+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Army Wives - Season 3

Re: Army Wives - Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think the writers need to have their head examined. Kidney damage usually takes at least 10 years to appear in a diabetic with poor control. Normally, it takes about 15-20 years! Their sorry explanation was just stupid and inaccurate. It's stuff like that which is not helpful to educating the public about Type I Diabetes. Shame on them. Here's a link;
    Kidney Disease of Diabetes - National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25 View Post
    I was on dialysis for 6 weeks 2 years ago (a dr screwed up and I went into kidney failure). I hate to nit-pick about tv shows, but it Claudia Joy was going to have several dialysis appointments, they wouldn't stick her each time. They would insert ports either in her chest (like me) or in her arm. The shunts would heal and there wouldn't be extensive bruising. But I guess the effect of tv is better with the bruising. They did get 1 thing right...dialysis isn't fun; however, it isn't painful either.
    Thank you both. Do you think that perhaps because of the rapid rise of Diabetes they are trying to "frighten" people into taking it more seriously by over dramatizing? I'll bet that episode sent a lot of diabetics into research mode and had others vowing to control their blood sugar better.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Thank you both. Do you think that perhaps because of the rapid rise of Diabetes they are trying to "frighten" people into taking it more seriously by over dramatizing? I'll bet that episode sent a lot of diabetics into research mode and had others vowing to control their blood sugar better.
    I'm not sure if the writers are thinking of others when writing their scripts, but perhaps so. They did try to inform with the HIV storyline and that's good, but they need to improve on their diabetes subject.

I do wish they would really research something before tackling it. When they first wrote that CJ would have Type I diabetes, I cringed. They do not understand how much time and energy goes into managing Type I diabetes. It's constant and does not lend itself to taking up time on a one hour drama show. They bit off more than they can chew IMO. The same thing happened with the little girl on Brothers and Sisters and the daughter on Body of Proof. You can't just write it in and mention it once in awhile. IT doesn't work that way.

One problem with misleading the public though is that they get this wrong impression. When I was first diagnosed as a Type I, what I hated the most was the horrified looks from people I told about it. They would look in horror and say things, like OH, aren't you scared of losing your limbs or going blind? They were very insensitive and it bothered me. The problem is they were misinformed. My great aunt lived with Type I diabetes from the time she was 30 until she was in her 80's! She lost no organs, sight or limbs.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Well, since they are not trying to produce an educational documentary, they write for the drama...which is the business that they are in. People who want to know more can research the problems on their own. I'm not being cranky, just being real. If you peak my interest in something, I am going to go looking for more information. That's fair, if you ask me. They only have less than 1hour to get their story told, so they can't waste time dilly-dallying with heaviness that most people don't watch the show for. 'Body of Proof' is suffering from too much heaviness in delivering information....even though it does work for me. I find myself feeling sorry for people who are wanting to watch it, but just can't get into it....welll, not really, since they just find something else to watch/do.

I was shocked to find out that I had hit 'renal' on the head!! I guess 'the doctor' was in, that night!!
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Actually I do know that Type 1 takes a lot of time and energy. But I also don't know enough as I have always had difficulty understanding the what's, why's, and mechanics of Diabetes 1 or 2. So I actually have been trying to learn more and I actually did go and look some things up after that episode.

I do want to say that I have the greatest admiration for those who do manage Type 1 ... and live just regular lives.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Well, since they are not trying to produce an educational documentary, they write for the drama...which is the business that they are in. People who want to know more can research the problems on their own. I'm not being cranky, just being real. If you peak my interest in something, I am going to go looking for more information. That's fair, if you ask me. They only have less than 1 hour to get their story told, so they can't waste time dilly-dallying with heaviness that most people don't watch the show for. 'Body of Proof' is suffering from too much heaviness in delivering information....even though it does work for me. I find myself feeling sorry for people who are wanting to watch it, but just can't get into it....welll, not really, since they just find something else to watch/do.
    Totally agree. I'm all for accuracy and realism in tv and movies, et al, but I do understand and appreciate that this is ENTERTAINMENT, and there are certain constraints. Much of our entertainment does teach, and that's good --- but everything can't be exactly accurate, even though it can be very frustrating to many of us, especially when we 'know' about the subject matter and disagree with how it's being portrayed. Fortunately, there are documentaries, and science and health and all kinds of other 'teaching' kinds of shows/films that are very well done. Those types of shows/films should be accurate --- but the subject we're discussing is a TV drama.

FORT Fanatic

Yesterday's episode was awful. I'm not really sure what the writers are doing. I don't care about the new "Army wives" and I really, really don't care about the Clarks. I care about the Holdens, the Sherwoods, the Burtons, the LeBlancs and yes, the Morans.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I know. The writers do that every now and then, focusing on new characters. But, I have to admit (grudgingly) that some of them have grown on me. Like, for example, Charlie, who I'm starting to like a lot. I'm so glad she revealed that she has a partner, because I was afraid she was going to develop feelings for Roland.

The other focus in the last episode was really disturbing to me. You just know that one of 'our guys' on the mission in Africa is going to get badly hurt or killed.
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I know. The writers do that every now and then, focusing on new characters. But, I have to admit (grudgingly) that some of them have grown on me. Like, for example, Charlie, who I'm starting to like a lot. I'm so glad she revealed that she has a partner, because I was afraid she was going to develop feelings for Roland.

The other focus in the last episode was really disturbing to me. You just know that one of 'our guys' on the mission in Africa is going to get badly hurt or killed.

It reminded me of when Jeremy was killed. I kept waiting for the worst to happen.
    I was wondering if they were planning on a donor kidney for Claudia Joy.
    Debb70 likes this.

I was disappointed that not much at all happened. I'm still getting all nervous about the Kellie Martin character.

IMO it's strange for CJ to just be out of the picture midway through the season.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I just knew that the Mingi(sp?) character was going to attempt suicide. It was so not good how the catty,tacky RFG people were talking to her. Nasty witches.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread