has a breast tumor and that is what is being evaluated as to whether it is benign or malignant. The article said that this statement came from Maura who decided to reveal it because the announcement of her "evaluation" was so vague that it gave way to much speculation and she wanted to clarify it.

I hope, of course, that they find it's benign.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

That is what I read yesterday too Florimel. I am definitely hoping for it to be benign.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;3565681;
    I agree PWS, it's one less channel/hour to compete with for other shows because I have NO interest in watching the Leno hour 4 nights or 5 nights a week. I think NBC is hoping it's going to be greater than it's going to wind up being. I think they're hurting for "late night" ratings and will do anything to keep Leno.
    I agree they have knocked themselves out of the competition for viewers at this point. I think they are over estimating the draw that Leno is going to end up having or that a variety show will have. If it was one night a week I'd give it a maybe but every week night is a bit much.

I wonder how long they will end up beating the dead horse. Or if they will cancel it quickly. I'm yet to meet anyone really excited about nightly Leno doses.

Maura Tierney Needs a Doctor for Breast Cancer

Maura Tierney, the 44-year old actress who is best known for her role as Abby Lockhart on the TV drama "ER," has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She will soon undergo surgery to remove a breast tumor. It appears that the actress discovered a lump during a routine BSE, saying "I have discovered a tumor in my breast which requires surgery." When trying to clarify her health problem, Ms. Tierney stated that, "I will not know either my exact diagnosis or course of treatment until that surgery is performed." Maura Tierney said that her doctors advised her "this is a very treatable condition," and so she's "very optimistic as to the outcome." I hope this hint means that whenever her diagnosis is revealed, it is early-stage breast cancer, which may be treated with surgery, radiation, and hormonal therapy.
    Maura Tierney is a supporter of breast health awareness, having given her support to the Komen Foundation in 2005, when she joined her fellow"ER" docs in Ford Motor Co.'s “Tie It On for the Cure” silk scarf campaign. Komen's ads for the scarf, which was designed by Lilly Pulitzer, featured the Women of ER - Maura Tierney, Laura Innes, Sherry Stringfield, Parminder Nagra and Linda Cardellini.

Ms. Tierney was set to star in NBC's new series "Parenthood," due to hit the air in September, but production has been delayed for eight weeks, until more is known about her diagnosis and treatment plans. Ms. Tierney has worked in television, feature films, and Broadway productions. She is a versatile actress, having acted in comedy and drama, and has been nominated and awarded for her film and TV roles. Ms. Tierney would like to be private about her health, but NBC's press release contained wording that apparently caused alarm. The press release said simply that the actress was "undergoing medical evaluation for an undisclosed illness."
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3564884;
    Not a fan of Leno (or Letterman either). In fact, I rarely watch any of the shows that come on after the news . . . . mostly because I can't stay awake that long.

Although I don't think it was necessarily the "cheap" way out (Leno's salary is huge, I'm sure), but it was definitely the EASY way out. Who needs to finds actors/actresses, design sets and create dialogue for 5 different shows when one man can do it all!
    I'm pretty sure that a Leno variety show was actually cheaper than creating five different hour long dramas or whatever (sets x5, casts x5, etc gets expensive quickly) and that was part of the impetus for creating the Leno hour, the other thing was that NBC didn't want Leno going up against Conan on another network so they had to do what they could to keep him in house.

To say nothing of the fact that NBC is hurting for programming/ratings and they probably wanted to spend the bulk of their money elsewhere. Scripted shows are expensive, which is why reality became a popular offering (and especially a popular summer offering), and the Leno show will fill five hours of NBC's schedule relatively inexpensively. To be considered a top NBC show these days, well, it's a pretty low bar to clear.

And I'd watch it in a heartbeat over much of the drivel that's on at 10 pm these days.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 07-15-2009 at 01:07 AM.

I have always liked Jay Leno, but a talk show is not prime time material. I will be watching scripted shows on other networks at that time.

I will continue to watch Chuck on NBC when it starts its new season because I love that show, but that's about it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

MRD

Well the only shows I watch on the networks are Two and a Half Men and Lost. Everything I try new, ends up being cancelled and I have just lost interest in CSI and Law and Order, Survivor, TAR and DAncing with the Stars.

I also like House and Psych. Mental has grown on me this summer. But my must see tv has dwindled a lot in the last few years. Just not much on that I like.

We also watch Ghost Hunters, but not a huge fan of GHI because I can't stand the guy that leads the team.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast