+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 403
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Army Wives - Season 3

  1. #91
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    24,994

    Re: Army Wives - Season 3

    Joan couldn't figure out how to buckle the belt, I thought. It's definitely more than fading eyesight. Time to see the neurologist!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  2. #92
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,798

    Re: Army Wives - Season 3

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3945761;
    Joan couldn't figure out how to buckle the belt, I thought. It's definitely more than fading eyesight. Time to see the neurologist!
    OH, I see. Yes, as I thought. Maybe it's a brain tumor. That would make for a interesting storyline of her surviving.

  3. #93
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    84

    Re: Army Wives - Season 3

    How about some shrapnel in Joan's brain from the last blast? A small piece could have entered her brain and went undetected, then shifted slightly, now causing neurological symptoms.

    Gee - if it is MS or some other disease I'll be disappointed - we already have too many major diseases, accidents and deaths on this show.

  4. #94
    FORT Fogey Imperfect1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,985

    Re: Army Wives - Season 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Annika;3947072;
    How about some shrapnel in Joan's brain from the last blast? A small piece could have entered her brain and went undetected, then shifted slightly, now causing neurological symptoms.

    Gee - if it is MS or some other disease I'll be disappointed - we already have too many major diseases, accidents and deaths on this show.
    I stand corrected, although the symptoms of MS are pretty much what Joan is exhibiting. But shrapnel in the brain! That makes the most sense, and is probably exactly what it is. Good idea, Annika!

  5. #95
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,798

    Re: Army Wives - Season 3

    The writers had Claudia Joy get diabetes. I don't think they did a very good job explaining the difference in Type I and Type II. Obviously, she had Type I. Since then they have not demonstrated what a full time job having Type I Diabetes is. I know because I have it.

    Because you take insulin, you are regularly checking your blood sugar, especially when you are first diagnosed. Your blood meter and some form of glucose are always with you.

    It takes years to get the hang of it and get the right amount of insulin at the right times. I describe controlling your blood sugar with insulin like trying to walk around all day balancing an egg on your head! LOL. REally. It know it is a struggle for me and many others. All you have to do is go to the American Diabetes Association's message boards to see how horrific controlling your blood sugar is. I think the show should have considered how they would have to keep up the diabetes storyline season after season.

    Listen to Bret Michaels and Mary Tyler Moore. They have quite vocal about what it's like to live with the disease.

  6. #96
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    14,964

    Re: Army Wives - Season 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3947283;
    The writers had Claudia Joy get diabetes. I don't think they did a very good job explaining the difference in Type I and Type II. Obviously, she had Type I. Since then they have not demonstrated what a full time job having Type I Diabetes is. I know because I have it.

    Because you take insulin, you are regularly checking your blood sugar, especially when you are first diagnosed. Your blood meter and some form of glucose are always with you.

    It takes years to get the hang of it and get the right amount of insulin at the right times. I describe controlling your blood sugar with insulin like trying to walk around all day balancing an egg on your head! LOL. REally. It know it is a struggle for me and many others. All you have to do is go to the American Diabetes Association's message boards to see how horrific controlling your blood sugar is. I think the show should have considered how they would have to keep up the diabetes storyline season after season.

    Listen to Bret Michaels and Mary Tyler Moore. They have quite vocal about what it's like to live with the disease.
    Yes, Type II they could have gotten away with a lot less "work" for CJ in keeping things normal....she could even have just popped a couple of pills every day, once the initial stabilization period was over, and checked in with her doc every couple of months. On the other hand since most people with Type II are overweight (not all, but most) that story would make less sense.

  7. #97
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Army Wives - Season 3

    I was sure they said type 2 for Claudia Joy, and I know in the beginning I did monitor and everything, but I never needed insulin only pill medication, so was surprised when she had to do shots.

  8. #98
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,798

    Re: Army Wives - Season 3

    Perhaps they didn't make it clear which kind she had, but they certainly wouldn't put a person on insulin immediately, unless they were a Type I. Type I, also called Juvenile Diabetes, is when your pancreas is not producing insulin. (You can get this at any age according to my endocrinoligst.) No diet will help and pills don't help either. You have to take insulin. With a Type II they would recommend pills, diet, excercise, weight loss and then see if the blood sugar levels come down.

    With Type II, you still make insulin, but the body does not utilize it very well. That's why the pills, excercise and diet work. It helps the body use the insulin that it is producing.

    It is very unlikely a relatively young, thin, person would develop Type II. I know because that's what happened to me. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be rare according to what medical people have told me.

    Maybe they will give an explanation about her condition down the road.

    Brothers and Sisters also has one of the main characters child with diabetes. Not much about it after the initial diagnosis though. They may think they are raising awarness, but they are creating a false sense of what living with this condition is like.

  9. #99
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    14,964

    Re: Army Wives - Season 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3947882;
    Perhaps they didn't make it clear which kind she had, but they certainly wouldn't put a person on insulin immediately, unless they were a Type I. Type I, also called Juvenile Diabetes, is when your pancreas is not producing insulin. (You can get this at any age according to my endocrinoligst.) No diet will help and pills don't help either. You have to take insulin. With a Type II they would recommend pills, diet, excercise, weight loss and then see if the blood sugar levels come down.

    With Type II, you still make insulin, but the body does not utilize it very well. That's why the pills, excercise and diet work. It helps the body use the insulin that it is producing.

    It is very unlikely a relatively young, thin, person would develop Type II. I know because that's what happened to me. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be rare according to what medical people have told me.

    Maybe they will give an explanation about her condition down the road.

    Brothers and Sisters also has one of the main characters child with diabetes. Not much about it after the initial diagnosis though. They may think they are raising awarness, but they are creating a false sense of what living with this condition is like.
    Right, you never see them worrying about shots, keeping insulin refridgerated, etc. Occasionally there's some remark about cake...

    Well, maybe CJ is meant to be like you.... And now she's on pills....

  10. #100
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,798

    Re: Army Wives - Season 3

    Does anyone recall the name of the on-line car locating site Roxy's husband used to find her a new car?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.