+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Merlin

FORT Newbie

Re: Merlin on NBC

i am a fan of it now

I just got done watching Episode 2 from last week.
    I don't really know much about that period of time, but the inconsistencies were really bugging me.
    I realy doubt the expression "What a creep" was around then. It stood out pretty bad.
    The lovely paned glass windows weren't around then either.
    They also didn't have such beautiful bright vibrant colors in clothing: Oranges, Yellows, Purples & Bright Greens.
    Some of the clothing was a bit modern too.
    Lastly, when Arthur was about to fight his 1st opponent, it showed him putting on his helmet securely on his bare head with his chainmail hood around his neck. After he defeated his opponent, he removed his helmet & the hood was fully up covering his head.

I realize this isn't supposed to be an accurate documentary on the times. It's just a fun, fictional TV show, so aside from this kind of thing I really liked the show, the characters, & will definitely watch it again. I'll just have to overlook the small stuff.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

it's originally a BBC production (all 13 episodes ran there in the fall) and they talk pretty freely about how they are painting the story in a more modern way that will be criticized by 'purists' of the legend/myth. i look forward to seeing how gwen goes from servant girl to queen.

also, it's been compared to smallville in it's tone/story direction.

i'm pretty sure it was a huge hit in britain and that they plan to do more seasons of it.

I'm enjoying it. It's a great little summer affair. I love that Merlin is a somewhat awkward guy who's not a self-assured hunk! It makes him so much more endearing.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Unfortunately I read yesterday that it did not do very well ratings-wise....

Miss scarlet, I had the same thoughts about it. I was also wondering where was the jousting? It's weird because I am also reading Timeline by Michael Crichton and the main characters go back in time to what seems like it would be the same period. The dialogue really bothers me, I get trying to make it more modern, more easy for us common folk to understand, but they could ease up on the slang!

BeckQOC, I get the smallville vibe from it too. Probably doesn't hurt that Merlin looks like Superman.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;3533682;
    I'm enjoying it. It's a great little summer affair. I love that Merlin is a somewhat awkward guy who's not a self-assured hunk! It makes him so much more endearing.
    I totally love this show and hope it continues. I don't really care about consistency as long as I'm being entertained. It kind of freaks me out that Merlin looks EXACTLY like my high school boyfriend. All the way down to the funny little ears that stick out. I think he's just so awkward and dorky (exactly the things that I loved about my boyfriend ) that it makes him cute and adorable.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

I think I'll look up this show, it seems interesting, is it PG enough for my 9 yr old?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Newbie

Yes it is PG enough as long as you don't mind the King sentencing people to death by different means such as burning.... they don't really show anything to violent in my opinion.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3578711;
    I think I'll look up this show, it seems interesting, is it PG enough for my 9 yr old?
    My 8 year old will watch it with me.. but then agian, she will watch Weeds and the Sapranos too.

But yes its very family friendly.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast